10 minutes ago, SJP79 said:

Do vegans eat eggs ?

What about fish ?

Don’t think so. They do wear plastic shoes though which is probably becoming an issue.

I’m virtually pescatarian these days, chicken is only good in a curry and cows and pigs are as intelligent as dogs.

I’m not a vegan. I don’t mind vegans either, on the most part* I agree with the principles they are fighting for.

If I was to take it up my reasons would be environmental. The meat industry is helping to fuel global warming big time. The problem is I love eating different food and veganism is boring. There just isn’t enough variety and many vegan substitutes I’ve tried are just not up to it. In general I try to eat as little red meat as possible. I’ll usually substitute beef for venison - although I’m not sure how much of a difference that makes. I drink skimmed milk (again unsure what difference this makes from the others) - haven’t made the jump to a non-dairy one yet as I find things like almond or soya milk disgusting and not fit for a good brew.

*I don’t agree with things like “we don’t eat honey because it’s made by bees.” An absolutely ridiculous stance to take. If anything, the beekeepers that have the bees are offering them a safer refuge than they might have had in the wild.

I believe in having a flexitarian diet - which is just simply having a balanced diet of meat and vegetables. I don’t think veganism is necessary to save the planet, it would certainly help, but I think we would be better encouraging people more to have less meat and just have it as part of a more balanced diet.

I’ve been vegan for 12 months or so. Not moral reasons, health reasons - far less saturated fats. Wouldn’t care if I ate something with e.g. milk in it, by mistake, but do actively avoid animal products and not aware of having had anything by mistake. I don’t wear plastic shoes either. 

The biggest ‘miss’ for me has been cappuccinos which I do (did) enjoy. Non dairy milks are just not the same or as nice as dairy milk, although I’m now used to soya milk in tea. Hoping to get to Spain in September and will almost certainly capitulate and drink a cortado or two. 

As someone said, the availability of plant based diet foods has made it pretty easy to follow. Viv Era in particular make burgers, steaks etc which are very very good. And the Wicked food range in Tesco is, for the most part, delicious. The only issue I have is that anything marked ‘vegan’ or ‘vegan friendly’ is overpriced. 

For eating out, if any vegans (or otherwise) are in London, Bristol or Manchester I would recommend trying the plant based option at Honest Burger - absolutely delicious and probably clinched it for me, in terms of thinking I could ‘turn’ to a vegan diet. Hope they open an Honest Burger up here. 

In my experience to date, most people don’t care either way what I do or don’t eat, but you do tend to get a loud gobshite when out in a group e.g. at a work event, that tries to mock the choice and loudly proclaims their incredulity that anyway could possibly survive without ‘their bacon roll/ fry up on a Sunday’. 

TL:DR version - I’m vegan, sort of. It’s fine. I quite enjoy it. 

I think I posted all the thoughts I had re veganism on the other thread so don't want to re-inflict them on folk. I try and avoid fake meat stuff but but I must say that I enjoyed a couple of these with beans this week. Can't imagine there was all that much meat in the original versions in any case.

20200610_090810.thumb.jpg.0b2eb2fd723c0936abdef55bf1ace10c.jpg

Also like this plant mince from Sainsbury's. Has a bit more flavour than a lot of the plant-based minces that I've tried and makes a lovely bolognase or chilli. 

640x640.jpg.12061394a19dce263f4e378649fe6113.jpg

I never really liked red meat to begin with but try to steer clear of vegan food ranges as they tend to be over-priced and quite heavily processed. Love a nice vegetable curry or pasta with tomato-based sauce.

Guest SJP79
39 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I’m not a vegan. I don’t mind vegans either, on the most part* I agree with the principles they are fighting for.

If I was to take it up my reasons would be environmental. The meat industry is helping to fuel global warming big time. The problem is I love eating different food and veganism is boring. There just isn’t enough variety and many vegan substitutes I’ve tried are just not up to it. In general I try to eat as little red meat as possible. I’ll usually substitute beef for venison - although I’m not sure how much of a difference that makes. I drink skimmed milk (again unsure what difference this makes from the others) - haven’t made the jump to a non-dairy one yet as I find things like almond or soya milk disgusting and not fit for a good brew.

*I don’t agree with things like “we don’t eat honey because it’s made by bees.” An absolutely ridiculous stance to take. If anything, the beekeepers that have the bees are offering them a safer refuge than they might have had in the wild.

I believe in having a flexitarian diet - which is just simply having a balanced diet of meat and vegetables. I don’t think veganism is necessary to save the planet, it would certainly help, but I think we would be better encouraging people more to have less meat and just have it as part of a more balanced diet.

In reality what is fueling global warming is the population surge and rampant capitalism. 

There is simply way too many people consuming resources and joining in the throw away after a few years mentality on items bought. 

Guest SJP79
4 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

I think I posted all the thoughts I had re veganism on the other thread so don't want to re-inflict them on folk. I try and avoid fake meat stuff but but I must say that I enjoyed a couple of these with beans this week. Can't imagine there was all that much meat in the original versions in any case.

20200610_090810.thumb.jpg.0b2eb2fd723c0936abdef55bf1ace10c.jpg

My brother is a butcher and always said if you seen them mixing up the scotch pie mix you'd never go near one again, the pepper does it wonders :)

Just now, SJP79 said:

My brother is a butcher and always said if you seen them mixing up the scotch pie mix you'd never go near one again, the pepper does it wonders :)

My husband recently got sent to a factory that makes the breakfast packs with square sausage and black pudding etc. He came home with no appetite for dinner that night and told me never to buy anything like them ever again after he'd spent the day fixing some of the machines. :lol: 

Anyone found a decent vegan alternative for cheese?

I went vegetarian about a year ago, and I am cutting down the amount of cheese I eat but not always successful. I have found some of the alternatives for sausages and burgers to be just as good. Though I still miss a ham and cheese sandwich. Also oat milk is perfectly acceptable alternative to milk.

Guest SJP79
3 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Anyone found a decent vegan alternative for cheese?

I went vegetarian about a year ago, and I am cutting down the amount of cheese I eat but not always successful. I have found some of the alternatives for sausages and burgers to be just as good. Though I still miss a ham and cheese sandwich. Also oat milk is perfectly acceptable alternative to milk.

So is the anti dairy thing to do with the treatment of the animals or as a health benefit ?

"Vegetarianism is a first world luxury"

I agree fully with Anthony Bourdain but we can all do a little better. I've never understood the sheer hatred directed towards vegetarians and vegans. There are some people who throw it in your face  but it's no difference to the arseholes coming on here saying what is 'acceptable' to eat or people expressing their political opinions. People get very defensive. They see it as a personal attack. It really doesn't matter, eat whatever the f**k you want.

I don't like the Quorn products I've tried and I haven't had any of these mince/chicken supermarket alternatives.. Tofu is fucking weird but I think I've only had soft tofu. I quite like seitan. I can quite easily make a meal with vegetables/pulses/whatever and I don't need a meat alternative. It's still a processed food and I don't actually think it's any better for you than processed meat.

Oat milk in a latte/flatty > milk

10 hours ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

I thought I'd start a thread for anybody interested in veganism, or more specifically a whole food, plant based diet. A bit ironic, given the name of this forum, I know.

I've just had a veg stir fry with a spicy sauce, which was lovely;  I mixed garlic and ginger powder (a heaped tea spoon of each) with a vegetable stock cube and then thickened it up with chia seeds and tahini. Delicious. 

A veritable midnight feast.

1 hour ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Don’t think so. They do wear plastic shoes though which is probably becoming an issue.

I’m virtually pescatarian these days, chicken is only good in a curry and cows and pigs are as intelligent as dogs.

Not that smart then if they keep allowing themselves to get eaten.