Summer Transfers of '20

Guest Axle Grease
45 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Some brass neck for the club who couldn’t afford to give players an extra month of furlough pay.

They were out of contract. 

41 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Quite, we should've just went into next season as amateurs. 

It wouldn’t have cost the club to have the government pay their wages for another month or two. That didn’t stop them claiming they had to do it out of necessity though.

After taking advice from independent parties the club thought there would be a risk that unnecessary extending contracts furlough them and release anyway carried a risk that the club would be liable.

The club like many others chose that this would not be a risk worth taking.

This has been explained several times. 

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

It wouldn’t have cost the club to have the government pay their wages for another month or two. That didn’t stop them claiming they had to do it out of necessity though.

Literally been explained a million times, we got advised not to do it so we didn't. 

You do know the reason why we've signed two players, is because they were also released, right? Because those clubs also got told not to keep them on. 

15 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Despite his age, he's probably better than your other strikers. You'd have thought he'd give it one last season.

He was finished at top flight level in his last season with us, so I dont think it would be worth tarnishing the memory. 

I'd rather see John Robertson (our one) or Shaun Struthers get chances as 4th choice (if they dont get loaned out.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of Dunfermline or other clubs not extending contracts to keep players on furlough, is it necessarily a slap in the face to start signing other players? They obviously need to start building a squad at some point.

Also, while they've announced the signings now, is it possible that Whittaker & Watson's contracts don't actually officially start for another few weeks anyway until they're planning to be back in training?

41 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Also, while they've announced the signings now, is it possible that Whittaker & Watson's contracts don't actually officially start for another few weeks anyway until they're planning to be back in training?

I'd assume not as they'd be pre contracts, surely?

4 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I don't think you can sign anyone at the moment anyway, do you not need to wait for the window to open or something? That could, and probably is bollocks. 

@Skyline Drifter Get in here big boi. 

4 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Window not open on 9th of June or something?

The window is not open. They aren't opening it until mid July I think as the maximum length it can be open for is 12 weeks and they want to keep it open until the end of September. The 9th June was supposed to be the date but it was deferred.

That said, I'm conscious some players such as Alan Forrest and Ross Docherty had pre contracts to join other clubs in June and Rangers have announced a couple of signings. Hearts have published Craig Gordon and Dunfermline announced two yesterday. I don't know if the SFA is allowing submission of documents with an extended approval date so they can approve only when the window opens? I've not actually looked into yet as we've not tried to sign anyone yet.

Edited by Skyline Drifter