Craig Brown - Switzerland game 96

Canoeist

4 hours ago, Canoeist said:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0CfNNRiZNg8vwrDIWGsIfY?si=1lDVKGdRT5ugZ7QJMC6dkg

Listen to  Craig Brown from 81mins talking about Switzerland game.

Surely someone as meticulous as him could not have made this mistake, is he just recalling it wrongly?

What part are you referring to - him not knowing we needed another goal till midway thru the second half?

31 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

What part are you referring to - him not knowing we needed another goal till midway thru the second half?

Yes, everyone knew what was required albeit it was very unlikely. It was all over the media leading up to it that we needed a huge favour from our rivals.

I can only assume hes getting confused with another fixture, there is no way our management team dont know to check goal difference if you finish level on points with another team.

Him saying we thought we just needed a win was definitely seemed weird to me.  The table going into the game was:

England 4pts +2
Netherlands 4pts +2
Switzerland 1pt -2
Scotland 1pt -2

It was always going to come down to goal difference if we won, and we were always going to require a 4 or 5 goal swing over the Netherlands.

Edited by craigkillie

I think he’s not explaining it fully.  England were 4 up and Scotland were heading through as long as results stayed the same. 

England conceded in about the 80th minute, at which point we needed another goal. Either for us, or for England. 

Craig Brown often gets stats wrong these days.  I remember he was on Off The Ball a while ago where he defended Scotland losing to Georgia because Georgia "is a country of 35 million people."

Georgia's population is 3.5 million...

17 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Craig Brown often gets stats wrong these days.  I remember he was on Off The Ball a while ago where he defended Scotland losing to Georgia because Georgia "is a country of 35 million people."

You've got a point.

I think he’s not explaining it fully.  England were 4 up and Scotland were heading through as long as results stayed the same. 

England conceded in about the 80th minute, at which point we needed another goal. Either for us, or for England. 
Yeah that's exactly how I interpreted it. Until Kluivert scored, we were through.

Anyway, Broon is old enough now to be forgiven for forgetting the odd fact!

23 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Him saying we thought we just needed a win was definitely seemed weird to me.  The table going into the game was:

England 4pts +2
Netherlands 4pts +2
Switzerland 1pt -2
Scotland 1pt -2

It was always going to come down to goal difference if we won, and we were always going to require a 4 or 5 goal swing over England or the Netherlands.

It was head to head as the first tie-breaker if points were equal so we needed England to win. A win for the Netherlands would've meant that England finished above us because they'd beaten us.

Craig Brown got a bit of a rep for Scotland being quite negative and defensive but watching these Euro 96 games back again, Scotland carved out some right good chances against real quality sides. 

Tom Boyd was quite under rated as a full back I've noticed. 

Guest JTS98
4 hours ago, Lurkst said:

McCoist should've had a hat trick in the first half, rendering Kluivert's goal immaterial. 

Not just McCoist to be fair. Burley, Collins, Durie, Booth all missed good chances. And Pascolo's first save from McCoist in the first half was incredible. He should have scored the second one though. He scored with probably his hardest chance.

It was a really good performance and if we'd won 4-0 it would have been fair enough. That said, Goram had a great save in the second half to keep us in front.

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/06/2020 at 10:39, the snudge said:

Craig Brown got a bit of a rep for Scotland being quite negative and defensive but watching these Euro 96 games back again, Scotland carved out some right good chances against real quality sides. 

Tom Boyd was quite under rated as a full back I've noticed. 

We did not make many chances against the Netherlands

A few people did not appreciate John Collins having Tom Boyd in his greatest ever 11. Have you got your tin hat on ?

I thought Tom Boyd was pretty good in one of Scotland s better defences.

On 21/06/2020 at 17:47, JTS98 said:

Not just McCoist to be fair. Burley, Collins, Durie, Booth all missed good chances. And Pascolo's first save from McCoist in the first half was incredible. He should have scored the second one though. He scored with probably his hardest chance.

It was a really good performance and if we'd won 4-0 it would have been fair enough. That said, Goram had a great save in the second half to keep us in front.

I think people forget how good Goram was, he was feckin wonderful, and genuinely one of the world's best keepers for a good few years.  Carried Rangers almost to the CL final too, top, top, top keeper. Got to be the best we've ever had.

On 16/06/2020 at 18:06, Highland Capital said:

Pretty sure this was when Kazakhstan beat us 3-0.

Nevertheless, the population argument is always a feeble excuse/reason for defeat or failure imo.