Fishing Thread

Haven't seen a fishing thread here and seeing as it is one of the pursuits you can easily do during lockdown I thought why not.

Been fishing up Broomhill in Ayrshire lately, lots of big resident rainbows,golds,blues, tigers and of course broonies taking buzzers and dry flies.

Also fished Fergus in Ayrshire for the first time in a few years, caught a couple of Jack pike. Biggest about 5lbs.

The last time I fished Fergus was after being hunted from Martnaham ( no fishing now apparently) the usual wee Jack's and some nice perch.

The rivers are a bit low right now, so they're not really worth fishing right now but I've managed a few wee broons. Got some wrasse and some wee coalies/Pollack the other day on float fished mackerel strip at saltcoats  (hole in the wall).

Some decent Rudd, roach, perch and a trench from a wee Pitt .  Just waiting on some decent rain to get some runs up the rivers. 

I'm a member of Perth District so usually out a dozen times a year chasing salmon but not been out on the Tay since a day on Dalguise the weekend before lock down.

Managed to get out last week on my local river Kelvin and picked up this wee beauty on a tiny brown dry.

20200604_185502.jpg

The last time I fished Fergus was after being hunted from Martnaham ( no fishing now apparently) the usual wee Jack's and some nice perch.

The rivers are a bit low right now, so they're not really worth fishing right now but I've managed a few wee broons. Got some wrasse and some wee coalies/Pollack the other day on float fished mackerel strip at saltcoats  (hole in the wall).

Some decent Rudd, roach, perch and a trench from a wee Pitt .  Just waiting on some decent rain to get some runs up the rivers. 

You're not allowed to fish top end of Martnaham as it's a bird reserve. Bottom end is fair game

12 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
36 minutes ago, throbber said:
The SNP are nothing more than a glorified protest movement, obsessed with a single unattainable goal that most of Scotland does not want.

Aye but how's the fishing been ?

I am a master baiter.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/06/2020 at 20:31, AUFC90 said:

Haven't seen a fishing thread here and seeing as it is one of the pursuits you can easily do during lockdown I thought why not.

Been fishing up Broomhill in Ayrshire lately, lots of big resident rainbows,golds,blues, tigers and of course broonies taking buzzers and dry flies.

Also fished Fergus in Ayrshire for the first time in a few years, caught a couple of Jack pike. Biggest about 5lbs.

Here’s the old fishing thread:

I dunno if @Tynierose or another mod can merge the two threads? 

Since the first round of EPL games after the restart have been utter dugshite I’ve been out fishing loads, mostly just fishing for pike/perch along the Forth & Clyde Canal to teach the wee lass the basics and practice her casting. Canal been fishing pretty well for jack pike and perch. Best jack maybe about 5lbs as well caught on a shad.

I think C19 has killed the sea ...by god the fishing is grim down the lower Clyde beaches. Not a Bass to be seen this year so far although I have seen pictures of a few that others have caught. Glorious night tonight and at least this little fella saved another blank. As you can see weed is a problem after the weekend blow. Safely returned to grow bigger.20200707_211107.jpeg

The Clyde's been dead for years, even the mackerel aren't what they used to be. To think of what it used to fish like back in the 70s/early 80s.

The Scottish government need to get their finger oot and get some decent sized protection zones in place to allow recovery.

I was going to get back into fishing, after an absence of 30 years. Things have changed a bit. Barbless hooks, catch and release, etc. Permits! Strange new world.

Might still give it a go, but whenever I click on a Facebook angling page, the comments sections make a lot of them come across as a bit (I’m being kind) nutty.

I’ve dug out a couple of 9ft fly rods and a spinning rod. Might get some fishing done this summer.

The Clyde's been dead for years, even the mackerel aren't what they used to be. To think of what it used to fish like back in the 70s/early 80s.

The Scottish government need to get their finger oot and get some decent sized protection zones in place to allow recovery.

There is still decent fishing it's just different species. Plenty mackerel if that's your thing but Bass is the main target for me now. 20 years ago no one would have believed you if you had caught a Bass in the Clyde now they can be caught from Ballantrae to Erskine when conditions are right. Also still good Pollack fishing on the reefs. All that said gangs are now targeting the Bass with gill nets, mostly Asian and Eastern European orgaised groups. I think already that is taking its toll as my lack of catch this year might indicate.

47 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

As @Billy Jean King says it's just that there's a different mix of species and sizes. The actual stock in the Clyde is the same as it always was, but you're not going to get big cod anymore, it's too warm now.

The clyde is virtually dead, continued dredging for prawns and scallops is not allowing the area to recover from years of over fishing.

Small Whiting, wrasse in rocky areas, the odd flounder, dogfish, a few bass and some mackerel in the summer is nowhere "as it always was" or "a different mix of species" when compared with what should be there.

You don't get large cod because the stocks were over fished and are not being allowed to recover. In a healthy fishery there should be stocks of cod all year round  (codling, fish under 6lbs) and the larger cod which used to come inshore during the winter.

Fergus Ewing has continually blocked any regulations and plans for larger protected areas in the Firth of clyde. A restored clyde would be a huge boost for the area but fish are basically out of sight and out of mind.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Are Eastern European’s really into fish? I see people mentioning them online as the reason for the lack of pike at various bodies of water around Fife.

Pike & Carp are very   popular on East European dinner plates.

Gangs used to empty coarse fisheries in England.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Are Eastern European’s really into fish? I see people mentioning them online as the reason for the lack of pike at various bodies of water around Fife.

I think that they get stereotyped a fair bit, the polish guys that I know are really in to their fishing and definitely don't go around pillaging fish stocks.  Quite a lot of Scottish anglers aren't very enlightened when it comes conserving fish stocks.

11 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

No it isn't. https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rspb.2011.1015

No, the Clyde is too warm now. Cod need seabed temperatures of around 6 degrees to settle. https://www.nature.com/articles/nature12156 You just don't get that in the Clyde anymore. They'll never come back in any numbers.

There are plenty of protected areas in the clyde including the sill at the mouth which is relatively shallow and the southern edge of Arran which is the deepest part of the Firth. These are two large reservoirs for fish stocks to recover from & spread outwards. The issue isn't that there's no fish, the issue is that after widespread overfishing in the past, the recovered state is not the same as what was there before, and cannot return to that.

image.png.409161cf08b728faaf39294ab87f96c3.png

You do know that I can also use google search and come up with publications which contradict your publications...

Best to agree to disagree here, we've made our points and no point in going completely off topic.