Stranraer 2021-2022 - The Big 151

Chance of our Scottish cup tie being televised should Hearts progress? 
Premier Sports have surprisingly jumped in and taken the Old Firm games for a change.

BBC not announced their pick yet so presumably waiting to see who progresses from round 2. 

Alright guys, we had a really interesting interview with Ruari Paton on this week’s episode of The Auchterarder Chippy. Sounds like he’s thoroughly enjoying his time at Stair Park and has a few more celebrations up his sleeve! Have a listen to get you in the mood for the impending return of proper football!

This is probably as good a place as any for a query on the club's history.

I've read that Stranraer was a merger between a number of other clubs - Academy Coursers, Lodge TC, Sheuchan Swifts, and Waverley.

The only references I can find on googling them relate to them all merging to form Stranraer.

What was the point of them doing so?  It basically stopped there being any fixtures within Stranraer.  Or had they all decided that they would be better off only playing clubs from outside the town?

Also, what was the story with Dalrymple Harriers?  According to the John Boyd research on the net Viscount Dalrymple became the president of the remnant Stranraer United - was he a bit ticked off that this upstart club was stealing his name?  (About the same time Stranraer Corinthians started, couldn't get registered, and vanished.  Seems there was a lot of plotting going on then...)

On 09/03/2021 at 16:32, bluearmyfaction said:

This is probably as good a place as any for a query on the club's history.

I've read that Stranraer was a merger between a number of other clubs - Academy Coursers, Lodge TC, Sheuchan Swifts, and Waverley.

The only references I can find on googling them relate to them all merging to form Stranraer.

What was the point of them doing so?  It basically stopped there being any fixtures within Stranraer.  Or had they all decided that they would be better off only playing clubs from outside the town?

Also, what was the story with Dalrymple Harriers?  According to the John Boyd research on the net Viscount Dalrymple became the president of the remnant Stranraer United - was he a bit ticked off that this upstart club was stealing his name?  (About the same time Stranraer Corinthians started, couldn't get registered, and vanished.  Seems there was a lot of plotting going on then...)

John Boyd's book 'The Stranraer Football Club Centenary 1870-1970' is a very handy reference source.  There were a lot of games getting scratched in those days as the teams couldn't field enough players due to work, etc.

We'll never know why, but can only surmise the teams of the town got together to have a strong first team squad to play games outside the local area, and a junior team to play in the summer league.

There must have been  either a massive fall out or someone was splashing the cash for almost all the players to go to Dalrymple Harriers, however that team must have been unsustainable as no record of them exists after the one season.

Throughout the decades local teams come and go but I've never heard of Stranraer Corinthians.

SFC 1870 1970 book.jpg

I have said it before on here but I would just like to reiterate...

If we vote in favour of the colts proposal and it goes through, my interest in following Stranraer will disappear. 

My financial contributions to the club might be worth less than whatever else is on offer, but  I’m sure I won’t be the only one that would be totally fed up if that scenario comes to pass.

Edited by GallowayBlue

15 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Am I remembering correctly Kyle turner was impressive a few years ago in L1 for Stranraer? 

Just signed on loan for us but my memory is slightly hazy!

You've got an absolute gem there. Can't believe Dunfermline are letting him out on loan.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Am I remembering correctly Kyle turner was impressive a few years ago in L1 for Stranraer? 

Hi old friend great signing, I tip him for the top full of talent great attacking midfielder with winning mentality, something must have happened behind the scenes at the Pars, you's have won a watch.

15 hours ago, Moonball said:

You've got an absolute gem there. Can't believe Dunfermline are letting him out on loan.

Neither can I, just wondered if it was the same person!!

13 hours ago, thomas 62 said:

Hi old friend great signing, I tip him for the top full of talent great attacking midfielder with winning mentality, something must have happened behind the scenes at the Pars, you's have won a watch.

Bonjour Thomas! At least with this break from football the refs will be getting peace from you 😂😂🤝🤝

18 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Great addition. Full of energy, can tackle, pass and will adds goals. 
Always follow the progress of players of that have done Stranraer a good turn, Kyle being one of them. Very surprised to see him loaned out. Seemed to be playing enough and certainly performing well enough. 
Possible that Kyle is looking to move on in the summer and Crawford has taken the pet?

On 13/03/2021 at 12:58, stranraerfc1870 said:

John Boyd's book 'The Stranraer Football Club Centenary 1870-1970' is a very handy reference source.  There were a lot of games getting scratched in those days as the teams couldn't field enough players due to work, etc.

Throughout the decades local teams come and go but I've never heard of Stranraer Corinthians.

Thanks - will take a look for that book, I see there's a copy on eBay.  

Corinthians are mentioned in the Football Club Directory as being formed in 1908 but rejected for SFA membership, and disbanding the same year.  So they probably never played, just an idea to start up a senior club and were pre-empted by whatever was going on with Stranraer (United) FC and Dalrymple Harriers.

On 13/03/2021 at 12:58, stranraerfc1870 said:

We'll never know why, but can only surmise the teams of the town got together to have a strong first team squad to play games outside the local area, and a junior team to play in the summer league.

There must have been  either a massive fall out or someone was splashing the cash for almost all the players to go to Dalrymple Harriers, however that team must have been unsustainable as no record of them exists after the one season.

SFC 1870 1970 book.jpg

I was looking at this book on EBay. Is it worth buying?

I was looking at this book on EBay. Is it worth buying?

If you can get it at a reasonable price GB I’d say go for it. It’s a nice piece of of memorabilia for a Stranraer FC fan.
Written by John Boyd the editor of the Free Press at the time.

It’s not a thrilling read to be fair. Really quite dry but it gives you a peep back into an era few of us know much about. It’s a factual account rather than an entertaining read.

Flicking through it you’ll probably pick up little snippets of into that you never previously knew and it’s a handy reference.

7 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

If you can get it at a reasonable price GB I’d say go for it. It’s a nice piece of of memorabilia for a Stranraer FC fan.
Written by John Boyd the editor of the Free Press at the time.

It’s not a thrilling read to be fair. Really quite dry but it gives you a peep back into an era few of us know much about. It’s a factual account rather than an entertaining read.

Flicking through it you’ll probably pick up little snippets of into that you never previously knew and it’s a handy reference.

Thank you.

What’s the thoughts on form at the minute? 

One win in four league games. Not really play off form. Looking the other way Stenny have a great chance to catch us if we slip again and get themselves to the right end of the split. 

Going forward I think things are only going to get tougher as the fixtures come thick and fast. 
When the return was announced I expected us to be better placed than we are at the minute. 
After dropping points at Cowdenbeath I felt we needed to take at least 7 from our next three league games,  unfortunately we’ve failed at the first hurdle.

We can sit and say, we’re creating chances or we deserved more etc but, look what that brought us last season. 
I’d sooner create one chance a game, win 1-0 every week and be sitting in the play offs rather than the position we are in now.

Squad rotation has been used as an excuse but, not one that can be given by the manager. 
Every other club strengthened in the last few months while we stuck with what we’ve got. That’s fine if your happy and feel what’s out there isn’t any more positive than what you’ve got but, a quick look at some of the names that moved on loan and most would think different.

As much as nothing is possible yet, playoffs surely has to be a minimum requirement for the season. Fear it’s slipping away rather quickly.