Scottish Premiership Penalty Count

Rangers are awarded the most penalties in the Scottish Premiership according to new study

RANGERS top the table when it comes to the frequency of penalties handed out in the Scottish Premiership, according to a report from the CIES Football Observatory.

Since the 2017-18 season, the Ibrox club have on average obtained a spot kick every 411 minutes - a total of 23 from 105 matches.

Celtic were seventh in the list of the nine clubs who have competed in the top-flight throughout that period, earning a penalty every 681 minutes (14 from 106 games).

Motherwell are bottom (734 minutes - 13 from 106), while Hamilton are second (477 minutes - 20 from 106).

Aberdeen (530 minutes - 18 from 106) are the most lethal from 12 yards with a conversion rate of 88.9 per cent, while St Johnstone (591 minutes - 16 from 105) have the worst record, notching only half the spot kicks they are awarded.

Rangers scored 87 per cent of theirs, while Celtic netted 71.4 per cent.

When it comes to the league as a whole, the Scottish Premiership (every 302 minutes) is 21st out of 35 European leagues for the frequency of penalties whistled by referees.

At club level, Serbian outfit Crvena Zvezda lead the rankings with a penalty obtained every 209 minutes. At the other end, English Premier League side Burnley have been awarded the least at one every 2363 minutes - four from 105 games.

FULL TABLE:

Minutes Club Success (%)

411 Rangers 87

477 Hamilton 85

502 Kilmarnock 78.9

530 Aberdeen 88.9

561 Hibs 70.6

591 St Johnstone 50

681 Celtic 71.4

681 Hearts 64.3

734 Motherwell 76.9

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18518343.rangers-awarded-penalties-scottish-premiership-according-new-study/

I'm surprised to see Celtic so far down the list. Regardless of any Old Firm bias I've always accepted that the successful teams in any league will inevitably get more penalties on the basis that they are in their opponents' penalty area more often. Aberdeen's position in this table is also interesting - my gut instinct has been that they get more penalties that my Aberdeen supporting friends would have me believe.

I'm always intrigued as to who carries out these surveys so I looked up the CIES Football Observatory. They turn out to be 4 people based in a palatial office in Neuchatel, Switzerland whose mission is "to advance the frontiers of knowledge for the sustainable development of football worldwide."  How do such organisations come to exist?

50 minutes ago, Northboy said:

I'm surprised to see Celtic so far down the list. Regardless of any Old Firm bias I've always accepted that the successful teams in any league will inevitably get more penalties on the basis that they are in their opponents' penalty area more often. Aberdeen's position in this table is also interesting - my gut instinct has been that they get more penalties that my Aberdeen supporting friends would have me believe.

I'm always intrigued as to who carries out these surveys so I looked up the CIES Football Observatory. They turn out to be 4 people based in a palatial office in Neuchatel, Switzerland whose mission is "to advance the frontiers of knowledge for the sustainable development of football worldwide."  How do such organisations come to exist?

We get quite a few. Some of the pens we've had denied and given against us in recent years have been ridiculous decisions though.

47 minutes ago, Ric said:

Am I missing something here, are there only 9 teams listed because no other team got a penalty?

Presumably only 9 constants through the review period?  (Haven’t read it)

Be interesting to see the number of sending offs against each club too. I can guess who would be top of that league too.
Fag packet stuff here..

For 19/20 in the top league there were 38 Red Cards.

They were awarded against the opponents of -

Celtic - 6
Aberdeen - 5
Motherwell - 5
Killie - 3
St. Johnstone - 3
St. Mirren - 3
Ross County - 3
Rangers - 3
Hearts - 3
Hibs - 2
Livi - 1
Hamilton - 1

The number of Red Cards each team received -

Hamilton - 9
Aberdeen - 4
Hearts - 4
Motherwell - 4
Rangers - 3
Hibs - 3
Killie - 3
St. Johnstone - 3
Livi - 2
Ross County - 2
Celtic - 1
St. Mirren - 0

Fag packet stuff here..

For 19/20 in the top league there were 38 Red Cards.

They were awarded against the opponents of -

Celtic - 6
Aberdeen - 5
Motherwell - 5
Killie - 3
St. Johnstone - 3
St. Mirren - 3
Ross County - 3
Rangers - 3
Hearts - 3
Hibs - 2
Livi - 1
Hamilton - 1

The number of Red Cards each team received -

Hamilton - 9
Aberdeen - 4
Hearts - 4
Motherwell - 4
Rangers - 3
Hibs - 3
Killie - 3
St. Johnstone - 3
Livi - 2
Ross County - 2
Celtic - 1
St. Mirren - 0

Such a suprise there, Scott Brown should probably have been off 9 times himself.

Such a suprise there, Scott Brown should probably have been off 9 times himself.
There's much more nuance to it as well, that's why stats alone should never be trusted.

Two of the reds against Aberdeen were in the same game etc and they still only managed a draw.

Be interesting to look at the data properly and see if it backs up the idea that "it's harder to play against 10 men" or if that's a lot of shite.

From the overall stats though I wouldn't say there was a clear bias as such - other than Brown should have about 9 a season, you're right.

Was also quite surprised that St. Mirren had no reds. Not because I think they are a dirty, more because they are a team that burst their balls for the cause and this can sometimes lead to bookings etc.

On 16/06/2020 at 13:10, scottmcleanscontacts said:

There's much more nuance to it as well, that's why stats alone should never be trusted.

Two of the reds against Aberdeen were in the same game etc and they still only managed a draw.

Be interesting to look at the data properly and see if it backs up the idea that "it's harder to play against 10 men" or if that's a lot of shite.

From the overall stats though I wouldn't say there was a clear bias as such - other than Brown should have about 9 a season, you're right.

Was also quite surprised that St. Mirren had no reds. Not because I think they are a dirty, more because they are a team that burst their balls for the cause and this can sometimes lead to bookings etc.

What happened to the Fair Play League European spot when need it? 😇 A fix I tell you!

On 16/06/2020 at 09:35, Northboy said:

I'm surprised to see Celtic so far down the list. Regardless of any Old Firm bias I've always accepted that the successful teams in any league will inevitably get more penalties on the basis that they are in their opponents' penalty area more often. 

I agree. 3rd place Motherwell, bottom for penalties.  I am withdrawing my claret and amber pound......or something.