Things You Didn't Notice First Time Round

BFTD

I love fiction that parades stuff right in front of you, before you have the knowledge to understand its significance, so you'll only pick it up on a repeat viewing. Anyone have any favourite examples, or just more obvious stuff that somehow passed you by originally?

Just saw the '90s serial thriller Copycat again, and noticed that the eventual copycat serial killer is in the audience for Sigourney Weaver's opening monologue (not really a spoiler). There's a brief callback to it later, but still a nice little "oh, FFS" moment when you watch the film back.

I'd watched 'The Godfather' multiple times before I realised the extent of the machinations leading up to ...

Spoiler

Sonny Corleone's assassination.

'The Usual Suspects' has a 'lot' of small indicators along the way, which few people will catch the first time round. Cough, cough...

Spoiler

once you know where to 'look'.

'Fight Club' has a number of clues which are only obvious once you know how it ends. Such as...

Spoiler

The narrator beating himself up to incriminate his boss and being reminded of his first fight with Tyler. The Narrator, Tyler and Marla never being in the room at the same time. Some of Marla's 'odd' interactions with The Narrator, etc.

And it wasn't until I read IMDB's trivia section after watching 'Sean of the Dead' that I learned...

Spoiler

Ed basically outlines the entire plot in a seemingly throwaway remark early on.

In Get Carter 

Spoiler

The guy that kills Michael Caine at the end is sitting on the train next to him at the start of the film

In Monty Python and The Holy Grail when God appears to them in the clouds it's W.G Grace, which seems like a really niche joke that only the English would get.

Another Pegg film - It must have been the second or third time watching "Paul" that the music in the country bar rang my personal bell.

To redeem myself, I did catch the cameos of the hitman at the end of "Lillyhammer" and Bachman the "removal guy" in Sons Of Anarchy.

Just to show that you can be too clever for your own good, though, I once lost a pub quiz because I named Frank Oz as playing the role of the Cook County clerk in The Blues Brothers.

Spoiler

In fact, he played the reception clerk at Joliet penitentiary, at the completely opposite end of the movie. The clerk was played by one Stephen Spielberg - which I did know.