Marble League 2020

Lockdown has caused almost all sporting events worth watching come to a crashing halt. Some sports are making their first steps toward returning to normality but we’re not quite there yet.

The tedium, the lack of action, the endless debate around league reconstruction has led me down a youtube rabbit hole where I discovered Marble League.

Some Dutch lad Jelle has created a weird analogous world where marbles are sentient beings and have their own “nations” who compete against each other once a year in marble sports. Complete with commentary, host nations, qualifiers and opening and closing ceremonies.

So Marble League 2020 is soon upon us. The qualifiers take place on 18th June. There will be 16 teams in the Marble League itself with the opening ceremony on 21st June. 4 teams have already qualified (host team and the top three from 2019). There are 20 teams competing for the remaining 12 places.  

Pick your team...

latest?cb=20200520040121

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

Finally, a thread I can get on board with.

Now if only someone can explain why I find it so entertaining to watching a Dutch maniac roll small spheres of glass around.

Edit: 'to watching'? Jesus f**k.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

Just now, BigFatTabbyDave said:

He has fucking sponsors now?!

Jesus Christ. What have I been doing with my life.

Marble League 2020 is sponsored by John Oliver
There is a separate tournament called "Last Man Standing" which is sponsored by Arla and all the teams names are Dairy based puns
Formula E sponsored him to recreate all the tracks from the Formula E season and had individual marbles designed to recreate the look of real Formula E teams
There's also a betting site, can't mind which one, which has opened a book on the 2020 Marble League as well

4 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Right, I'm off to lie down before this happens.

BiodegradableVelvetyAnglerfish-size_rest

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackjones/2020/03/21/marble-racing-betting-odds-released-for-saturdays-marbula-one-qualifying-races/#378920c75f18

At
work so betting sites are closed to me. If someone could have a look and post the odds on the 2020 Marble League I can use the rest of the working day to work out my coupon

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackjones/2020/03/21/marble-racing-betting-odds-released-for-saturdays-marbula-one-qualifying-races/#378920c75f18

At
work so betting sites are closed to me. If someone could have a look and post the odds on the 2020 Marble League I can use the rest of the working day to work out my coupon

You should see the state of my coupon, having discovered folk are making money out of this...

Spoiler

Marbula One - Season 1, Race 6: Sunday 3:30 p.m. ET: 

First Place Team

Savage Speeders +500
Mellow Yellow +600
Team Primary +800
Hazers +800
Thunderbolts +1000
Limers +1000
O'rangers +1200
Green Ducks +1200
Team Galactic +1200
Hornets +1400
Rojo Rollers +1400
Team Momo +1400
Balls of Chaos +1400
Midnight Wisps +1600
Snowballs +1600
Raspberry Racers +1600 

Margin of victory (difference)

Over .50 seconds

Under .50 seconds

Fastest lap time

Over 20.0 seconds

Under 20.0 seconds

Slowest lap time

Over 24.0 seconds

Under 24.0 seconds 

Pole position of winner

Over 5.5

Under 5.5

Will winner come from Pole 10 or higher?

Yes +500

No -1000

Will winner record fastest lap?

Yes +250

No -400 

Total lead changes

Over 3.5

Under 3.5

Will there be a lead change during final lap?

Yes +400

No -750

Will two lead marbles make contact during final lap?

Yes +200

No -300

Will any marble not finish race? (Designated by "+1 lap" in race results)

Yes +200

No -300

Marbula One Team Championship

Team Galactic +300
Hazers +400
Savage Speeders +500
O'rangers +500
Green Ducks +600
Mellow Yellow +800
Team Primary +1000
Thunderbolts +1000
Limers +1000
Balls of Chaos +1200
Snowballs +1200
Midnight Wisps +1400
Raspberry Racers +2000
Rojo Rollers +2000
Team Momo +2500
Hornets +2800

Everyone involved knows the risks. No-one forces these marbles to take part and, from what I'm hearing, he's fine.

My only issue was the two sympathy points he got rather than just admitting he made the error and putting him in last place. Seems unfair he gets more points than the ones who managed to make it to the end without doing a Rod Hull.

Anyone bothering with tonight's glorified friendly?

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

Funnel endurance is massively improved with those bigger green funnels. Too often, with just the wee orange ones, it was pretty much over by the first two funnels. Minty Maniacs came 1st even tho' their first score would have seen them finish last in Heat B. Lucky swine