Fixtures 2020/21

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Technically when Dundee aren't in the league and United are, we usually play them at new year as a watered down derby.

Sure. That's merely in addition to Hibs and United playing at home at the same time, though which is a bigger tell that they'll have to redo the entire fixture list.

4 minutes ago, true_rover said:

Clubs are allowed to make requests on fixture dates though (although not always met).

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It's never been completely random though. As well as the new year fixtures you have to keep teams in the same city from playing at home, it's already been discussed that derbies are never on the opening day, the champions are always at home on the opening day etc.

The idea that they just hit a button and it spits it out at random is a bit of a fallacy, no?

I find it more amusing that the SPFL would publically state it wasn't something they could (or were going to) do, then go and do it anyway.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I find it more amusing that the SPFL would publically state it wasn't something they could (or were going to) do, then go and do it anyway.

They said they'd have to have one in fixtures 1 to 11, and that they couldn't shift them back to guarantee crowds being in. Don't think they've contradicted that. There's no guarantee of a crowd on 17 October.

5 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Sure. That's merely in addition to Hibs and United playing at home at the same time, though which is a bigger tell that they'll have to redo the entire fixture list.

Sorry misunderstood the original point. Fair enough.

9 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

I would say it's more a case of the SPFL expecting it to be Dundee Utd.

In the "club 12" season, even though no team was mentioned the fixtures were quite obviously designed for Rangers (RIP) - never at home on the same weekend as Celtic, first game vs. Celtic in late September, etc.  We also ended up with a fair few fixture clashes with United.

I'm not saying Hearts will be reinstated (I've more chance of winning the lottery every draw this month), but I wouldn't read too much into the fixture list. They would just shunt the two of you to Fridays and Sundays to accommodate fixture clashes.

Edited by The Master

7 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

In the Club 12 season, Dundee United and Dundee ended up playing at home on the same day a few times and they just shifted those games to Friday nights or Sundays. Killie ended up having both as our luck had it - we drew 3-3 with United on a Friday night and 0-0 with Dundee on a Sunday.

3 minutes ago, Handsome John said:

Sky appear to be televising 13 of their allocated 48 fixtures in the first month of the season. 

im guessing that means they’re getting extra televised games this year too as part of the agreement to give up exclusivity

I'm led to believe that's not the case - I think they are just front-loading their games because their audience will be boosted by fans not being at the game (or other games).

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I'm led to believe that's not the case - I think they are just front-loading their games because their audience will be boosted by fans not being at the game (or other games).

Fair point. When is the English season due to start?

7 minutes ago, Handsome John said:

Sky appear to be televising 13 of their allocated 48 fixtures in the first month of the season. 

im guessing that means they’re getting extra televised games this year too as part of the agreement to give up exclusivity

Or they're going top-heavy while the only football is Scottish football (I should copyright that lest the SPFL decide to use it for promotional purposes).

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

That’s surprising as it would lead to at least 7 fixture rounds having no live games.

I’m sure that under this deal the SPFL were hoping to have a regular “appointment to view” TV match time. 

5 minutes ago, The Master said:

I would say it's more a case of the SPFL expecting it to be Dundee Utd.

In the "club 12" season, even though no team was mentioned the fixtures were quite obviously designed for Rangers (RIP) - never at home on the same weekend as Celtic, first game vs. Celtic in late September, etc.  We also ended up with a fair few fixture clashes with United.

I'm not saying Hearts will be reinstated (I've more chance of winning the lottery every draw this month), but I wouldn't read too much into the fixture list. They would just shunt the two of you to Fridays and Sundays to accommodate fixture clashes.

Celtic and Rangers would never be at home on the same day regardless of which division they are in. Police would oppose that.

9 minutes ago, Handsome John said:

That’s surprising as it would lead to at least 7 fixture rounds having no live games.

I’m sure that under this deal the SPFL were hoping to have a regular “appointment to view” TV match time. 

Can imagine everything will be up in the air a bit with this season in general in terms of times and so on. However, the reason I am led to believe it is still 48 is that a raging Rangers blogger/journalist at the Daily Express called "Bruce Archer" claimed that there would be extra games this season, and several people I trust said he was talking nonsense.

There are also still 35 more games to be spread across the remaining 32 matchweeks, so not sure where your figure of 7 weeks without a game comes from.

Edited by craigkillie

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Fair point. When is the English season due to start?

They don't finish until the end of July so it can't be until at least September you'd imagine. We will be clashing a bit with the Europa League and Champions League knock-out tournament though, because that's rattling on through August.

Edited by craigkillie

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Celtic and Rangers would never be at home on the same day regardless of which division they are in. Police would oppose that.

What relevance does that have to the "club 12" fixtures being Rangers (RIP) fixtures?