My experience with a plumber today

8 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Jealous of the champagne lifestyle of plumbers.

yeah i'm sure we'd all love to be ramming our hand down a toilet to unclog some shite

Edited by red23

6 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Jealous of the champagne lifestyle of plumbers.

Get round there and fix this boy's pipes (no euph) and make sure he's no gonna die from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Would be great PR for you m9.

1 hour ago, BillyAnchor said:

Have your friend post a review.

He says don’t waste your time. The Robin Askwith ones are better, but that’s not saying much.

I, sorry, he, thinks they were filmed in Doctor’s flat.

30 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

If you use it please tell me you get it serviced/cleaned once a year and have a carbon monoxide alarm in the vicinity?

If not serviced/cleaned and a flue flow test performed on it, the danger if it is integrated into a back boiler unit is the heat exchanger fins can clog up with dust, dirt and all sorts of crap affecting the flue flow and resulting in products of combustion flowing back into the room, even fires without a BBU can be affected by birds nesting in the chimney and causing the same issue, all of which results in Carbon Monoxide poisoning if left unchecked and no audible alarm in the room.

These units, if not serviced regularly are a potential death trap, hence their gradual phasing out.

Sleep well, doctor.

Well I've had a crap day.
I finally called out a plumber to get the hot water fixed, its been off for months since corona began and I've just not had the chance to get someone round. Essentially the hot water tap started leaking and I had to seal it off with the red tap like valve. 

Plumber came round and said no problem it would be a quick job, he quickly fixed the loose hot water pipe behind the sink, when it came to turning on the supply again, the valve unfortunately was unresponsive, he explained that the valves would often stay shut if they weren't used frequently. He rummaged in his van for a while but couldn't procure a valve that would replace it and offered me the choice of waiting till he took a 2 hour trip to the nearest supply shop for the valve or offering me a temporary replacement with a copper pipe and also the knowledge I have a secondary valve with a screw for a "switch". To be fair it looks like he did a good job with the copper piping but I'm a little uncomfortable with it being a temporary fix. Heres a picture of his work and the valve I never knew I had
oooc52bmqtav.jpg&key=ce8aaf6150779331106a65451064f0ce9b856ceb37dd07dcd096249d6ae3ec29pjafk25sa9t4.jpg&key=fc573c2897b90c11150059d6c3bb2d9cc2933773a8e568b563b9b1bf43af9f40

Anyway, in draining the tank to get access to that piece of pipework the magic really started to happen, we discovered that the water was not all coming out of the outflow pipe which leads outside but was also exiting somewhere in the vicinity of my downstairs neighbour which happens to be a carpet shop *forgot to mention that. The sales assistant had to run up to my house screaming that water was pouring through the ceiling. When me and the plumber went to inspect the damage it seemed she was somewhat exaggerating and although there was visible leakage it did seem that the water had largely spewed out onto my garden outside. Thankfully the fuschias did need a bit of watering.

I spoke to the owner later and he seemed somewhat nonplussed in a way that reminded me of the scene in Peep Show where Mark scratches Johnson's car and his only response is to devilishly exclaim he's "insured out the arse", Fortunately he's had a few floods from the flats above his over the years, I had a leaking toilet cistern, my next door neighbour had his pipes burst, I've had my washing machine cable come loose and spew water all over his toilet ceiling. Shit happens. 

The plumber explained that although I could use the hot water for the time being, this outflow pipe would need replaced so any leaks that develop would all funnel outside rather than over my neighbours lovely lovely floor coverings. I explained that I'd be happy to wait till my next pay-day to have him fix the outflow pipe and paid him £50 for his trouble and sent him on his way,

I feel awful, I feel awful that the carpet shop owner has had another water intrusion, I feel awful for this plumber who came out to fix an initially simple job which has cascaded into a nightmare, I feel awful that its distracted me from my entire day, I feel awful for anyone who has had to read this.

To make matters worse the outflow pipe has developed the tiniest tiniest leak, the most inconsequential problem in this whole scenario, I put a pan under it and it seemed to drip once every 80 seconds or so. I should probably phone the plumber back and get him to fix that too but I feel exhausted and drained from the day and its not really him thats caused this so I've used a small piece of modelling putty to attempt to seal the leak, it seems to have worked so far and its been 5 hours, no drips. 
z54feanrw18n.jpg&key=ad8f81be14a8fd4f61ddd35ee078ca1c3c89c6baeb475a0a94f90bbc48849069

I am absolutely exhausted, it feels so petty when there people which much worse right now but I just want to break down and cry myself to sleep and start tomorrow fresh. But hey, at least I have hot water!
(did i mention the boilers on the blink)
Someone shoot me

rutwedrq7zmu.jpg&key=6b7c3d7c981bc07ea4dd16680700aff2c5bf866510c5a31f44ad1faea31f6d0c

Didn’t read.

Haud on a minute. What the f**k is a carpet shop doing open in the middle of a pandemic ?

No chance of a pint, places running on a skeleton service, yet you can pop down and pick up a shag pile for your hallway ?

GTF

2 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Haud on a minute. What the f**k is a carpet shop doing open in the middle of a pandemic ?

No chance of a pint, places running on a skeleton service, yet you can pop down and pick up a shag pile for your hallway ?

GTF

It's not the pandemic he's living through; it's the Winter of Discontent.

GTF
No pandemic in the 70s

6 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Get round there and fix this boy's pipes (no euph) and make sure he's no gonna die from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Would be great PR for you m9.

I hope he does die from carbon monoxide poisoning after making me read all that shite. 

5 hours ago, harkinsbaldpatch said:
8 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:
GTF

No pandemic in the 70s

'Course there was.

Jimmy Saville to name but one.