Lib Dem leadership

ICTChris

One of the candidates for the leadership of the Lib Dems has declared that she will make voting Lib Dem cool again.

Layla Moran promised that she will be radical, will reconnect with young people and will make voting Lib Dem cool.

https://www.businessinsider.com/moran-starmer-labour-should-fear-me-lib-dem-leader-2020-6?amp&r=US&IR=T&fbclid=IwAR2RABFVE7H7QBxmNVa0zBtaMDdGO0TtM4LcZrZZuTBO9OD-RhSqB1bFCp0&r=US&IR=T&__twitter_impression=true

Is everyone looking forward to the Liberal Democrat’s becoming cool af again? We will all compete to boast about who voted for them first and try and find vintage Paddy Ashdown rosettes to wear campaigning.

29 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

One of the candidates for the leadership of the Lib Dems has declared that she will make voting Lib Dem cool again.

Layla Moran promised that she will be radical, will reconnect with young people and will make voting Lib Dem cool.

https://www.businessinsider.com/moran-starmer-labour-should-fear-me-lib-dem-leader-2020-6?amp&r=US&IR=T&fbclid=IwAR2RABFVE7H7QBxmNVa0zBtaMDdGO0TtM4LcZrZZuTBO9OD-RhSqB1bFCp0&r=US&IR=T&__twitter_impression=true

Is everyone looking forward to the Liberal Democrat’s becoming cool af again? We will all compete to boast about who voted for them first and try and find vintage Paddy Ashdown rosettes to wear campaigning.

Put a bet on her ages ago at 2/1, now odds on favourite. There's been zero publicity about this, thought they might have put it off until Covid's done.

Labour moving right means the Lib Dems will move left to perform their historic function of enabling the Tories. 

In 2010 they got 22% of the vote. Starmer and his backers don't seem to have considered that the Greens and Lib Dems can easily take millions of young voters from Labour. 

Edited by Detournement

6 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

What are libdems for in this day and age?

Anything they fancy, they'll never get elected so can promise the earth.

Can I also mention that Willie Rennie is the dullest person ever to walk the face of this or any other inhabited planet in the universe.

Edited by Romeo

5 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

What are libdems for in this day and age?

They fill a niche for middle-class folk who like to pretend they have a conscience but still want to be Tories in some form or other. 

I've only ever spoken to two folk in Scotland who vote Lib Dem, both were only doing so because they absolutely hate "wee krankie" but couldn't bring themselves to vote Tory and couldn't go back to voting Labour because Corbyn loves the IRA and because Diane Abbott. 

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

That surprises me a bit. What you describe is people radicalised by Facebook, as drippy and pointless as I think libdems are, I thought they were at least actively chosen by people who were largely immune to that.

I suspect folk often have differing reasons for voting for them in Scotland than they do in England tbf

On 20/06/2020 at 14:23, Richey Edwards said:

I honestly couldn't name any of their leaders post-Clegg. Completely irrelevant party.

28 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Bit like your views on politics if you don't know who Jo Swinson or Vince Cable are!

To be fair Richey's been in hiding since Paddy Ashdown was in charge. 

• 2 months later...
On 20/06/2020 at 13:21, ICTChris said:

Layla Moran lost so we can confirm that voting Lib Dem is not cool again.