Summer Transfers of '20

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

But is he in any way competent? Half the teams don't have a GK as of yet but I'd imagine he wouldn't make the top 5 once all teams have a starting keeper IMO. Might be wrong of course, just that seems to be the perception and he's never looked decent when I've watched him on TV.

Competence is a relative trait and it looks like we'll be grading on a very steep curve in the Championship this season. At least we don't seem to have Ramsbottom again (although the club has still not said anything about this or any other activity because Morton). 

Edited by vikingTON

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

But is he in any way competent? Half the teams don't have a GK as of yet but I'd imagine he wouldn't make the top 5 once all teams have a starting keeper IMO. Might be wrong of course, just that seems to be the perception and he's never looked decent when I've watched him on TV.

I'm not a fan on the little I saw. He never made huge mistakes but he just doesn't look commanding for being a 6,4 keeper. After Rogers and MacDonald were taken I was struggling to see what other options were out there in our wage bracket and better than him. Seems to be a few teams in our league looking for keeper this season too.  He has only played 6-7 games for us so hard to say how good/bad this signing will be. I know Hamilton and ICT didn't rate him, so the jury is out. 

Edited by Chubbychops

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I thought he was competent, without being fantastic. After having Scully and Gill for last year though, competent is a massive, massive step up. He's currently in about the fifth most competent keeper in the league I'd imagine, he's just alright. Didn't commit any massive clangers in his time, although his penalty save relegated Partick and stopped us losing. 

There's it any "obvious" keepers left that I'd rather sign over him, a championship side may pull a rabbit out the hat and find a cracking keeper from somewhere but I have a feeling having an alright keeper will be allot better than what some championship teams have. 

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I think he played half a dozen games for us so can’t imagine even Pars fans are qualified enough to comment.

He’s not complete shite and is excited to be involved so that’s a positive start. Hopefully he helps the younger keepers in his new role as GK coach as well.

I’d certainly take him over the wee team continuing with the reanimated husk once known as Dave McGurn.

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I think he played half a dozen games for us so can’t imagine even Pars fans are qualified enough to comment.

He’s not complete shite and is excited to be involved so that’s a positive start. Hopefully he helps the younger keepers in his new role as GK coach as well.

I’d certainly take him over the wee team continuing with the reanimated husk once known as Dave McGurn.

Davie McGurn is their 3rd choice at best though.

OFW always looked decent enough against us and while I appreciate its a relatively small pool, he didnt get to go to Euro 16 with the Welsh for no reason. I havent seen enough of him but the criticism from ICT fans always surprised me a little. I'm sure he will be fine. This division has possibly the 2nd best keeper in the country in it and Jamie MacDonald is still a top keeper too. Mark Ridgers and Neil Parry have been excellent the last 2 or 3 yrs. Being there or thereabouts next best with Gaston is no disgrace. Better than Hamilton for sure. Ayr and Morton dont have a keeper yet. We have last year's no 2 in Leighfield. Remains to be seen if he is getting a run at it or we bring in someone else. 

Guest Flash
18 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

OFW always looked decent enough against us and while I appreciate its a relatively small pool, he didnt get to go to Euro 16 with the Welsh for no reason. I havent seen enough of him but the criticism from ICT fans always surprised me a little. I'm sure he will be fine. This division has possibly the 2nd best keeper in the country in it and Jamie MacDonald is still a top keeper too. Mark Ridgers and Neil Parry have been excellent the last 2 or 3 yrs. Being there or thereabouts next best with Gaston is no disgrace. Better than Hamilton for sure. Ayr and Morton dont have a keeper yet. We have last year's no 2 in Leighfield. Remains to be seen if he is getting a run at it or we bring in someone else. 

Is it likely Leighfield will be first choice when he couldn’t get in the team ahead of Stewart? 

On 04/08/2020 at 01:43, Skyline Drifter said:

I hadn’t actually noticed they’d signed MacDonald tbh. Good keeper.

Craig Gordon *was* a great keeper but his best days are long behind him. Should be more than good enough for this dross league ofc.

7 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I hadn’t actually noticed they’d signed MacDonald tbh. Good keeper.

Craig Gordon *was* a great keeper but his best days are long behind him. Should be more than good enough for this dross league ofc.

He's had some bad injuries and he's now 37. He was better 10 years ago for sure but he's still a very good keeper who might have been first choice at Celtic if he'd agreed a new contract. I'd certainly pick him before Scott Bain all day, every day but Neil Lennon may think differently. Don't think he was ever a massive fan and Gordon was never good with the ball at his feet. He'll never be a sweeper keeper.

I've never seen this new Celtic keeper so I've no idea how good he is. Alan McGregor is a better keeper than Gordon these days for sure. Joe Lewis is a very good keeper too but Gordon is still at that level I suspect. Young guns like Zander Clark and Robby McCrorie will overtake him shortly if they haven't already but Gordon's probably as good as anyone outside Rangers first choice right now.

I also think there are a lot of poorer keepers in the top division than Jamie MacDonald too. I'm surprised he didn't do better than Raith (no disrespect to Raith intended).

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's had some bad injuries and he's now 37. He was better 10 years ago for sure but he's still a very good keeper who might have been first choice at Celtic if he'd agreed a new contract. I'd certainly pick him before Scott Bain all day, every day but Neil Lennon may think differently. Don't think he was ever a massive fan and Gordon was never good with the ball at his feet. He'll never be a sweeper keeper.

I've never seen this new Celtic keeper so I've no idea how good he is. Alan McGregor is a better keeper than Gordon these days for sure. Joe Lewis is a very good keeper too but Gordon is still at that level I suspect. Young guns like Zander Clark and Robby McCrorie will overtake him shortly if they haven't already but Gordon's probably as good as anyone outside Rangers first choice right now.

I also think there are a lot of poorer keepers in the top division than Jamie MacDonald too. I'm surprised he didn't do better than Raith (no disrespect to Raith intended).

Gordon Strachan selected Jack Hamilton to Scotland squads ahead of Scott Bain.

Jack Hamilton...….

Obviously, (ex) Celtic managers have no clue when it comes to keepers...

I’m stunned he went to raith tbh, that is a cracking signing for them.
I don’t rate Bain but even I’d still pick him over Gordon at this stage.

Think he kinda limited his options when he said he wanted to remain near Edinburgh. He was never going to get back to Hearts with them already having Gordon so it was either yourselves or Raith that were going to get him.

Tricky now that ourselves, Morton, QOTS and possibly Dundee are all looking for a first choice keeper but there doesn’t seem to be many decent options out there right now.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Think he kinda limited his options when he said he wanted to remain near Edinburgh. He was never going to get back to Hearts with them already having Gordon so it was either yourselves or Raith that were going to get him.

Tricky now that ourselves, Morton, QOTS and possibly Dundee (for the love of God, please) are all looking for a first choice keeper but there doesn’t seem to be many decent options out there right now.

FTFY

Craig Gordon will absolutely skoosh this league. Still one of the best keepers in Scotland. Might not be the best as he once was, but Rab Douglas was this leagues best keeper until his 40s, so Craig Gordon will not have any issues at 37.

And just because he wasn't suited to the role of sweeper keeper at Celtic doesnt mean he's terrible with the ball at his feet either! 

Due to him being at Hearts and being such high profile, people will be more likely to judge him for the slightest thing, but even with that, he'll still be a million miles ahead of the next best next season.

On 03/08/2020 at 15:52, Chubbychops said:

I'm not a fan on the little I saw. He never made huge mistakes but he just doesn't look commanding for being a 6,4 keeper. After Rogers and MacDonald were taken I was struggling to see what other options were out there in our wage bracket and better than him. Seems to be a few teams in our league looking for keeper this season too.  He has only played 6-7 games for us so hard to say how good/bad this signing will be. I know Hamilton and ICT didn't rate him, so the jury is out. 

OFW was mostly okay to average for a lot of games but sometimes he would turn in a blinding performance and pull off incredible saves but more often than not he swung the other way and had a howler in him for far too many games to be reliable. Average at best but I'm not sure that there are many excellent keepers in this league anyway.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Craig Gordon will absolutely skoosh this league. Still one of the best keepers in Scotland. Might not be the best as he once was, but Rab Douglas was this leagues best keeper until his 40s, so Craig Gordon will not have any issues at 37.

And just because he wasn't suited to the role of sweeper keeper at Celtic doesnt mean he's terrible with the ball at his feet either! 

Due to him being at Hearts and being such high profile, people will be more likely to judge him for the slightest thing, but even with that, he'll still be a million miles ahead of the next best next season.

He is though.

Agree with the rest.

25 minutes ago, RiG said:

OFW was mostly okay to average for a lot of games but sometimes he would turn in a blinding performance and pull off incredible saves but more often than not he swung the other way and had a howler in him for far too many games to be reliable. Average at best but I'm not sure that there are many excellent keepers in this league anyway.

No? As said above, I think there are. There's almost no middle ground and if there is it's occupied by Fon Williams and Gaston. Gordon, MacDonald, Ridgers and probably Parry are all tremendous keepers for this level. Hamilton seems to have dropped through the floor in the last 3 years or so and the other three clubs don't have a no 1 keeper at the moment (unless we're promoting Leighfield to that role).

Gordon and MacDonald could have got a starting jersey in the Premiership no problem. Indeed if Gordon starts the season well and playing regularly I wouldn't be astonished to see him back in the international fold, though he won't be helped by Scotland getting back to action before Hearts are.