American looking for an SPFL team

Just now, AmericanFan said:

Really just want someone who has a shot to finish top 4 and is somewhat interesting to follow (won't be bottom 3 for 90 percent of the season).

I'm kind of leaning towards Hibs. Why would Rangers hate Hibs most next to Celtic?

That's complicated, but partially because Hibs also have a history of being founded by Catholics

2 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

As a fellow North American I say welcome!  If you need help translating terms from Scottish to North American English I may be able to help, I've been around here for a few years

In terms of your OP, Hibs are good as long as you remember to stop watching at around the 85th minute mark, otherwise you will come to be very familiar with the term "Hibsing it"

Appreciate it!  Are you in Canada or Mexico?

Thanks for the heads up on Hibsing It.

6 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

I'm kind of leaning towards Hibs. Why would Rangers hate Hibs most next to Celtic?

Now you are stumbling into the controversial side of Scottish football.

A lot of the mindset of supporters comes from a long history of religion and heritage, we are trying to move away from it as a country, however some just won't let us all move on.

46 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Didn't make it to Aberdeen, and I must confess I have no clue where Motherwell is?

Aberdeen is gloominess personified unless it's sunny which it never is. For Motherwell think Rustbelt, but where you don't constantly get pestered by Michael Moore.

36 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Coastal working town. Docks, cruise port, shite fitba’ team, but decent fans who support their local side and don’t jump on buses to Celtic Park or Sevco Stadium. Renfrewshire derby rivals to my own team. I use the term rivals loosely, as the last time they were a top flight team, I think your president was Abraham Lincoln.

If you arrived in Edinburgh, and really liked Edinburgh, go for Hearts or Hibs. The way I am describing choosing a team is exactly the way I ended up being a Denver Broncos fan. Something happened there that impressed me over and above anywhere else I’d been in the USA, so chose them, that was back in 2009.

I decided to take an interest in the Broncos because of You Only Move Twice. I regret nothing. 

Has to be Hibs.
  • We are owned by a US television tycoon (Ron Gordon). 
  • One of the biggest and oldest clubs in Scotland. 
  • Largest premiership stadium outside of the OF and highest average attendances in recent years. 
  • The beautiful Scottish Capital's only Premiership club. 
  • Leith, where the club is based, is a very much up-and-coming area/becoming pretty trendy.  You can visit one of the two Michelin Star restaurants at the waterfront whilst you are there. 
  • Famous past with players such as George Best having graced our team (ha). 
  • Our badge is a thing of beauty - signifying everything we are as a club in terms of our heritage and our present.
  • Our next season's strip has "Thank You NHS" on it as the main "sponsor", which has been hailed up and down the UK. 
  • We have a healthy rivalry with Hearts in the "Edinburgh Derby" which is by far and away the second biggest fixture in the Scottish calendar after the Old Firm derby.  Great matches to attend.  Might be a few years though. 
  • Rangers FC hate us more than anyone else bar Celtic.  This is as ringing an endorsement as you can get.
  • A good enough team that you will get to see us go on a little European jaunt every couple of years (some very short mind you...don't look for the Malmo game please).  We recently won the Scottish Cup and c.10 years ago the League Cup...so decent recent returns. 
  • Have the best club anthem in Scottish Football with Sunshine on Leith - 
  •  

Is Leith still “up and coming”

It got tagged that when I lived in Edinburgh for a couple of years.

I left in 1999.

Hibs and Motherwell should have a preseason play off for your affections.

If the location is important then Hibs are your team.

If being able to engage with the club is important then it’s Motherwell.

Edited by ropy

7 minutes ago, ropy said:

Hibs and Motherwell should have a preseason play off for your affections.

If the location is important than Hibs are your team.

If being able to engage with the club is important then it’s Motherwell.

Cheers.

29 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Why is that with St. Mirren?

It’s because we have a penchant for fcuking over the Jambos. We’re awfy’ good at it too.

...you may need this post translated into English.

1 hour ago, AmericanFan said:

I visited Edinburgh, Glasgow, Oban, Glencoe and the Islands of Mull and Staffa. I'm sort of leaning towards Hibernian as Edinburgh was very enjoyable.  Didn't make it to Aberdeen, and I must confess I have no clue where Motherwell is?

Best keep it that way, imho.