Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager?  

334 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Screenshot_20200628-142959_Chrome.jpg.25ca4efaed9c85a39c4b99f96c166fda.jpg

Suppose that makes, at least, 3 years of homophobic, racist and sexist "banter" alright.

I’ll be honest with you, I hadn’t read/watched the full video or transcript. Is that all that was said on the matter? I agree that transcript alone isn’t sufficient 

17 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

I was under the impression he made a public apology and then attended “Kick it out” training who then gave their support for him receiving another job. I dislike being on the side of the person who made racist comments but I’m unsure what else you would like him to have done after having made the comments. 

I understand if what he’s said means for you he should never be a manager again but I don’t know what else would be appropriate for him to do in terms of rehabilitation 

It's not really for me to suggest what an acceptable amount of contrition is for bigotry.

I would probably judge on a case by case basis. 

42 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

Would I be disappointed if Malky Mackay was Aberdeen manager based on his past comments and attitudes? Yes very much so. 
Do I think Malky Mackay should never be a football manager again? No 
Do I think people should be allowed the opportunity to change and show that they have developed as a person? Yes 

I think by not letting people the chance to change you entrench people’s views. I thought Mackays comments were disgusting and I abhor the views within them. However, I did my dissertation on criminal punishment and the majority of my honours courses were in criminology, criminal justice etc on way to qualifying as a solicitor and my studies have made me very pro giving people a second chance. I totally understand why some people hold the view he shouldn’t be appointed, I sympathise with that view but I will always defend someone’s chance to move on and try to put their past behind them. If people think his past is too much for him to ever get a job again I think it’s a valid opinion to hold but I disagree. 

I've no problem with giving people second chances but there are limits. 

A banker convicted of fraud or money laundering won't get a second chance in the financial sector.

A doctor caught misusing prescription drugs won't get a second chance in the medical sector.

And a football manager who's shown themselves to be racist, homophobic, anti-Semitic and sexist shouldn't get a second chance in football.

Just now, RussellAnderson said:

united fans - contact your club, let then know of your opposition to this. if dundee fans can stop Billy Dodds from being appointed assistant for his previous actions, yous can surely have an influence here. 

I already have, I hope others do the same.

If you leave aside the dreadful stuff he said (although you absolutely shouldn't), what makes him a good candidate?

He had a good season at Cardiff once. Has he done much else in management? He's not been a manager for a few years now.

I’ve e-mailed the club saying that I will not be attending games or supporting the club in any other way if Mackay is appointed manager; I’ve already bought my ST so it’s probably a futile gesture.

I really hope this doesn’t happen.

I’ve e-mailed the club saying that I will not be attending games or supporting the club in any other way if Mackay is appointed manager; I’ve already bought my ST so it’s probably a futile gesture.

What email address did you use?

2 minutes ago, Jock Tamson said:
6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

What email address did you use?

The one at the bottom of the contact page on the website.

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/contact

Most of the posters on P&B seem to be decent, fairly principled people.

I feel sorry for the United posters for the position their club has put them in and I hope the club listen to what they are saying.

We can all find forums and tweets where fans of any club would forgive absolutely anything and be happy their club got Fred West in to manage because they thought it would bring some success.

It's a shite position to be in.

Guest bernardblack

Speaking to Mackay, even knowing how horrible a person he is, is bad enough. But he’s not had a managers job in five years...so personal stuff aside, why is he even a contender?

Mind boggling stuff