Stranraer 2021-2022 - The Big 151

The SPFL website says that you have signed Luke Scullion, a modern apprentice keeper that the Jags released at the end of last season - https://spfl.co.uk/news/summer-signings-47729

image.png.7991e2a3a2c5fb32b367183730552a7e.png

There's nothing about it AFAIK on the club website. Can anyone confirm it? If so, I hope he does well.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

23 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Tom Devitt has signed for Hebburn Town and a friend of mine is asking how he was with you guys? I obviously never came across him but do you have anything I can pass back to him?

Tom did fine when he played. Only made 10 appearances, scored once with his head but was known at Blyth Spartans to pose a threat in the air from set pieces. Travelled thousands of miles for limited first team opportunities and by all reports had a great attitude, so I hope he does well.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to the game earlier as I was in the area. Always have a soft spot for stranraer. Sad to say it was a poor performnace and serious alarm bells must be ringing for the season ahead. The game could still have been playing and the blues still wouldn't have scored. Surely it cant get any worse than it was today

Rumour has it Broque Watson could be on his way to Stair Park. Broque has direct line speed and should show more potential than he did for us. Had little end product and didn't seem to know where the net was. Saying that a run of games, some confidence and he could excel.

Screenshot_20210823-191931.jpg

This could be a future defining season. If we go out into the lowland league it would be a struggle to get back into the SPFL. Look at Shire and Berwick falling support didn't help them once out of the league.

Sad to say it, but I said after the Elgin game that I was fairly confident we would finish bottom this season.
It was clear that we were going to struggle this year. Team is too small and inexperienced.
Hope I’m wrong.

This could be a future defining season. If we go out into the lowland league it would be a struggle to get back into the SPFL. Look at Shire and Berwick falling support didn't help them once out of the league.

If Saturday is anything to go by then it will certainly be a long season for you, one thing that did surprise me though was how accepting of the performance that the fans appeared to be. Other than 4 or 5 guys behind the goal shouting at the Goalkeeper to get it forward, nothing else seemed to come from the stands and everybody just seemed to trudge home afterwards, all very blasé like.

Might be wrong, but just going in what I witnessed on Saturday.

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

If Saturday is anything to go by then it will certainly be a long season for you, one thing that did surprise me though was how accepting of the performance that the fans appeared to be. Other than 4 or 5 guys behind the goal shouting at the Goalkeeper to get it forward, nothing else seemed to come from the stands and everybody just seemed to trudge home afterwards, all very blasé like.

Might be wrong, but just going in what I witnessed on Saturday.

We  had a great team last year but it was decimated during the close season, plus the manager pissed off to Dumbarton after signing a contract a fortnight earlier! 

A Stranraer manager will always have a small budget to work with and Hamill is up against it. 

A good performance against Killie gave us hope in the system and young players. The start of the league campaign brought the reality crashing down. 

Still, it's too early to panic and a few tweaks might make a difference, he says with a rabbit's foot and lucky white heather to hand.

1 hour ago, stranraerfc1870 said:

We  had a great team last year but it was decimated during the close season, plus the manager pissed off to Dumbarton after signing a contract a fortnight earlier! 

A Stranraer manager will always have a small budget to work with and Hamill is up against it. 

A good performance against Killie gave us hope in the system and young players. The start of the league campaign brought the reality crashing down. 

Still, it's too early to panic and a few tweaks might make a difference, he says with a rabbit's foot and lucky white heather to hand.

Don't write us off yet

I’ve been thinking recently that maybe a football club does have a natural decline, and there’s no doubt that Stranraer are on the decline and have been for decades (in terms of local interest). Maybe that’s okay as I got to enjoy some good times.

I also read that the Lowland League would be the end of the club but I see no reason why it would have to be. I’ll celebrate a Stranraer goal against Drummore United just as happily as I would a goal against Stenhousemuir.