Stranraer 2021-2022 - The Big 151

13 hours ago, Moonball said:

First signing of the summer!

@Cardinal Richelieu can we get the thread title updated to Stranraer 2021-22? 😉

I liked Tam Muir and wouldn't have been averse to him staying at Ochilview for another season. Stranraer are getting a wholehearted player, someone who will press from the front, get wired in and generally make a nuisance of himself. I was sorry supporters didn't get the chance to watch him last year as I'm sure they would really have taken to him. He only scored twice for Stenhousemuir (and only once in open play) and he's not the most technically proficient of strikers but if you can get the right kind of support around him to make up for his shortcomings, I think you could have a really useful player in your ranks.

Happy with this our first signing.

Hopefully get him smashing the goals in for THE BLUES.

I to will be sad to see ORR leaving if the rumour mill is correct.

Cracking player who gives 100%.

Be interesting to see who the blues let go??? and who we sign back on.

Is anyone one on a longer contract than the normal one year.???

Anyway in SF we trust.

KEEP THE FAITH

MON BLUES.

21 minutes ago, dusty bin said:

Happy with this our first signing.

Hopefully get him smashing the goals in for THE BLUES.

I to will be sad to see ORR leaving if the rumour mill is correct.

Cracking player who gives 100%.

Be interesting to see who the blues let go??? and who we sign back on.

Is anyone one on a longer contract than the normal one year.???

Anyway in SF we trust.

KEEP THE FAITH

MON BLUES.

Matty Yates and Josh Walker are the only players under contract for next season, both signed 18 month deals in winter.

I hope Jaio Victoria stays.   Would not be surprised though to see him leave, given the number of times the manager

has thrown him under the bus this season. 

Not absolutely sure what Muir brings to the team .

Edited by beefybake

16 hours ago, beefybake said:

I hope Jaio Victoria stays.   Would not be surprised though to see him leave, given the number of times the manager

Think Victoria will be away. He’s not been one for sticking about during his career. 
Don’t think we’ll see Paton, Hilton or Elliott back either. Each of them at the stage were they’ll want to be playing every week. 
Leaves us short attacking wise.

Muir had good stats at Annan but, didn’t carry that on to Stenny although a few of their fans have spoken highly of him. 

Would like a new goalkeeper, two new full backs, a centre midfielder and couple of forwards. 

Interesting take on team selection.

Season 2019-20: very limited squad with very limited bench, meaning same starting eleven most weeks. Outcome - criticism for manager over his squad and team selection.

Season 2020-21: squad of around 20, all of whom could make a strong claim to start, and all of whom we’d have been happy to see starting. Outcome - criticism for manager over his team selection.

What would people prefer - same starting eleven every week or a squad with a strong interchangeable bench?

We all see things differently, but often it was horses for courses during the season and I’d ask who you would have dropped to allow Joao to start more regularly?

I really hope Joao stays - one fond memory was his blinder of a performance against Craig Thomson at Ainslie Park - had him tied in knots!

5 hours ago, TAFKAC said:

Interesting. I think Victoria might be off.

Do you not rate Fleming?

We’ve been spoilt with goalkeepers for a good few years. 
For me Fleming maybe needs to lose a stone or two. 
Often looks stiff and unfit. 
He’s a different style to the likes of Currie, Mitchell or Belford who all did well for us. 
They were all about agility and shot stopping. 

Lobbed against Kelty and Queens Park. Partly to blame for the Edinburgh City goal in our last league home game. Struggles to kick with his right foot. 
His efforts against Albion Rovers in the penalty shoot out were abysmal. 
Ironically went on to save a penalty against the same team in the league. 

Flip side we kept many clean sheets this season so he can’t be all that bad. 

Edited by Mattmc

Connor McManus to East Fife now confirmed. 

Not sure we’ve ever found the right partner for McManus. 
I know others disagree but always thought he was a bit of a luxury. Tidy on the ball but, doesn’t do enough off it. 
Don’t think he didn’t track men well, doesn’t have many goals to his name or assists. 

If we are to keep Miller I’d like to see a bit more of an attacking midfielder in beside him. 

14 hours ago, Mattmc said:

We’ve been spoilt with goalkeepers for a good few years. 
For me Fleming maybe needs to lose a stone or two. 
Often looks stiff and unfit. 
He’s a different style to the likes of Currie, Mitchell or Belford who all did well for us. 
They were all about agility and shot stopping. 

Lobbed against Kelty and Queens Park. Partly to blame for the Edinburgh City goal in our last league home game. Struggles to kick with his right foot. 
His efforts against Albion Rovers in the penalty shoot out were abysmal. 
Ironically went on to save a penalty against the same team in the league. 

Flip side we kept many clean sheets this season so he can’t be all that bad. 

I'd agree we've been spoilt with goalkeepers. I think Fleming is 'steady'. He's not spectacular. I cannot really think of any saves he has made that I find myself thinking 'how did he do that?'. Equally, I'm struggling to think of any massively clear-cut errors.

In terms of McManus, I'd agree on the more goals front. I know he is not an attacking midfielder or someone that pushes forward at all times but I think with his technique and quality on the ball he should probably chip in with more.

He's been at Edinburgh City for the last year.

On 19/05/2021 at 14:59, Clayhole Blue said:

Interesting take on team selection.

Season 2019-20: very limited squad with very limited bench, meaning same starting eleven most weeks. Outcome - criticism for manager over his squad and team selection.

Season 2020-21: squad of around 20, all of whom could make a strong claim to start, and all of whom we’d have been happy to see starting. Outcome - criticism for manager over his team selection.

What would people prefer - same starting eleven every week or a squad with a strong interchangeable bench?

We all see things differently, but often it was horses for courses during the season and I’d ask who you would have dropped to allow Joao to start more regularly?

I really hope Joao stays - one fond memory was his blinder of a performance against Craig Thomson at Ainslie Park - had him tied in knots!

Throwing someone under the bus......

" I take completel responsibility ....... ".

"Of course, X should have scored...".

The manager comment was “Joao should have scored”. Something the player agreed with as did several around me who saw the chance at the time.
It was an observation, an opinion, even a criticism if you prefer.

To say it was throwing him under the bus is outright nonsense.

Beefybake, You state earlier in the thread that the manager has done this a number of times this season. Could you furnish us with these examples?

18 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

The manager comment was “Joao should have scored”. Something the player agreed with as did several around me who saw the chance at the time.
It was an observation, an opinion, even a criticism if you prefer.

To say it was throwing him under the bus is outright nonsense.

Beefybake, You state earlier in the thread that the manager has done this a number of times this season. Could you furnish us with these examples?

Go look yourself, you lazy b.

And yes, he has done it several times this season. 

Although, tbf,  " I take complete responsibility..."

before laying it off onto someone else has become something of a feature of the post match interviews ...

Edited by beefybake