You Favourite Venue

ZingaliMan

As an old school punk I was at the Apollo all the time but it was not a good venue for the music I liked especially after the stage was raised.Huge stage and building more suited to the heavy rock groups of the time. Only place the bigger names came to back then.

From the ad above I wouldn't have minded Calum Kennedy's xmas show.

Barrowland and The Apollo were where most of my favourite gigs have been from 78 till present!
Used to quite like NiteMoves /Rooftops back in the day (Johnny Thunders was especially good) and enjoyed gigs at the Garage and Tuts too.
Least favourites are /were, the ABC and the Academy!!

Saw my first ever gig at the Empire Theatre in Edinburgh (now the Festival Theatre) on 24 November 1972.  Headline was Slade, supported by Thin Lizzy and Suzi Quatro.

Fantastic venue, although i saw more gigs at the Apollo in Glasgow as i got older and the elevated stage meant that you missed nothing. (Got fixed with the girl next to me at the Eagles gig in 1977).

Happy days.

Still havent got to fruitmarket yet but my wife saw charles esten there and said it was good.
Barrowlands has to be the best venue in glasgow though.

Ive been to the liquid rooms, corn exchange and usher hall and none of them are great tbh.

• 4 weeks later...

There will never be a venue to match the Apollo in its '70s and '80s heyday - but that may have more than a little to do with the acts I saw there. Status Quo, AC/DC, Rush, Purple, Genesis, Yes, Motorhead. Good Times.

I Also enjoyed a few cracking gigs at the Piv - Ayr Pavilion. Early appearances by the likes of Def Leppard, Marillion and Iron Maiden as they made their first steps to eventual arena status, as well as simply good nights out to the sounds of Magnum, Girlschool, Budgie, and many other "not quite first division" bands.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2020 at 11:38, .Stuart. said:

Barfly was always a great wee venue with stages upstairs and down.

Closed a good 10 years ago now without any explanation

Loved gigging at the barfly. Although playing upstairs was nowhere near as good as playing downstairs.

On 13/06/2020 at 21:00, Oscar Wilder said:

Barrowland and The Apollo were where most of my favourite gigs have been from 78 till present!
Used to quite like NiteMoves /Rooftops back in the day (Johnny Thunders was especially good) and enjoyed gigs at the Garage and Tuts too.
Least favourites are /were, the ABC and the Academy!!

Johnny Thunders with Hanoi Rocks? I was at that. Did you see The Godfathers in NiteMoves, if you did, I think you might be me.

Johnny Thunders with Hanoi Rocks? I was at that. Did you see The Godfathers in NiteMoves, if you did, I think you might be me.
Ha Ha, Aye Johnny & Hanoi, were great!
Never saw the Godfathers there but did see them at the Hunting Lodge in Kilmarnock one Sunday night, only gig I've ever known to be on there!! [emoji4]

Just now, Oscar Wilder said:

Ha Ha, Aye Johnny & Hanoi, were great!
Never saw the Godfathers there but did see them at the Hunting Lodge in Kilmarnock one Sunday night, only gig I've ever known to be on there!! emoji4.png

Mike Monroe kicked me for grabbing the scarves or whatever he tied round his legs. He probably thought I was an obsessed fan, but I just thought it would be funny if he fell.

Johnny Thunders fell off the stage more than he was on it.