Fixtures 2020/21

16 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

You need to pick your battles on things like this. It has absolutely no effect on the rest of Scottish football whether the Old Firm game is first or eleventh, so there is no need to gnash teeth about it. 

I do agree that the pandering to the Old Firm to the detriment of the rest of the league is ridiculous, for instance when they were able to arrange glamour friendlies which postponed league matches or the talk of Colt sides. But this one literally has no negative effect on anyone’s experience of watching Scottish football, it’s a non story. 

You're right in that this is less of a problem than some of the injustices you've highlighted there.

It exists on the same spectrum though, just at a different point along it.  Accepting it helps enable the other stuff.  If you tolerate this etc.

19 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Fine, I am guilty of acceptance that the SPFL has accommodated the needs of their broadcasting partners, in an environment where they are quite open about the fact clubs rely heavily on television income, and that the television contract is basically designed around one fixture.

Well, accepting your acceptance is probably a significant step for you.

The contract is not designed around one fixture at all.  How big would the contract be if it covered just four matches a season?

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The contract is not designed around one fixture at all.  How big would the contract be if it covered just four matches a season?

Sorry, MT. I won't be playing this game with you today.

Claim it as a P&B win if you wish, but there's nothing to be gained here.

28 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

It has absolutely no effect on the rest of Scottish football whether the Old Firm game is first or eleventh.

Not strictly true, in theory.

Both Celtic and Rangers are allowed to wait until the 11th game until their "hardest fixture" through choice, allowing them (in theory) 10 games in a row to build up early momentum. 

That's an early benefit in the fight for position compared to Aberdeen and Motherwell, who dont get to choose when their "hardest fixture" fits in to their schedule.

Isn't it possible that Celtic requested the first derby to be the final game of the first round, in the same way that (e.g.) Hearts and Raith Rovers requested to play on Remembrance weekend in 2015?

Isn't it also possible that Dundee Utd made the same request for their game against Aberdeen (knowing the fixture would be at Tannadice in the first round due to replacing Hearts)?

Edited by The Master

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Never heard a word from you about fairness in the hearts/Jags saga self interest got in the way monkey?

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Both Celtic and Rangers are allowed to wait until the 11th game until their "hardest fixture" through choice, allowing them (in theory) 10 games in a row to build up early momentum. 

That's an early benefit in the fight for position compared to Aberdeen and Motherwell, who dont get to choose when their "hardest fixture" fits in to their schedule.

Could debate that Livingstone is Celtic's hardest fixture pretty sure more points were dropped against them. 

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

4 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Bit of a stretch. 

Absolutely. Any supposed advantage is nullified as the other club has the exact same ‘advantage’. The same advantage or disadvantage is applied to a motherwell aberdeen fixture.

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

Absolutely. Any supposed advantage is nullified as the other club has the exact same ‘advantage’. The same advantage or disadvantage is applied to a motherwell aberdeen fixture.

Tell it to a judge. See you in court.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Sorry, MT. I won't be playing this game with you today.

Claim it as a P&B win if you wish, but there's nothing to be gained here.

Aw please play.  

I'm not claiming a win, but the point stands.  If the banter years taught us anything, it's that fixtures between the OF are not essential to a TV contract.  They boost it a little financially, but not hugely.  The important thing for TV companies is that they can show nearly all the away games for OF teams.  That's also thoroughly unjust of course, even before we consider how that TV money is distributed, but it's the reality.

It also means that the suggestion that "the TV deal is designed around one fixture" is simply not true.  When diddy fans accept and even parrot such falsehood, it's a depressing day, because we're certainly not going to see that received wisdom challenged by OF fans, or by figures in our media.

12 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Leslie Deans predictably saying that SPFL should have published two sets of fixture lists. One for Hearts, another for United. 

Leslie Deans is a tit, and if I were a Jambo, i would want him to shut the f**k up.

Clearly he believes that the arbitration panel that the SPFL were seeking all along, will reveal deep corruption and illegality within the SPFL and the vote, leading to an immediate return of Hearts to the top flight.

Can see from NDs appearance on Sky Sports this morning that he is clearly shiting himself, about what is about to be revealed!!

Here’s my theory around Deegate.

1. Nelms thought the vote was dead in the water as Aberdeen and Hibs had indicated they were looking to vote no.

2. Dead as it appeared to be, Nelms joined the No camp, as if the money wasn’t forthcoming anyway, why vote to promote your rivals and risk pissing off your own support when there is nothing to gain from it?

3. The No vote is cast, however is lost, but in the interim, Nelms learns that there’s is the casting vote, as Aberdeen and Hibs have in fact voted yes, and changing theirs to a yes would mean the immediate release of absolutely vital funds.

4. Nelms realises that it is in the best interests of Dundee to get the cash now (even with the cash, they have been having to lay off staff), and swallowed the fact that they’s have to promote United to do so. Not ideal, but they left themselves in this position.

This of course could be utter nonsense, however, I do not believe that there is a smoking gun that is going to be anything to excite anybody here. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

29 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Agreed. Another example is them never getting different numbers of home games after the split. That shit shouldn't be happening and I'm always amazed and saddened that so many folk, across all levels, from fans to boardrooms, are seemingly fine with it.

The uneven fixtures don't actually happen that often (roughly once every two seasons on average), and are typically given to the clubs who finish outside where they were "seeded" to finish since they are the ones who have, for the lack of a better phrase, messed up the fixture list.