Stranraer 2021-2022 - The Big 151

11 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I've no issue at all with the notion that a couple of media volunteers from the away club should be allowed. I think they should, especially at levels where not every clubs necessarily does film the games (they maybe all do now do they?). I don't actually like the agreement in the Championship. I'm not arguing in favour of it.

We're getting away from the point though. There's a world of difference between people actually going to do a job at a match (whether paid or not) and a guy who is spuriously claiming he earns a living doing random vlogs of Scottish football grounds using it as an excuse to carry on travelling around the country against all Govt advice / restrictions and actually being let in at some of them.

You seem to have a major problem. Instead of speculating on here would it not be better to ask the guy in question his protocols his justification and is it his job or not.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I've no issue at all with the notion that a couple of media volunteers from the away club should be allowed. I think they should, especially at levels where not every clubs necessarily does film the games (they maybe all do now do they?). I don't actually like the agreement in the Championship. I'm not arguing in favour of it.

We're getting away from the point though. There's a world of difference between people actually going to do a job at a match (whether paid or not) and a guy who is spuriously claiming he earns a living doing random vlogs of Scottish football grounds using it as an excuse to carry on travelling around the country against all Govt advice / restrictions and actually being let in at some of them.

Couple of great posts, personally I dont think the guy should be making trips at this time.  

With regards media access, I see nothing other than (imo misguided self interest) underpinning the Championship agreement.  A media rep can be present but cant commentate for the visiting team from the seat he/she is already in.

Similarly in the case if Inverness a videographer cant film from a non gantry position in a virtually empty stand. Instead they have to secure pixellot footage (despite Inverness also filming the game with a manual camera) 

Why I say misguided is that I would suggest the commentary access may be denied on the basis of away fans listening instead of watching. In my experience it works the other way.

My wife is in a zoom group of a dozen or so for watching games. If they get Raith TV commentary they buy the stream. If the reviews have been good from the home team then maybe 50% buy it if Raith TV dont commentate. For ICT, Alloa who have struggled at times then without Raith TV backup they dont/wont buy. Clubs like Inverness, Alloa and on their first outing Morton have had failed feeds, away commentary would have bought them a lot of goodwill while they fixed issues. 

My bigger issue with commentary is that older people, people working, people lacking in IT skills or on limited income were never going to buy the stream. Away club commentary keeps them attached to the game. Along with supporters well being clubs need this to avoid drift when it's time to renew season tickets. 

8 minutes ago, Blue1870 said:

You seem to have a major problem. Instead of speculating on here would it not be better to ask the guy in question his protocols his justification and is it his job or not.

I'm not interested in talking to him about it. You posted it on here, no point in taking offence if it's then questioned on here.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

31 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There's a world of difference between people actually going to do a job at a match (whether paid or not) and a guy who is spuriously claiming he earns a living doing random vlogs of Scottish football grounds using it as an excuse to carry on travelling around the country against all Govt advice / restrictions and actually being let in at some of them.

He's got over 10K subscribers, he probably makes enough considering he puts out up to 4 videos a week that can gain him anything from 5-20K views. I don't particularly like the videos he does, they can come across a bit patronising but I think a lot of the ire here comes from people feeling that doing Youtube "isn't a real job" but it's likely if he's self employed he got f**k all support from the government through lockdown and thus decided to keep doing videos. I do understand the travelling between tiers argument, but I'd suggest the risk of this guy passing on the virus is quite slim. 

On 09/12/2020 at 18:18, Skyline Drifter said:

Piece of absolute nonsense that. Whether its his"job" or not. its absolutely not essential travel for a guy from Tier 4 to be touring round stadoums in D&G. He turned up at QoS and Annan last week too. He didnt get inside at either. 

Is football essential? 
We could shut it down, starting with your stupid club! 

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

What age are you, like 10 or something? Dearie me. 😆

In fairness I agree with your point about travelling from one tier to another given the rules. 
What the boy was actually doing, I have no objection to. It’s open air, there are less than a handful of others involved. 
The club could be a bit more cute about how they’ve acted during covid to be honest. 
Not an easy task but some things could of easily been avoided by, keeping hush or staying away from cameras. 

Piece of absolute nonsense that. Whether its his"job" or not. its absolutely not essential travel for a guy from Tier 4 to be touring round stadoums in D&G. He turned up at QoS and Annan last week too. He didnt get inside at either. 

If it’s his main source of income then it is essential travel. What you’ll find is he’s sometimes even invited by these clubs despite the times we’re living in. Maybe not at QOS or Annan but he was for East Fife and (I think) Stranraer in recent weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Does Cameron Elliot have much potential, to you lads?

Came out decent when I got looking at last seasons League 1 strikers.

I think some fans rate him very highly. For me, he shows glimpses of what he can do. He looked really good when he came off the bench against Albion Rovers a fortnight ago, for example. However, on the flip side, seven goals in nearly 70 games is not great (although a decent chunk of those appearances will be from the bench). He has played as a winger and a striker at Stranraer and it seems uncertain what is his best position. He's 21 now and this is his fourth season at the club. I think he needs to add goals to his game, something I'm sure he would say as well.

“However Stranraer vice chairman Shaun Niven said last night: “We’ve always been open-minded about the proposal. We can see merit in it.

“We’d obviously want to see the proposal before we make a decision but we won’t go in with a closed view.

“We had an example a few years back where our biggest crowd of the entire season was for a youth league game against Celtic U19s on a wet Friday night. More than we got at any SPFL game that season.”

Couldn’t believe this when I read it.

It’s sad to think that instead being happy with those that choose or may choose to support Stranraer, we would rather attract the large number of glory hunters that we all know that live in the town. 

Edited by GallowayBlue

“However Stranraer vice chairman Shaun Niven said last night: “We’ve always been open-minded about the proposal. We can see merit in it.
“We’d obviously want to see the proposal before we make a decision but we won’t go in with a closed view.
“We had an example a few years back where our biggest crowd of the entire season was for a youth league game against Celtic U19s on a wet Friday night. More than we got at any SPFL game that season.”
Couldn’t believe this when I read it.

I said a lot more than that but as usually happens a lot of the conversation context gets cut out.
At no point did I say we would support it. We would want to see how that proposal benefitted SFC and Scottish football in general for us to consider supporting. That’s as far as I went

It’s sad to think that instead being happy with those that choose or may choose to support Stranraer, we would rather attract the large number of glory hunters that we all know that live in the town. 

I did not say that. Those are your words not mine and not representative of my comments or my opinion.

The broad point I was trying to make was that SFC have to embrace change however that is presented.
At the recent game with AR where we could sell tickets, after season tickets we sold less than 40. Typically it’s less the three figures after season tickets. The club won’t survive on that level of income and we have to be open to the possibility of other streams.
If 2 new clubs were to be admitted right now we have gone on record as stating that should be Kelty Hearts and Brora Rangers on merit as champions of their particular division.
There may be a time where more than 2 are proposed to be admitted. Who knows?

SFC are now in the bottom tier and are the poorest supported club in the SPFL. Not a great combination and change might someday be the best option for us. The long term survival and success of the club will always take precedence over my or anyone else’s personal view.

Ultimately for SFC to support any change and particularly this one we need firstly a club committee majority which isn’t a given and then for huge majority of the clubs to support it thereafter.

My point about crowd numbers was anecdotal but does relate to income. In my opinion there may come a time when the offer on the table will be too tempting for some clubs to refuse.
I don’t know whether that will be due to smaller clubs struggling or an increased sized bid from the bigger clubs. I don’t know any timescale. I don’t know how it will affect SFC until it is presented to us and I don’t know how the club committee will vote.

I can see it coming though and I believe it is wrong to dismiss any proposal or offer before considering it fully. As I said, open minded but considered enough to make the right decision without prejudice for the overall benefit of our club.

4 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

The broad point I was trying to make was that SFC have to embrace change however that is presented.
At the recent game with AR where we could sell tickets, after season tickets we sold less than 40. Typically it’s less the three figures after season tickets. The club won’t survive on that level of income and we have to be open to the possibility of other streams.
If 2 new clubs were to be admitted right now we have gone on record as stating that should be Kelty Hearts and Brora Rangers on merit as champions of their particular division.
There may be a time where more than 2 are proposed to be admitted. Who knows?

SFC are now in the bottom tier and are the poorest supported club in the SPFL. Not a great combination and change might someday be the best option for us. The long term survival and success of the club will always take precedence over my or anyone else’s personal view.

Ultimately for SFC to support any change and particularly this one we need firstly a club committee majority which isn’t a given and then for huge majority of the clubs to support it thereafter.

My point about crowd numbers was anecdotal but does relate to income. In my opinion there may come a time when the offer on the table will be too tempting for some clubs to refuse.
I don’t know whether that will be due to smaller clubs struggling or an increased sized bid from the bigger clubs. I don’t know any timescale. I don’t know how it will affect SFC until it is presented to us and I don’t know how the club committee will vote.

I can see it coming though and I believe it is wrong to dismiss any proposal or offer before considering it fully. As I said, open minded but considered enough to make the right decision without prejudice for the overall benefit of our club.

That is all very fair.

I suppose you would have to acknowledge that there are some people that would not support it under any circumstances.

I appreciate that you have a responsibility to do what you perceive to be the best for the future of Stranraer FC, regardless of your personal opinion.

Speaking only for myself, if the club was to vote in favour of such a proposal and it went through I would no longer be interested in watching League Two football.

I’m sure there are others like me.

My few hundred pounds a year built up over how ever many years may be worth less than what essentially amounts to a bribe though, so if it comes down to a business decision I suppose I wouldn’t be able to complain too loudly.

Edited by GallowayBlue