Budget Laptops

18 minutes ago, Mr X said:
1 hour ago, Thorongil said:
Unless you are a PC/Laptop gamer, why wouldn’t you buy a MacBook Air?
They are far superior machines and far better value than any mid range Windows laptop. 
They now have 18 hours of charge, exceptional retina displays, Touch ID and they have the M1 chip in which is greased lightning. Their SSDs are phenomenal and they wake instantly, every time.

And a mac OS

Mac OS is very good for general every day use. 

General help needed for me as well. My home laptop is getting slower and i need a new one that i can also use for work. I don't tend to do much more than surf and work on it as my work stuff is on a virtual desktop but having Office apps is really useful. Being a pain i'd like to try and have a dvd/ blu-ray drive as i tend to do bits of photo editing and take tihngs from old discs.
Seen a few Acers etc and had a look on the Dell website but unless i'm willing to spend 700+ then i'm struggling to see something that ticks all the boxes...any ideas?
It might be worth looking at sticking a ssd drive into your existing laptop. Can get a 500gb for around £35 at the moment and may significantly speed up your laptop, although if its really old it may need replacing.

• 10 months later...