Sign in to follow this  
MixuFruit

Tea & Coffee

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I love drinking tea. I'm quite happy drinking breakfast tea by the likes of Clipper or Twinnings most of the time. Big fan of earl grey as well. I haven't got into loose leaf tea yet simply because I don't have a strainer. I want to buy one of those wee pots with the strainer that goes in it. I've got loads of loose leaf tea as xmas presents from over the years that has never been drunk. 

Does tea go out of date? I just had a cup of redbush tea that I found in the cupboard. I think someone who lived in the share house left it before. It went out of date in 2017 😄 still tasted fine!

I have a good strainer from IKEA it keeps a cup left in the bottom of the pot not in contact with the tea so it's not too strong.

The Wee Tea Company were my standard tea provider but they have shut during Covid. Also partial to a Harris Gin Tea 

3 minutes ago, Slenderman said:

Ders moar T'Oirlund din dis.

Ooh, scary Irish men. With your berets, your like Frank Spencer, saddam hussain, and the French 

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

We all do.

Kidding of course, she's a real good sport.

;)

I always get a Dark Roast bean from Starbucks. Usually Sumatra but I also like the Verona coffee that they do. Both coffees have a full bodied taste and low acidity to them. I used to have instant coffee until I worked for Starbucks. But now wouldn't go anywhere near instant coffee. 

Not really a tea drinker.

5 minutes ago, atfccfc said:

I always get a Dark Roast bean from Starbucks. Usually Sumatra but I also like the Verona coffee that they do. Both coffees have a full bodied taste and low acidity to them. I used to have instant coffee until I worked for Starbucks. But now wouldn't go anywhere near instant coffee. 

Not really a tea drinker.

Yeah I prefer a really dark roast bean. I'd like to try roasting my own sometime.

2 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

My gran had one of these, it was the only kitchen gadget she had from the 20th century.

See the source image

My granny had one too - same colour too

I love my coffe and probably drink too much - arounf 5 large cups a day - always use one of those simple plastic cones that sit on the cup, filter paper and usually Taylors Italian Roast.

Never had a cup of tea in my life - the smell actually makes me feel sick

I really want to enjoy a coffee but find the taste  of run of the mill coffee too bitter, any recommendations for a beginner?

Never had a cup of tea in my life - the smell actually makes me feel sick

Whit?

I find with loose leaf I can never get it to the strength I like- it's either too strong or too weak. I have various gadgets I've bought over the years-teaballs, spoon things, a thing from IKEA that floats on top and the best I found was a monkey shaped thing that sits in the middle but the fastener isn't great and sometimes it comes apart.

My granny used to use a small battered old metal teapot which made great tea. One of those would be great.

I have a cafetiere at home for ground coffee but a friend gave me some Croatian coffee that you make in a mocha pot and I sometimes prefer that although it's a faff.

I make a habit of visiting Braithwaites whenever I'm in Dundee. I love the smell of ground coffee and it's a great little shop.

11 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I've got loads of loose leaf tea as xmas presents from over the years that has never been drunk. 

11 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Those pots were transformational for me. I got one for my birthday and haven't looked back.

Tea and a tea pot? It's at times like this I'm  glad no-one buys me presents.

Tea and a tea pot? It's at times like this I'm  glad no-one buys me presents.
Yep. You're the real winner here.

Anyway does anyone use those stove top espresso pots? I think the are cool as f**k and perhaps less clean up than a cafitiere?

11 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I generally prefer coffee at breakfast time, but have lately have developed a serious liking for Yorkshire Tea. The Fisherman's Chippy in Settle, North Yorkshire, serve a pot of it with their famous haddock, chips and mushy peas. For some reason it's a combination that really works.

download.jpg

Who'd have thought liquid refreshment along with a meal would be a good idea?

I really want to enjoy a coffee but find the taste  of run of the mill coffee too bitter, any recommendations for a beginner?

Usually that happens because it's been over-extracted so you're getting all the unwanted flavours from the bigger molecules in coffee that would otherwise stay in the bits of ground bean.

If you get whole bean and grind your own and try adding a bit more than you normally would and then brew it for less time than you normally would it should minimise the bitterness.

If you've got an espresso machine just let it run for less time than normal.

15 hours ago, H Wragg said:

I drink flavoured instant coffee.

Am I for the bad fire?

I've never heard of flavoured instant coffee before. What flavour is it? 

17 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Loose tea is good but easy to stew it and also a f**k about. If you drink copious amounts of it, it accelerates the headache and pissing sand phase. On balance this makes standard teabags the correct choice a lot of the time. 

Coffee however, isnt even worth talking about it unless it's made from ground beans. All instant is rank and good for f**k all except the most dire of needs. 

WTF is this all about? Drinking tea makes you acephalgic and piss sand?

I've made some perfectly good coffee liqueur using instant before. I feel The Dude would approve.