Distracted by Covid? What else is going on.

welshbairn

6 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Why does Scotland have highest unemployment figures in the uk?

It doesn't. Three English regions have higher rates.

North-East of England 5.20%

West Midlands of England 4.80%

London 4.63%

Scotland 4.57%

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/regionallabourmarket/june2020 Check out the table in 7. Employment

Whilst it would be correct to say that Scotland has had the largest increase compared with the previous quarter, the ONS specifically state that "It is too early to say to what extent the unusually large increase in the estimate for Scotland is part of a longer term trend, or influenced by sampling variability."

But hey, better together! SNP baaaaddd!

Edited by lichtgilphead

London 4.63%
Scotland 4.57%
https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/regionallabourmarket/june2020
Whilst it would be correct to say that Scotland has had the largest increase compared with the previous quarter, the ONS specifically state that "It is too early to say to what extent the unusually large increase in the estimate for Scotland is part of a longer term trend, or influenced by sampling variability."
Just wondered is it from a specific area or trade?

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
4 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:
London 4.63%
Scotland 4.57%
https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/regionallabourmarket/june2020

Just wondered is it from a specific area or trade?

Whilst some have suggested that the rise may be something to do with the tourism sector, I would prefer to go with the statisticians - as stated above, they are unclear whether the large rise is due to a longer term trend or just sampling variability.

That bit isn't in the BBC headline though...

15 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

London 4.63%

Scotland 4.57%

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/regionallabourmarket/june2020 Check out the table in 7. Employment

I’m not sure how BritNats can spin bad news about the UK as evidence of the UK being better together. I mean, they will - it just won’t make sense.

4 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

The Scottish rate just seems to be a bit more variable than the UK rate:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53061072

BBC Scotland infograph on labour market data

Without digging into it my guess would be the bigger UK economy can integrate dips in one industry with peaks in others more than the Scottish economy.

Assume that’s part of it. Also frictional short term effects (eg a big call centre closing) have a bigger % impact on a smaller denominator.

given data collection and definition issues, using 1/10ths of a percent is probably misleading as to how accurate the figures are.

eyeballing that graph probably gives a more meaningful result, that the Scottish figures tend to move in line with the uk figures.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Snafu said:

Microsoft bothered why all these Google Chrome users aren't picking up on their redesigned all singing all dancing flagship browser Chromium Edge decided in June to add it to an 'essential Windows automatic update' and force feed it to everyone who uses Windows with no option to uninstall nor stop it from launching itself like malware regardless of current choice of browser.

Microsoft clearly deciding to impose themselves yet again and remind the likes of Google and users that they own every web browsing device in the world and the competition should know their place, especially during a period when everyone is distracted by a world wide pandemic so no one would challenge them.

There are still users of the now unsupported Windows 7 and 8 out there who were quite happy with what they had suddenly find out to their horror when they switch on they now have Chromium Edge with no means to remove it.

Has anyone on here successfully removed it completely?

I'm on Windows 10 which might explain it, but when I did the last update it asked me for permission to change to Edge and I said no thanks and Google Chrome is carrying on as normal. I'm sure there will be a way of stopping it messing with you. Maybe in defaults.

Edited by welshbairn