Stranraer 2021-2022 - The Big 151

Apparently WoSFL have told Cumnock to pull the plug on it - not sure why!

To give an update on this seems the reason was proper proecdure & protocol not being followed when applying to play a friendly with a distance of more than 25 miles. Linked twitter is that of the WOSFL fixture secretary.

I pointed out the daftness of a 25 mile rule to a mate with this scenario: Dunbar United could play Eyemouth in a friendly at Eyemouth. Eyemouth is around 20 miles from Dunbar so that's ok. But some Dunbar players come from Edinburgh and surrounding towns and the distance from Edinburgh to Eyemouth is actually 51 miles.

I would imagine Stranraer still have a lot of Glasgow players so for them to travel to Cumnock would actually be a shorter journey that going to take part in, say, a game between Stranraer and Newton Stewart at Stair Park. 

On 21/09/2020 at 17:12, gogsy said:

Question for the Stranraer fans, noticed  in the Scottish Referee periodical for 14/10/1907 that a new club had been formed called Stranraer United , the original Stranraer team being defunct. Did this new team become the Stranraer FC as we now know it and how was it linked to the original Stranraer team  that was formed in 1870?

In 1906 the formation of another senior club in the town, Dalrymple Harriers, almost brought about the end of Stranraer F.C. when the Stranraer players defected en masse to the new club and the Blues entered a period of inactivity. 

However, the Harriers lasted barely a season and the old club was re-established under the new title as Stranraer United although the suffix was soon dropped. 

From 'Senior Non League Football in South West Scotland' by Malcolm Pagan.

12 hours ago, Derry said:

Why is bsc game cancelled ?

Covid related or ?

God knows but, this is the third friendly in a week we've had cancelled. Now trying to arrange a friendly with Cumnock who we were due to play last week. 

Must be a real frustration for players and management. They did manage to get a game against Queen of The South on Thursday night but don't think anyone was supposed to know about that one. 

On 27/09/2020 at 14:15, stranraerfc1870 said:

In 1906 the formation of another senior club in the town, Dalrymple Harriers, almost brought about the end of Stranraer F.C. when the Stranraer players defected en masse to the new club and the Blues entered a period of inactivity. 

However, the Harriers lasted barely a season and the old club was re-established under the new title as Stranraer United although the suffix was soon dropped. 

From 'Senior Non League Football in South West Scotland' by Malcolm Pagan.

Heh, I wonder what the point of all that was.  Someone with money on an ego trip?

1 hour ago, Mattmc said:

I see a few of the WOS big boys have decided to withdraw from their league this season, notably Talbot.  Any scope to pick up a few players? 

Not that are squad is in desperate need of it.

I'd take another full back if there's anyone decent. Would imagine Faz will know many of the players available.

Tbh.., on the basis of the pre-season, and  the 2 games in the League Cup so far...

If nothing changes, this looks to me rather like a mid-table season ahead. 

Lots of the players have changed, but very much the same on display...

plenty of pressure, possession, but shots not being put away, plus defensive frailty.

Edited by beefybake