Stranraer 2021-2022 - The Big 151

5 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

I did not say that. Those are your words not mine and not representative of my comments or my opinion.

I suppose this is a possible interpretation of the comment about the crowd at the Celtic under 19s game as I know it brought a lot of locals to Stair Park that otherwise wouldn’t have known where it was...

I appreciate that is not what you were saying, although I’m sure that you could see that some fans could interpret the club’s potential support for the proposal in that way.

I don’t think it would be a bad idea to have a bigger fourth tier.  There are enough ambitious teams with decent facilities to support a 16 team league.  But it should not include Celtic and Rangers* colts.  I would add one or maybe two from the Highland League, with the rest from the Lowland. And with a league of that size you could afford automatic relegation and a relegation playoff, without making relegation too easy, and return to the league too difficult.

If we are ever to have colts teams in the league it needs to be done properly, possibly ageing the Spanish system.  This would mean that any club could play a second team in the league, not just the gruesome twosome.  And the right level for them to join would be at the bottom of the pyramid.

Having lived away from the town for 45 years and first supported the club in the late 1960s I think our problem with poor crowds arises from a combination of the town now being poorer and people having other things to do.  But I think the rot set in in the 1980s, rather than the last few years.

40 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I don’t think it would be a bad idea to have a bigger fourth tier.  There are enough ambitious teams with decent facilities to support a 16 team league.  But it should not include Celtic and Rangers* colts.  I would add one or maybe two from the Highland League, with the rest from the Lowland. And with a league of that size you could afford automatic relegation and a relegation playoff, without making relegation too easy, and return to the league too difficult.

If we are ever to have colts teams in the league it needs to be done properly, possibly ageing the Spanish system.  This would mean that any club could play a second team in the league, not just the gruesome twosome.  And the right level for them to join would be at the bottom of the pyramid.

Having lived away from the town for 45 years and first supported the club in the late 1960s I think our problem with poor crowds arises from a combination of the town now being poorer and people having other things to do.  But I think the rot set in in the 1980s, rather than the last few years.

I'm not from the area but I'd imagine one factor in home gates is geography. For folk who move away to the central belt area it's a bit of a trek to get back for home games.

As for a 16 team bottom tier it's something I'd like but it's unlikely to happen as to makes up for the loss of three home gates prize money would need to be increased to off set & I can't see that happening imo.  I like 16 as a division number so my own overall SPFL preference is 3x16 (sans colt teams) but that of course won't happen due to the reasons outlined already.

Edited by GNU_Linux

15 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

I'm not from the area but I'd imagine one factor in home gates is geography. For folk who move away to the central belt area it's a bit of a trek to get back for home games.

As for a 16 team bottom tier it's something I'd like but it's unlikely to happen as to makes up for the loss of three home gates prize money would need to be increased to off set & I can't see that happening imo.  I like 16 as a division number so my own overall SPFL preference is 3x16 (sans colt teams) but that of course won't happen due to the reasons outlined already.

Geography is undoubtedly a factor.  Just a few years ago we were in the same league as four Angus teams, no more than 20 minutes away from each other by car and so unsurprisingly their average attendances were good that year.  This year our nearest opponents are in Glasgow. There are many of us who get to many more away games than home, because we live in the central belt. Ironically, this year I’ve been able to 'attend' more home games  than usual - and get my admissions money into Stranraer’s coffers rather than others' - because of the Club’s brilliant streaming. 

• 2 weeks later...
Innes cameron has joined alloa on loan from killie , Thoughts on the player peeps ?

Came to us as a raw youngster, immediately scored on his debut and then took some time to establish himself after that fantastic start. By the end of the season when he returned to Killie we were desperate to see him stay. He had bagged a number of important goals by then and was a real presence up front for us. Not sure how many games he’s had recently, but think he’ll do a job for you!

Account that I buy retro Pars tops off has put that up, just a heads up incase anyone fancied it. 

The Stranraer top that is! Caught my eye because I'd never heard of Icis before. 

ICIS were an English company who mainly manufactured a lot of English non-league teams kits back in the mid-90s early 2000s. They sponsored the Isthmian League for a while and were the Official team wear supplier for the likes of the Northern & Southern Premier League’s. Quality kits in the day.
Stranraer were the only Scottish League club they supplied.

On 28/01/2021 at 21:23, Grant228 said:

Account that I buy retro Pars tops off has put that up, just a heads up incase anyone fancied it. 

The Stranraer top that is! Caught my eye because I'd never heard of Icis before. 

For me this is the best of our orange  kits. Was a real bright number, think we've had three to date. 

Two seasons with ICIS, from what I remember they were pretty well made. 

Yeah your right they were cracking quality. Good material and very comfortable. They manufactured the referee kit we had to use in the Northern Premier League back in the late 90s and most of the clubs in that league were wearing ICIS kits too.

• 3 weeks later...