Season 2020/21 - if/when?

22 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Every single time that there was a vacancy in the SFL, several teams were willing to apply, which suggests there was substantial demand for a league place, and yet the SFL made absolutely no effort to introduce any sort of mechanism to allow entry. A completely closed shop, in other words. A club could have had a 100k seater stadium and it wouldn't have mattered to them.

They did however let a team in that had a 50k seater stadium.

2 hours ago, spiders4ever said:

They did however let a team in that had a 50k seater stadium.

At the expense of Spartans who had expressed their interest around that time should a space become available. 

Absolutely no outcry from the media then on how unfair it was on Spartans. 

On 24/06/2020 at 19:17, Pie Of The Month said:

That might be the word from the SPFL Trust (and it wasn't actually their money, but Anderson's) but I'd still argue that the funds were originally intended to assist clubs, not for them to dish out to pet causes. The community benefit angle was probably to utilise Gift Aid, which, of course, does mean that there's more in the kitty. That said, don't come crying to me when Killie fold but the Celtic meals on wheels project celebrates delivering its 100000th fish supper.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

That might be the word from the SPFL Trust (and it wasn't actually their money, but Anderson's) but I'd still argue that the funds were originally intended to assist clubs, not for them to dish out to pet causes. The community benefit angle was probably to utilise Gift Aid, which, of course, does mean that there's more in the kitty. That said, don't come crying to me when Killie fold but the Celtic meals on wheels project celebrates delivering its 100000th fish supper.

That's quite a long winded way of apologising for accusing @craigkillie of making something up when he clearly hadn't.

Reports in the press that clubs voting on a 27 game season starting 7 October. The teams in each league would meet home and away, with the SPFL using "reasonable endeavours" to ensure no more than five of any club's other nine fixtures are away.

This seems like a sensible approach in the circumstances. But why “reasonable endeavours”? Surely straightforward - just repeat the first set nine matches?

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 18:12, Pie Of The Month said:

That's quite a long winded way of apologising for accusing @craigkillie of making something up when he clearly hadn't.

What are QP doing with their £50K?

Community projects or Ray McKinnon’s transfer fund?

Easy for Hampden Diehard to criticise Kilmarnock and others (but never his pals down the Louden 😃😃), but are QP really in the position to be casting aspersions with Willie Haughey (a former Celtic director) bankrolling them?

Edited by Charliechurch

On 26/06/2020 at 09:12, Pie Of The Month said:

I wasn't apologising and I'm sure he couldn't care less. I'm also sure he won't be mentally scarred.  My point stands. Giving the money away is crap.

8 minutes ago, Charliechurch said:

What are QP doing with their 50K?

Community projects or Ray MacKinnon’s transfer fund?

Easy for Hampden Diehard to criticise Kilmarnock and others (but never his pals down the Louden 😃😃), but are QP really in the position to be casting aspersions with Willie Haughey (a former Celtic director) bankrolling them?

That post's all over the place; makes me sound lucid.

Louden Castle? Gutted when that shut. Loved the dodgems.

24 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

That post's all over the place; makes me sound lucid.

Louden Castle? Gutted when that shut. Loved the dodgems.

Easy enough question, HD.

What are QP intending to do with their £50K?.

Community projects or the promotion slush fund? 😃😃

Edited by Charliechurch

Reports in the press that clubs voting on a 27 game season starting 7 October. The teams in each league would meet home and away, with the SPFL using "reasonable endeavours" to ensure no more than five of any club's other nine fixtures are away.

This seems like a sensible approach in the circumstances. But why “reasonable endeavours”? Surely straightforward - just repeat the first set nine matches?

That is probably what will happen in practice but a guy in that position is always going to be slightly vague about it. He isn't going to guarantee that publicly in case some anomaly pops up which throws those fixtures off a wee bit and then you have fans (or even clubs) whining about how unfair it is.

My view is that they should publicly hold a random draw to decide which 5 teams in each division get an extra home game, just to save any conspiracy theories.

I'm more worried that the brains trust of Brian McLauchlin and Tyrone Smith had to come together to co-author a 6 paragraph article about the thing and yet couldn't between the pair of them find out some of the basic facts such as how many clubs had to approve this.

How difficult can it be to ensure that all the teams have either four or five out of nine at home? "Reasonable endeavours"? - FFS.

I remember the days before computers when the guy David Thomson at the SFL bought a new pencil with a wee rubber on the end in June and came up with a schedule that gave you a pattern of home / away for about 90% of the season.

On 25/06/2020 at 18:37, theoriginalhedge said:

At the expense of Spartans who had expressed their interest around that time should a space become available. 

Absolutely no outcry from the media then on how unfair it was on Spartans. 

Poor old Spartans. Help set up the Lowland League. Win it in its first season when there was no League place play off and then some fly by night cowboys nip in, win the next two LL titles and get into the League..

Spoiler

Shame really... 8)

Think the realisation that following relegation,it won't be say Brechin v Montrose (fairly local) but instead v an  almost unknown Lowland Lge club. If spfl 1 & 2 clubs were getting 2,500 crowds then that may drop drastically, seems clubs are clinging onto spfl membership for TV/lge money alone,am I wrong ? Could we ever see different divisions of full and part time clubs kept apart ?

1 hour ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Think the realisation that following relegation,it won't be say Brechin v Montrose (fairly local) but instead v an  almost unknown Lowland Lge club. If spfl 1 & 2 clubs were getting 2,500 crowds then that may drop drastically, seems clubs are clinging onto spfl membership for TV/lge money alone,am I wrong ? Could we ever see different divisions of full and part time clubs kept apart ?

Struggling with your point here. Most SPFL member clubs have been in existence for 50- 100 years or more and have survived with or without TV money and fluctuating league money. They learn to live within the resources available to them.  ( obviously there are a few exceptions who constantly spend money they don't have in the vain hope of tainted success ;) ) 

Why should part time clubs be denied the chance to progress to full time should the chance arise ?  That totally flies in the face of Kelty's  accusations of denying "progressive and ambitious clubs " like them. 

Some Premier clubs struggle to get 2500 crowds.   Just saying . 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

How difficult can it be to ensure that all the teams have either four or five out of nine at home? "Reasonable endeavours"? - FFS.
I remember the days before computers when the guy David Thomson at the SFL bought a new pencil with a wee rubber on the end in June and came up with a schedule that gave you a pattern of home / away for about 90% of the season.

I long for the days of home/away. Can’t understand why we often have two home then two away now. Doesn’t seem any logical reason

Not just prize money, you lose access to the league and challenge cup. Admission prices are a lot lower in the Lowland league too plus a reduction in crowds.

11 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Don't know if you remember the early 1980s but Scottish football outside of about 6 top clubs was reduced to part time clubs because of a collapse in crowds.

10 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Don't know if you remember the early 1980s but Scottish football outside of about 6 top clubs was reduced to part time clubs because of a collapse in crowds.

And success for Aberdeen and Dundee United in Scotland and in Europe as the OF fans forgot about loyalty.  Bring those days back.