Season 2020/21 - if/when?

6 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

And success for Aberdeen and Dundee United in Scotland and in Europe as the OF fans forgot about loyalty.  Bring those days back.

Aberdeen league champions 1980 19841985          

Dundee Utd league champions1983

We shall remember

Edited by Tutankhamen
Eff the SFA

I long for the days of home/away. Can’t understand why we often have two home then two away now. Doesn’t seem any logical reason
It is literally impossible for every club to have alternate home and away fixtures.

Let's take the simple example of a 4 team league.

Week 1: A v B, C v D
Week 2: B v C, D v A

Then, in Week 3 clearly A should play C and B should play D. However, both A and B had an away game the previous week, so one of them will have to play away again. Likewise for B and D, one will have to play at home twice in a row.

On 28/06/2020 at 10:15, theoriginalhedge said:

Struggling with your point here. Most SPFL member clubs have been in existence for 50- 100 years or more and have survived with or without TV money and fluctuating league money. They learn to live within the resources available to them.  ( obviously there are a few exceptions who constantly spend money they don't have in the vain hope of tainted success ;) ) 

Why should part time clubs be denied the chance to progress to full time should the chance arise ?  That totally flies in the face of Kelty's  accusations of denying "progressive and ambitious clubs " like them. 

Some Premier clubs struggle to get 2500 crowds.   Just saying . 

Just trying to find a solution to problems ahead, clubs obviously need TV money etc - are worried about getting relegated into the LL or HL with the lack of income that it brings. Was trying to find a way for part-time clubs to compete better, or are clubs like Stenny,Albion etc very happy to stay where they are ? 

14 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Don't know if you remember the early 1980s but Scottish football outside of about 6 top clubs was reduced to part time clubs because of a collapse in crowds.

Yeah remember those days,and in reality the crowds haven't come back. Just trying to find a way to get clubs to survive and compete better v clubs on a similar footing, rather than out of their depth sometimes, and an annual battle against relegation. Am pre guessing how the spfl may look in the future, with clubs wanting to hibernate etc.

13 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It is literally impossible for every club to have alternate home and away fixtures.

Let's take the simple example of a 4 team league.

Week 1: A v B, C v D
Week 2: B v C, D v A

Then, in Week 3 clearly A should play C and B should play D. However, both A and B had an away game the previous week, so one of them will have to play away again. Likewise for B and D, one will have to play at home twice in a row.

I know it is impossible for it to be completely home/away but in general it could be and every so often you would have two at home or two away. It may be that the smaller divisions exacerbates it in comparison to my rose tinted spectacled view of the old days.

2 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Just trying to find a solution to problems ahead, clubs obviously need TV money etc - are worried about getting relegated into the LL or HL with the lack of income that it brings. Was trying to find a way for part-time clubs to compete better, or are clubs like Stenny,Albion etc very happy to stay where they are ? 

The smaller clubs often have their high points . Stenny and Albion Rovers as you quote  have both gone up and down the leagues and can't really be criticised for their lack of ambition.  My club are currently in the doldrums after spending the best part of 40 years competing at a higher level.  Montrose are currently doing well both on and off the park after spending a long time in the lower reaches and dicing with the trapdoor.  Basically football is cyclic. 

Yes every club in league two has the fear of relegation and sometimes  it is not till they are faced with it as club 42 that they realise that they need to be less complacent and maybe change the way they are run. 

It is getting tougher for part time teams no doubt about it but clubs have to adapt to a much more competitive and professional environment.  Most are doing just that by upgrading hospitality facilities,  tapping into corporate sponsorship  and  offering business shares in the clubs along with club lotteries , fundraisers and community input .  The ones unwilling to change will be the ones who will fall by the wayside.  Relying on league money alone is not an option. 

On 27/06/2020 at 16:13, Charliechurch said:

What are QP doing with their £50K?

Community projects or Ray McKinnon’s transfer fund?

Easy for Hampden Diehard to criticise Kilmarnock and others (but never his pals down the Louden 😃😃), but are QP really in the position to be casting aspersions with Willie Haughey (a former Celtic director) bankrolling them?

So HD's opinion  = QP's opinion?

Wattie Arnott was much better at this.

11 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

So HD's opinion  = QP's opinion?

Wattie Arnott was much better at this.

We'll be having a £50k sesh for the fans once the club bar opens. All the pakora you can eat as well. You heard it here first.

It's been confirmed that league 1, like the championship will commence the new season on 17th October with sides facing eachother 3 times. It's been reported that league 2 clubs are still in talks.

Surely they have to follow suit? If not the SPFL do have the option to combine leagues 1 & 2 but I think that's only in the event some teams with to mothball for a season.

It's been confirmed that league 1, like the championship will commence the new season on 17th October with sides facing eachother 3 times. It's been reported that league 2 clubs are still in talks.
Surely they have to follow suit? If not the SPFL do have the option to combine leagues 1 & 2 but I think that's only in the event some teams with to mothball for a season.

Who or what is the hold up in League 2?

Surely now that League 1 have voted for and confirmed a 27 game schedule, it is no longer an option to have an expanded League 1?

I'd say the only issues remaining for League 2 are exactly when they start and whether all 10 teams are willing to participate.

1 hour ago, Andy groundhopper said:

At least we have a potential start date, (after furlough ? ) any more news on any div2  clubs wantng to have a season off ? all depends on whether fans are allowed in to provide income I imagine. 

Brechin had last season off so they should be good to go . 

Surely now that League 1 have voted for and confirmed a 27 game schedule, it is no longer an option to have an expanded League 1?

I'd say the only issues remaining for League 2 are exactly when they start and whether all 10 teams are willing to participate.

If they’re not willing there are teams in Lowland and Highland who would happily step up.

Do you guys still think football with crowds will be coming back in October? I read this yesterday which seems to cast some doubt on it. Really hope this isn’t the case though - I’m a Brora fan & the Highland League haven’t got a set date yet, but with any luck it’ll be October as well. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-government-collision-course-nicola-22293031