Season 2020/21 - if/when?

2 hours ago, Tenkay said:

Seems we might be keen to do this, and there was some talk off the League Cup groups starting in October as well.

Regards the 27 league games thing. That creates an imbalance off home and away fixtures, so I wonder if / how, we could create a 28th round of fixtures to even things up?  Maybe a round of local(ish) derby matches or something?

QP v Albion Rovers- quite local

Stirling v Stenny- quite local

Ed City v Cowden- feels further because you cross the Forth but not too far. A trip to Central Park and a pint in Wee Jimmy's isn't too bad for an extra game I suppose.

Annan v Stranraer- mileage is a bit more than Brechin v Ed City without the advantage of the M90

Elgin v Brechin- the Diddy City derby is a bit of a hike..

On 19/06/2020 at 06:09, highlandcowden said:

before my time but was the thinking behind the smaller top league that in the old system there was too big a gap in quality between the teams regularly at or around the top and at or around the bottom of it?

More to do with fewer teams to share the big money with.  They even made up stupid, unrealistic entry criteria to keep the smaller teams out . 

It was aptly named the SPL . Self Preservation League. 

We managed with an uneven number of games for 15 or so years in the old Division One and Two until 1994 without any huge issues so one season shouldn't be impossible. 

Would rather have that than waiting until January.

Be interesting to see a return in Sept/Oct and how many clubs are still going - IF clubs don't want to play, does this make them amateurs and not suited for membership of the spfl ? (only joking)  Think playing home and away is sufficient for 20/21 no need to play same club 3 or 4 times. Maybe season 21/22 could see a change in lge structure keeping part time and full time apart ?

6 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

More to do with fewer teams to share the big money with.  They even made up stupid, unrealistic entry criteria to keep the smaller teams out . 

Except that the smaller leagues were introduced by the SFL in 1975, over two decades before the SPL became a thing. It was simply named the Premier Division and fluctuated in size from that point onwards. Talking of keeping teams out, can you remind me what the entry criteria for promotion into the SFL were during the SPL era?

Edited by craigkillie

6 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Would Brechin vote to make bottom of League Two an automatic relegation spot?

On 23/06/2020 at 20:38, Hampden Diehard said:

Anyone else think that the teams who didn't need the Anderson money but applied for it anyway only to give it away, should have given it to teams who are hanging onto their existence by a baw hair? Grandstanding tossers.

Any idea what we did? 

Edited by Mick1867

Anyone else think that the teams who didn't need the Anderson money but applied for it anyway only to give it away, should have given it to teams who are hanging onto their existence by a baw hair? Grandstanding tossers.

You mean clubs who took money earmarked for community benefit and ensured that it was used for community benefit? The money wasn't intended to pay wages, so how would these struggling clubs have benefited from it beyond what they've already spent £50k on?

18 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Would Brechin vote to make bottom of League Two an automatic relegation spot?

Personally I would have had that at the very start of the pyramid . Don't know why it wasn't . 

But after all the false accusations , whining and personal slurs , I would hope that Brechin wouldn't vote for it now ........if only to rattle the cage of Tom English and all those who couldn't grasp the difference between a play off position and a straight relegation spot. 

18 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Except that the smaller leagues were introduced by the SFL in 1975, over two decades before the SPL became a thing. It was simply named the Premier Division and fluctuated in size from that point onwards. Talking of keeping teams out, can you remind me what the entry criteria for promotion into the SFL were during the SPL era?

Sorry I got my SFL and SPL mixed up . It's an age thing.  The criteria I was alluding to was obviously the 10k all seater stadiums which  I think denied Falkirk promotion on at least  one occasion if memory serves me correctly. ............A ridiculous criteria that the top league knew was beyond the financial reach of most in the league below.  

As for your comment about entry into the SFL , I can't remember any clamor from the HL at the time to gain entry and I don't think the LL was even  formed (I may be wrong ) . There were certainly no sugar daddies offering stupid money to the SFL players to defect to the lower leagues and labelling it as ambition as far as I know. 

30 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Personally I would have had that at the very start of the pyramid . Don't know why it wasn't . 

Your personal opinion is irrelevant. 

You're slagging top flight clubs for voting to "self preserve" instead of the "greater good", so would your club vote to open up the pyramid system for real? Or would they vote to "self preserve" and make sure theres no automatic relegation from League Two?

I think we both know the answer.

57 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Sorry I got my SFL and SPL mixed up . It's an age thing.  The criteria I was alluding to was obviously the 10k all seater stadiums which  I think denied Falkirk promotion on at least  one occasion if memory serves me correctly. ............A ridiculous criteria that the top league knew was beyond the financial reach of most in the league below.  

As for your comment about entry into the SFL , I can't remember any clamor from the HL at the time to gain entry and I don't think the LL was even  formed (I may be wrong ) . There were certainly no sugar daddies offering stupid money to the SFL players to defect to the lower leagues and labelling it as ambition as far as I know. 

Every single time that there was a vacancy in the SFL, several teams were willing to apply, which suggests there was substantial demand for a league place, and yet the SFL made absolutely no effort to introduce any sort of mechanism to allow entry. A completely closed shop, in other words. A club could have had a 100k seater stadium and it wouldn't have mattered to them.

On 23/06/2020 at 14:11, theoriginalhedge said:

Have to ask why most of the L2 clubs voted against 14-10-10-10?

Edited by welshbairn

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

You mean clubs who took money earmarked for community benefit and ensured that it was used for community benefit? The money wasn't intended to pay wages, so how would these struggling clubs have benefited from it beyond what they've already spent £50k on?

Let me take a wild guess - you support one of the teams that diverted the cash.

It was meant to offset operating costs and testing. You've just made up the "community benefit" thing.

22 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Let me take a wild guess - you support one of the teams that diverted the cash.

It was meant to offset operating costs and testing. You've just made up the "community benefit" thing.

He really hasn't.

https://spfltrust.org.uk/spfl-trust-announces-multimillion-pound-donation/

• Every club will be eligible to receive a £50,000 grant for support during the Covid-19 crisis, provided they evidence community benefit

In addition to that, there's the set of FAQs which explicitly outline club charities as one of the intended recipients.

Clubs may decide they do not want to apply for the grant, for their own purposes, but would be welcome to do so with the objective of donating to their associated charity.

Edited by craigkillie

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your personal opinion is irrelevant. 

You're slagging top flight clubs for voting to "self preserve" instead of the "greater good", so would your club vote to open up the pyramid system for real? Or would they vote to "self preserve" and make sure theres no automatic relegation from League Two?

I think we both know the answer.

This forum is all about personal opinion so yours is probably as irrelevant as mine.

IMO , self preservation is what is killing Scottish football. I am merely pointing out that it is as rotten at the top as it appears to be at the bottom. 

Whether or not Brechin would vote for something that has not even been tabled shows the desperation of some people to somehow score points  over an issue which should have been addressed right at the start of the pyramid.

Before this season, most of  the premier clubs , their fans and the media couldn't give a f**k about the lower leagues and even less about the LL and HL . Strange that now they are all experts on how the lower league clubs think and operate. 

Some of the club statements ,  "the dossier" and the toys out the pram shite from Hearts are really damaging and   just highlights the impossible task of coming up with a workable solution that everyone agrees on.