American looking for an SPFL team

11 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Any non-OF teams runs in Europe usually mean an embarrassing defeat in Estonia, Finland or Iceland so just go the full hog and support a proper diddy club who can't shame you on the domestic and european stage.

Apologies in advance, but what is an OF team and/or diddy club?

Football wise I'd go for Motherwell but the town's a shithole as Donald would say, so I'd go for St Johnstone who have a astonishing record for qualifying for the Europa League in recent years, and a much more pleasant place to visit, apart from the stadium.

Has to be Hibs.

• We are owned by a US television tycoon (Ron Gordon). 
  • One of the biggest and oldest clubs in Scotland. 
  • Largest premiership stadium outside of the OF and highest average attendances in recent years. 
  • The beautiful Scottish Capital's only Premiership club. 
  • Leith, where the club is based, is a very much up-and-coming area/becoming pretty trendy.  You can visit one of the two Michelin Star restaurants at the waterfront whilst you are there. 
  • Famous past with players such as George Best having graced our team (ha). 
  • Our badge is a thing of beauty - signifying everything we are as a club in terms of our heritage and our present.
  • Our next season's strip has "Thank You NHS" on it as the main "sponsor", which has been hailed up and down the UK. 
  • We have a healthy rivalry with Hearts in the "Edinburgh Derby" which is by far and away the second biggest fixture in the Scottish calendar after the Old Firm derby.  Great matches to attend.  Might be a few years though. 
  • Rangers FC hate us more than anyone else bar Celtic.  This is as ringing an endorsement as you can get.
  • A good enough team that you will get to see us go on a little European jaunt every couple of years (some very short mind you...don't look for the Malmo game please).  We recently won the Scottish Cup and c.10 years ago the League Cup...so decent recent returns. 
  • Have the best club anthem in Scottish Football with Sunshine on Leith - 
  •  
Edited by AberdeenHibee

5 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Apologies in advance, but what is an OF team and/or diddy club?

OF (acronym); 'Old Firm'. Rangers or Celtic.

diddy (adj,. pejorative); small, wee, insignficant. . Which teams qualify as 'diddy' varies wildly from speaker to speaker.

Edited by Aim Here

25 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Thanks.

I'm a Sporting KC fan, but what Atlanta has done as an organization is incredible. I like their away kit, and agreed, it does look MLS-ish.

Dundee United should be your team, how's Johnny Russell getting on?

We have American owners as well from Minnesota, also have two Americans in our team. Will be aiming for Europa League next season, as we seem to be on track to sign two or three high profile players.

(Plus we've beat Barcelona 4 times)

4 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

I flew in to Edinburgh. Can't say I know where Greenock is.

Coastal working town. Docks, cruise port, shite fitba’ team, but decent fans who support their local side and don’t jump on buses to Celtic Park or Sevco Stadium. Renfrewshire derby rivals to my own team. I use the term rivals loosely, as the last time they were a top flight team, I think your president was Abraham Lincoln.

If you arrived in Edinburgh, and really liked Edinburgh, go for Hearts or Hibs. The way I am describing choosing a team is exactly the way I ended up being a Denver Broncos fan. Something happened there that impressed me over and above anywhere else I’d been in the USA, so chose them, that was back in 2009.

Guest Flash
19 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Chiefs. I'm from KC.

I’d say Hearts as they are currently off to see the Wonderful Wizard of Oz who will grant them their wishes.

I guess it would help if you describe what you look for in a team?

You said you won't pick Celtic, so it's good you are not a glory hunter.

Do you like your teams to be controversial, hated by all, loved by all, large fan base, underdogs, historic.....?

8 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Dundee United should be your team, how's Johnny Russell getting on?

We have American owners as well from Minnesota, also have two Americans in our team. Will be aiming for Europa League next season, as we seem to be on track to sign two or three high profile players.

(Plus we've beat Barcelona 4 times)

Russell has been a very good addition for us the last few years. Had a nice assist prior to the season getting postponed. Good to hear there are some Americans in the league there.

Just now, AmericanFan said:

Russell has been a very good addition for us the last few years. Had a nice assist prior to the season getting postponed. Good to hear there are some Americans in the league there.

I can strongly advise not to pick Dundee United as your team.

10 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Coastal working town. Docks, cruise port, shite fitba’ team, but decent fans who support their local side and don’t jump on buses to Celtic Park or Sevco Stadium. Renfrewshire derby rivals to my own team. I use the term rivals loosely, as the last time they were a top flight team, I think your president was Abraham Lincoln.

If you arrived in Edinburgh, and really liked Edinburgh, go for Hearts or Hibs. The way I am describing choosing a team is exactly the way I ended up being a Denver Broncos fan. Something happened there that impressed me over and above anywhere else I’d been in the USA, so chose them, that was back in 2009.

Gotcha. Appreciate it. I'm kind of leaning towards Hibs.

Long story, but I know some of Drew Lock's family (he's from KC and played university ball at Missouri), so I'm rooting for him whenever they don't play the Chiefs.

As a fellow North American I say welcome!  If you need help translating terms from Scottish to North American English I may be able to help, I've been around here for a few years

In terms of your OP, Hibs are good as long as you remember to stop watching at around the 85th minute mark, otherwise you will come to be very familiar with the term "Hibsing it"

9 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I guess it would help if you describe what you look for in a team?

You said you won't pick Celtic, so it's good you are not a glory hunter.

Do you like your teams to be controversial, hated by all, loved by all, large fan base, underdogs, historic.....?

Really just want someone who has a shot to finish top 4 and is somewhat interesting to follow (won't be bottom 3 for 90 percent of the season).

I'm kind of leaning towards Hibs. Why would Rangers hate Hibs most next to Celtic?