58 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

stories like this always make me think of this great PBF comic:

The Golden Ticket

I have made a similar point a few times to those who have criticised my endeavour to consume less meat, usually obese, ruddy-faced, porcine men. Usually supporters of one of the Old Firm, too.  Anyway, they will always tell me how it's natural to eat meat and it's tantamount to child cruelty to deprive kids of red meat.  So I always ask them if they'd be prepared to take a young child to an abattoir? 

I am also a Christian, which is something that often upsets people when I mention it. My belief is that mankind is inherently repulsed by acts of callous brutality. It's instinctive. If you were to take a young child to an abattoir, I imagine they would scream and cry when they witness an animal slaughtered and butchered. I think many adults would be shocked and upset, too. There is, in my opinion, a reason for this. One can become desensitised to violence, and cruelty, of course, but our initial instinct is to be repulsed by such things. I like to think that's the spark of the Divine that dwells within us all, but, of course, plenty of you will not see it that way. Regardless, I think even those who rage against veganism would be reluctant to take their young child or grandchild to a slaughterhouse. 

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I did give the Beyond Meat burger a go from Tesco. £5 for two burgers and they were absolutely disgusting. Quorn sausages weren't too bad though. Oat milk and Soya is delicious. I don't think I could go vegi though unless they could create meat like products that taste like meat.

I think the Beyond Meat burgers are absolutely tremendous - genuinely think they're nicer than any meat burger I've ever bought from a supermarket.

1 hour ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

I have made a similar point a few times to those who have criticised my endeavour to consume less meat, usually obese, ruddy-faced, porcine men. Usually supporters of one of the Old Firm, too.  Anyway, they will always tell me how it's natural to eat meat and it's tantamount to child cruelty to deprive kids of red meat.  So I always ask them if they'd be prepared to take a young child to an abattoir? 

I am also a Christian, which is something that often upsets people when I mention it. My belief is that mankind is inherently repulsed by acts of callous brutality. It's instinctive. If you were to take a young child to an abattoir, I imagine they would scream and cry when they witness an animal slaughtered and butchered. I think many adults would be shocked and upset, too. There is, in my opinion, a reason for this. One can become desensitised to violence, and cruelty, of course, but our initial instinct is to be repulsed by such things. I like to think that's the spark of the Divine that dwells within us all, but, of course, plenty of you will not see it that way. Regardless, I think even those who rage against veganism would be reluctant to take their young child or grandchild to a slaughterhouse. 

How do these obese, ruddy-faced, porcine male OF supporters know you are trying to consume less meat? How does such a conversation arise?

29 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

How do these obese, ruddy-faced, porcine male OF supporters know you are trying to consume less meat? How does such a conversation arise?

Do any of your friends and acquaintances know that you eat meat? Or have you kept it a secret?

I went vegan 3 years ago and have found it pretty easy and the choice in supermarkets and when eating out between now and when I started out is night and day. I never really bothered massively about cheese when I wasn't vegan which probably helped me as the alternatives aren't great. 

Partick Thistle do a vegan sausage roll as do Hampden. The one I tried at Firhill was grim and the one at Hampden is just OK. Ive not came across many options at other grounds but I tend to plan ahead and avoid getting anything at the football anyway.

I rarely bring it up and it rarely comes up in conversation so only ever see the hilarious 'vegans bang on about it' and 'mmm bacon' patter online. 

36 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I detect a hint of cynicism.

In December a lot of emails were sent out at work promoting Veganuary - https://uk.veganuary.com - you may have heard of it? This led to a discussion amongst work colleagues about the benefits and ethics associated with veganism. At least one of my colleagues is already vegan, a few more are vegetarian and interested in becoming vegan. Then there were those who declared it was not for them, and those who became enraged by the mere suggestion. Up until lockdown some of the latter category were still talking about veganism and how ridiculous it is, whilst the rest of us had long since dropped the subject.

If you are inclined to try again, the Viv Era burgers are very good. £2.50 for 2 
Cheers, I'll give them a try.
I think the Beyond Meat burgers are absolutely tremendous - genuinely think they're nicer than any meat burger I've ever bought from a supermarket.
The guy who recommended them to me has a similar view to yours. Each to their own but I found it absolutely awful. Horrible texture and a rotten taste.

1 hour ago, Gerald Elbowdent said:

I find the vegan sausage rolls at Greggs delicious. I'd have them over the regular ones any day 

The vegan steakbake has a better texture and taste than the meat one as well. 

4 hours ago, Slenderman said:

Not that we've played your mob recently, but I thought Killie Pies were the best in Scotland.

The original Killie pie makers now supply their tasty treats to Cappielow while they've got whoever was willing to placate that arsehole Johnston. Swings and roundabouts.

7 hours ago, Smurph said:

"Vegetarianism is a first world luxury"

Sure it is but so what? I'm a big Anthony Bourdain fan too but I don't understand why he was so angry that people made a choice he did not, just because they had the luxury of making it. You know what else is a first world luxury? Eating in the restaurants where Anthony Bourdain worked. I'm betting they didn't have too many Kalahari Bushmen ringing up for reservations because they'd heard the tornades de boeuf were to die for. 

4 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Aye it's not fun to watch but I suppose people should in order to appreciate where the meat comes from and perhaps to at least prompt people to make more ethical choices about how far these animals travel and how they're reared. I'd rather eat less  and better meat for the same money and make up the difference with vegetarian food than keep eating supermarket meat, though I do lapse sometimes. Covid's not helped.

I'm not religious but the welfare and conservation minded schools of thought in christianity are very appealing to me. The God's Acre mindset has a lot going for it.

That's a non-starter.

4 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

That's not what supply and demand usually does

There would be an initial price drop due to over-supply. But then after that the supply would be reduced and as a result the production costs would rise due to being done on a smaller scale.