Oat milk, then. Bought a carton of it for trying in tea. Only previous experience was a cappuccino which was ‘meh’.
Turns out it’s very nice in tea. Very nice indeed and, instantly, my ‘dairy alternative’ of choice. Much better than soya milk IMO.  

In other news, I tried the new Bells vegan scotch pies. They were ok. Tasted surprisingly like the real thing, although whether or not that is a good thing is open to debate. 

15 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

In other news, I tried the new Bells vegan scotch pies. They were ok. Tasted surprisingly like the real thing, although whether or not that is a good thing is open to debate. 

Definitely won't be trying them then

12 hours ago, 18May1991 said:

Oat milk, then. Bought a carton of it for trying in tea. Only previous experience was a cappuccino which was ‘meh’.
Turns out it’s very nice in tea. Very nice indeed and, instantly, my ‘dairy alternative’ of choice. Much better than soya milk IMO.  

Are they same price as the standard ones? I haven't had a scotch pie since lockdown, the only place that stocks them is (some) Iceland stores and the local Iceland doesn't do deliveries.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

25 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Are they same price as the standard ones? I haven't had a scotch pie since lockdown, the only place that stocks them is (some) Iceland stores and the local Iceland doesn't do deliveries.

Got them in Tesco. Think it was £1 for 2. Possibly marked as a ‘special offer’, down from £1.50. They have the normal ones too. 

24 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

Got them in Tesco. Think it was £1 for 2. Possibly marked as a ‘special offer’, down from £1.50. They have the normal ones too. 

Aye, the normal ones are 2 for £1.10. Asda, Tesco don't stock them, or any other brand of Scotch pies, nor do any of the independents. It's a mystery why (some) Iceland stores do.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Aye, the normal ones are 2 for £1.10. Asda, Tesco don't stock them, or any other brand of Scotch pies, nor do any of the independents. It's a mystery why (some) Iceland stores do.

Your failed statelet home claims affinity with Scotland and you can't even get a real pie!

I know, it's shocking.

(It may have something to do with importation of meat products. There used to be signs up at the Ferry terminals telling you what was prohibited. I think they were largely ignored, tbqh.)

• 1 year later...

Kind of related to veganism but I was glad to see the case oat drink giant Oatly brought against a small rival producer was thrown out.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/aug/06/alt-milk-maker-oatly-loses-trademark-case-against-family-run-uk-firm

Oatly must be one of the most unctuous companies going. From their patronising adverts, smug social media presence to their PR machine justifying trying to put a smaller competitor out of business by saying they are doing it out of “love”.

We have vegan friends who visit us often (pre pandemic) and they liked oat drinks but I’ll be seeking out smaller producers whenever I buy it next. I’m sure that’ll tip Oatly over the edge.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had one of the vegan chicken and mushroom style pies at Killie last night.

Apparently the previous veg curry ones were very good but never had the opportunity to try them at the time.

This was nice enough. Pretty similar to the Pukka ones you get in the supermarkets.

Nice to at least have the option of hot food, particularly at this time of year.