Summer Transfers of '20

43 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

More interested in the news that Moore is out for the season apparently. If that boy didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck. Wouldn't wish that on anyone. Him and Lewis Vaughan are Scottish football's continual injuries. 🙁

Given that it's quite possible that the whole season may end up out for the season, if he had to get crocked maybe it's as good a time as any for it to happen. Good luck to him, anyway.

55 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Old news, we knew that Friday. More interested in the news that Moore is out for the season apparently. If that boy didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck. Wouldn't wish that on anyone. Him and Lewis Vaughan are Scottish football's continual injuries. 🙁

McPake's ears p***ked up at that - two signings incoming methinks......

Edited by Spikethedee

On 03/10/2020 at 12:06, Skyline Drifter said:

Fair enough. Still mental from Clyde no matter how good he is.

Just regarding this. Clyde 'paid a fee' but when Dunfermline initially bought him from Clyde, the cost of the transfer was spread across the length of his contract. As far as I understand it given other examples in a similar situation the fee paid is essentially the cancellation of those payments and an arbitrary amount on top of that - potentially the classic bag of balls or literally £1.

I don't know for sure of course and it's all speculation, but this is the only way I can see us outbidding any other team, given the Pars still owed us a a seasons worth of payments that they can now write off.

21 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Just regarding this. Clyde 'paid a fee' but when Dunfermline initially bought him from Clyde, the cost of the transfer was spread across the length of his contract. As far as I understand it given other examples in a similar situation the fee paid is essentially the cancellation of those payments and an arbitrary amount on top of that - potentially the classic bag of balls or literally £1.

I don't know for sure of course and it's all speculation, but this is the only way I can see us outbidding any other team, given the Pars still owed us a a seasons worth of payments that they can now write off.

Yeah, that's still paying a fee though. It's not free just because no money changes hands. If Dunfermline were due to pay you £5k and now don't then you've effectively paid £5k for him. Still think that's mental in current circumstances but I'll leave it at that.

45 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah, that's still paying a fee though. It's not free just because no money changes hands. If Dunfermline were due to pay you £5k and now don't then you've effectively paid £5k for him. Still think that's mental in current circumstances but I'll leave it at that.

I don't disagree that it's a bit mad - just adding my 2 cents regarding possible ins and outs of the deal so no one is under the impression that Clyde are throwing money about 

On 05/10/2020 at 15:59, Skyline Drifter said:

Now THAT's a good signing. Great piece of business for Ayr and even more surprising it's for a season, though see McCrorie, R for how meaningful that might ultimately be.

January recall option for Aberdeen though.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Mainly because it's not legal. It can't be "fully" pay as you play. He has to have a basic wage which at least meets minimum wage requirements.

Obviously...

But it's still by definition pay as you play. Basic rate, topped up with appearance fees.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Obviously...

But it's still by definition pay as you play. Basic rate, topped up with appearance fees.

Well yeah, but half the footballers in the country have a basic wage topped up by appearance fees. If you talk about "pay as you play" deals to the average supporter they assume it means the player isn't being paid at all if they aren't playing.