No eggs or fish would be a big miss for me, love a steak pie also.
Do many clubs offer meat free pie's ?

You’ll get a macaroni pie at a lot of grounds, and the odd cheese and onion bake. No vegan options though.

The problem is I love eating different food and veganism is boring. There just isn’t enough variety and many vegan substitutes I’ve tried are just not up to it.

If you’re wanting to give up animal products then stick at it, veggie and vegan alternatives aren’t boring if you give it a chance. Have a look for some recipe books, or even some videos on Facebook which can be good. Even eating out is a lot easier than it was five years ago, for example; more places have more and better options.

I did give the Beyond Meat burger a go from Tesco. £5 for two burgers and they were absolutely disgusting. Quorn sausages weren't too bad though. Oat milk and Soya is delicious. I don't think I could go vegi though unless they could create meat like products that taste like meat.

3 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Tbh good quality grass fed beef has a pretty low carbon dioxide/methane impact as the cow pats fertilise the grass which offset all the farting. It's cheapo beef from north and south America that's the problem.

I've found oat milk to be the best non dairy milk, it's also one of the most environmentally friendly unlike soya or almond.

Good shouts, thanks. I think I prefer eating venison anyway, it's delicious. I wish more wild venison was sold in shops  - do my bit for rewilding and all that. 

Funnily enough, I was thinking of oat milk as I posted my earlier response. Your recommendation has just sealed the deal, I will buy some and report back.

12 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

If you find it weird in tea try it in cereal first, I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

Will need to give this a go. Tried oat milk a couple of times in tea and thought it was ‘meh’. Didn’t like almond milk at all when I tried it but quite enjoy soya milk in tea and porridge - not tried it in cereal as cappuccino put me off when there was more of it, if that makes sense? 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I did give the Beyond Meat burger a go from Tesco. £5 for two burgers and they were absolutely disgusting. Quorn sausages weren't too bad though. Oat milk and Soya is delicious. I don't think I could go vegi though unless they could create meat like products that taste like meat.

If you are inclined to try again, the Viv Era burgers are very good. £2.50 for 2 

Couple of points:

• some of the fake meat options out there are good, some are bad, just like the meat options out there, you have to experiment (but aye, buy good salt);
  • there are no good vegan cheese alternatives, sorry;
  • fake bacon is the devil;
  • a veggie or vegan diet is not boring, there’s a massive variety available if you’re willing to learn, experiment, pay (unfortunately), and spend time;
  • militant vegans can be c***s, just like those that come on to threads about veganism to proclaim just how good meat tastes. I know how good meat tastes, it can be delicious, some people just don’t think it’s worth it, and;
  • I’m not vegan, but I respect those who have the strength to be.

Thanks to @MixuFruit for his kind words.

6 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Vegan pies at rugby park are superb.

Not that we've played your mob recently, but I thought Killie Pies were the best in Scotland.

1 minute ago, mathematics said:

Also: being a vegan would be whole lot easier if you lived in a country with they appetite for it (no pun intended). Much more difficult in the country like Scotland.

Doff my cap you mate for sticking to it. As a chef it makes us try to invent vegan dishes that aren't bland AF.

13 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

How do you know that someone is vegan?

Within a minute of meeting them, they'll tell you!

Where did I say I was a vegan? I created a thread for those interested in veganism.

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The only Vegan like that I've encountered is the OP.

Again, where did I state that I was a vegan?

I should declare, in the interest of transparency, that I am not vegan. I am endeavouring to transition from a carnivorous diet to either a pescatarian diet or fully vegan. I don't currently eat red meat or dairy produce at all. I don't think I've eaten chicken this year either, but I have had some bone broth.

When starting this thread, my intention was to discuss recipes, protein and calcium sources, that kind of thing. Of course many people are vegan for ethical reasons, and I certainly hate the idea of animal cruelty, and given an equally nutritious alternative would opt for that.

For those interested in a whole food, plant based diet for health reasons, I recommend https://nutritionfacts.org - it's a website of research compiled by Dr. Michael Greger, author of the book How Not To Die.

Edited by Sinner-to-Saint

3 hours ago, Romeo said:

That means you are 100% not vegan.

I should have worded it “my diet is about 70% vegan”. 100% vegetarian 

3 hours ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Anyone found a decent vegan alternative for cheese?

I went vegetarian about a year ago, and I am cutting down the amount of cheese I eat but not always successful. I have found some of the alternatives for sausages and burgers to be just as good. Though I still miss a ham and cheese sandwich. Also oat milk is perfectly acceptable alternative to milk.

I couldn’t eat any of the “cheeses” cold, but I've found some taste really good when in a toastie (violife or Applewood), same with when they’re heated up over nachos or chips 

2 hours ago, smpar said:

You’ll get a macaroni pie at a lot of grounds, and the odd cheese and onion bake. No vegan options though.

It really scunners me that my own club don’t have a vegetarian pie or bake option.  Killie are the only club I’ve saw do a vegan pie

14 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Vegan pies at rugby park are superb.

They sure are (I went with my pal earlier this season as he had a spare ticket and I’m a masochist). Ive seen them for sale in a few local shops as well. Very tasty