American looking for an SPFL team

American here looking for an SPFL team to follow for the upcoming season. I've eliminated Celtic and Rangers because that would be too easy (and would be like someone outside of the states choosing the Yankees or Red Sox in American baseball), but want a team that has a chance to finish in the top 4 and possibly play in the Europa League.

So far looking at Aberdeen, Hibernian and Motherwell. Any thoughts or want to pitch me on your squad?

The person who runs the Twitter account was very helpful, so now I'm coming to the board for thoughts as well.

Cheers.

P.S.  I enjoyed my trip to Scotland a few summers ago.

3 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Welcome 

Aberdeen are the team for you 

Our Chairman is US based and we have recently linked up with Atlanta United

https://www.afc.co.uk/2019/11/25/aberdeen-fc-and-atlanta-united-enter-into-strategic-partnership/

Our new away top looks like something of the MLS

Thanks.

I'm a Sporting KC fan, but what Atlanta has done as an organization is incredible. I like their away kit, and agreed, it does look MLS-ish.

6 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

American here looking for an SPFL team to follow for the upcoming season. I've eliminated Celtic and Rangers because that would be too easy (and would be like someone outside of the states choosing the Yankees or Red Sox in American baseball), but want a team that has a chance to finish in the top 4 and possibly play in the Europa League.

So far looking at Aberdeen, Hibernian and Motherwell. Any thoughts or want to pitch me on your squad?

The person who runs the Twitter account was very helpful, so now I'm coming to the board for thoughts as well.

Cheers.

P.S.  I enjoyed my trip to Scotland a few summers ago.

Where did you visit on your trip and enjoy staying? A connection to a place you have been may sway you.

Not that you would ever be a Dundee fan if you want European football. We are shite.

Aberdeen blocked a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to change the SPFL voting structure back in 2012. Just as bad as Celtgers. Hearts are in the process of humiliating themselves greatly, and you don't deserve to be associated with that kind of foolhardiness.

Whoever you pick will never wrest the top prize away from Celtic, so you're as well to choose one of the diddies. We won't be playing in Europe in this lifetime, but we did steal our modern club crest from an American high school netball team (IIRC), so Alloa Athletic should be the clear frontrunners IMO.

Any non-OF teams runs in Europe usually mean an embarrassing defeat in Estonia, Finland or Iceland so just go the full hog and support a proper diddy club who can't shame you on the domestic and european stage.

Edited by Comrie

Just now, johnnydun said:

Where did you visit on your trip and enjoy staying? A connection to a place you have been may sway you.

Not that you would ever be a Dundee fan if you want European football. We are shite.

I visited Edinburgh, Glasgow, Oban, Glencoe and the Islands of Mull and Staffa. I'm sort of leaning towards Hibernian as Edinburgh was very enjoyable.  Didn't make it to Aberdeen, and I must confess I have no clue where Motherwell is?

If you’ve been to Scotland, pick a team from a town or city that you visited, enjoyed, and therefore have some connection to, even in a small way.  However, if you first arrived in Scotland on a cruise ship that docked in Greenock, and liked Greenock, then definitely, go for Aberdeen, Hibs, or Motherwell.

Just now, AmericanFan said:

Chiefs. I'm from KC.

In that case you're a good guy and you are most welcome here. 

If you stick around the forum after picking your team make sure to contribute to the NFL subsection. 

7 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Aberdeen blocked a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to change the SPFL voting structure back in 2012. Just as bad as Celtgers. Hearts are in the process of humiliating themselves greatly, and you don't deserve to be associated with that kind of foolhardiness.

Whoever you pick will never wrest the top prize away from Celtic, so you're as well to choose one of the diddies. We won't be playing in Europe in this lifetime, but we did steal our modern club crest from an American high school netball team (IIRC), so Alloa Athletic should be the clear frontrunners IMO.

What are the diddies?

Also, no netball teams here. I had no clue what it was until some Aussies on a recent trip showed me a video.

3 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

What are the diddies?

Hearts, Dundee United, Hamilton Accies..etc, the small clubs.

Spoiler

I am of course joking. It's what the Old Firm like to call every other club.

Edited by johnnydun

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

If you’ve been to Scotland, pick a team from a town or city that you visited, enjoyed, and therefore have some connection to, even in a small way.  However, if you first arrived in Scotland on a cruise ship that docked in Greenock, and liked Greenock, then definitely, go for Aberdeen, Hibs, or Motherwell.

I flew in to Edinburgh. Can't say I know where Greenock is.