Season 2020/21 - if/when?

It would be good to get some clarity soon on whether there will be a 2020/21 season for us diddy clubs, and if so when and in what format.

Our chairman has said that there were talks of an October start, with the League Cup. This might have to have the groups held at Premier League grounds, as they will have facilities for coronavirus testing. This would obviously mean a reduced number of league games, but at least this would be planned and so fairer than 2019/20.

Nothing said about the Challenge Cup, but I can’t see this happening - at least in its current format - as unlikely that teams from foreign countries will want to travel for these matches.

And silence so far from the SFA on the Scottish Cup.

In my opinion cut the season to 2 games against each team home and away. Include the cups. Not sure of financial repercussions for clubs who may rely on a certain amount of home games and obviously season ticket prices would be reduced. However seems starting October would mean difficulty in finishing a season playing every team 4 times. Considering weather will ensure postponements also. Or extend season from October to end June to enable 4 games a season against each team

Edited by NELLY

In my opinion cut the season to 2 games against each team home and away. Include the cups.

One other possibility might be to schedule 27 games but say in advance that if the season is curtailed the first 18 home and away double headers will be all that counts. That way teams know in advance what will happen with an unfinished season.

SFL are consulting with League 1 and 2 clubs As to when they will be ready to start with October and January the most likely options. Hibernation of clubs is also an option. If a number of clubs specify they would prefer hibernation they may merge League 1 and 2 for one season.

2 hours ago, NELLY said:

In my opinion cut the season to 2 games against each team home and away. Include the cups.

Whenever we get to start I'd accept some curtailment of league and/or cup fixtures so that the 20/21 season ends around the usual time in May. I'd like to see football start as normal in August 2021 rather than playing catch up over 2-3 seasons.

SFL are consulting with League 1 and 2 clubs As to when they will be ready to start with October and January the most likely options. Hibernation of clubs is also an option. If a number of clubs specify they would prefer hibernation they may merge League 1 and 2 for one season.

So would this mean that a League 2 team winning a merged league would be promoted to the Championship? And conversely that a League 1 team finishing bottom would go into the relegation playoffs?

Some clubs might fancy this if the prize money from mothballed sides is added to the pot!

1 hour ago, Thom & Gerry said:

SFL are consulting with League 1 and 2 clubs As to when they will be ready to start with October and January the most likely options.

I've never understood why January gets quoted as an option!  What is magically going to happen in January?

Anyway the situation with Covid changes rapidly every week, and I can see things being more or less back to normal by September, certainly by October.

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

So would this mean that a League 2 team winning a merged league would be promoted to the Championship? And conversely that a League 1 team finishing bottom would go into the relegation playoffs?

Some clubs might fancy this if the prize money from mothballed sides is added to the pot!

That would be decided over 21 votes and a court case, not forgetting Kelty greeting about it.

3 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Good question there. If say there was a 20 team league then whoever finished top would deserve the title. Conversely the team finishing bottom of a league of that size would have little complaint.

4 minutes ago, Lesser Is More said:

Good question there. If say there was a 20 team league then whoever finished top would deserve the title. Conversely the team finishing bottom of a league of that size would have little complaint.

Assuming that all the clubs come out of hibernation I should've added. 

Well if 20 teams are playing we’ll have two ten team leagues and no problems with promotion, relegation and playoffs. But as soon as we have a single team in hibernation we have issues.

2 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Well if 20 teams are playing we’ll have two ten team leagues and no problems with promotion, relegation and playoffs. But as soon as we have a single team in hibernation we have issues.

The old league 2 was a 19 team league with every team having free Saturdays. A long time ago admittedly. Worked ok. I'm all in favour of leagues of this size, including the top league. 

We're never going to get this unfortunately. Imo. That's what the domestic game needs. I see your point, I've just never liked these 10 team leagues. 

2 minutes ago, Lesser Is More said:

The old league 2 was a 19 team league with every team having free Saturdays. A long time ago admittedly. Worked ok. I'm all in favour of leagues of this size, including the top league. 

We're never going to get this unfortunately. Imo. That's what the domestic game needs. I see your point, I've just never liked these 10 team leagues. 

Why did it change from 2 leagues then 3 then 4?

Why did it change from 2 leagues then 3 then 4?

Because the two league structure didn’t work. One team was dominating the top league. Most teams there had no chance of winning anything or being relegated, so lots of meaningless games. Few teams in the bottom league had a realistic chance of promotion; and if they did go up they usually came straight back down.

They could never decide what was best. The 10 team league structure was the worst idea of all. 

Sorted it for you mate. I absolutely detest the 10 team structure we have to endure. It’s bloody awful and repetitive playing the same teams again and again and again. The only positive is that leagues can be tight and a couple of wins on the bounce tend to bring you back into things if you are chasing Play Offs, Titles or whatever, but the league structure certainly is not exciting and never has been in my eyes.

With an 18, 19, 20 or whatever team league there's long stretches of the season where a lot of clubs have nothing to play for.  The way that Leagues 1 and 2 are set up just now, with the play-offs, means that usually even in the last few weeks of the season at least half of the league could potentially be promoted.  More to play for for longer, more excitement, more folk through the gates.  I like it.

I’m not seeing “more folk through the gates” in fact I would say by and large numbers appear to be falling at this level. Certainly that can be said with regards to the numbers of Away Support as people pick and choose games. Also, the biggest leagues in the world are big leagues in size as well, but they manage to attract people to these “meaningless games”, in some cases like the English Premier League, at astronomical prices. Why can we do that with our leagues (eventually)?

I suppose these are the debates that have been had at the top and they still can’t get to a decision because everyone has different opinions and I respect people’s opinions but for me personally, I think 3 leagues of 14 gives us the happy medium and a good balance to the problem.