Overrated movies

I am a BIG fan of Aliens and have both versions of the film. However since the release of the rest of the series it now feels, to me, out of place with the rest. The gungho attitude in the movie is very 1980s and doesn't click with the other films which are somewhat darker in perspective and more in keeping with the nihilistic aspect of Alien.

Has anyone seen Boyhood? That really was the most boring experience of my life. Controversial choice but Django was over rated. Was going great until inexplicably a serious movie just turned into everyone shooting everyone. It really shifted tone and just turned into a farce when it had potential to be great

This is not meant to wind people up but does anyone else find films are an awkward length of time or certainly some are. I think Lord of the RIngs as a story would be so much better suited to a TV series like Game of Thrones (which should have been several more series instead of rushing to the end) so that gaps in the story can be filled. Lord of the RIngs is unwatchable unless you have read the book. They just announce they are heading to random places and you have no idea what they are on about. 

To be fair to Tarantino, Death Proof was never meant to be a great film, just a fun project for himself and Robert Rodriguez. They wanted to recreate the experience of watching an old, scratchy print of some dodgy exploitation flick in a dingy grindhouse theater like the ones on 42nd Street in New York, which were all the rage when they were teenagers but had pretty much disappeared by the dawn of the new millennium. Rodriguez was obviously big on '80s Italian horror, while Tarantino's inspiration is spread a bit further, with definite nods to Russ Meyer and the characters even mention apeing Vanishing Point (as every Tarantino cypher has to be a film geek).

It's not a great film, but it has its moments. If Tarantino really wanted to recreate the cheap 'n' dirty exploitation experience, it could've done with being ninety minutes or less, but I don't think he's capable of the restraint necessary to pull that off. It's possibly the worst of his films for people who hate listening to him talk through his characters too. You could have lost most of the opening half, as it only exists to set up Stuntman Mike as an antagonist and is extremely tedious (IMO, YMMV, etc).

But Tarantino wouldn't care, as he had very specific ideas for this, aimed at a pretty niche audience. He was probably amazed that he was allowed to f**k about with it in the first place.

51 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

This is not meant to wind people up but does anyone else find films are an awkward length of time or certainly some are. I think Lord of the RIngs as a story would be so much better suited to a TV series like Game of Thrones (which should have been several more series instead of rushing to the end) so that gaps in the story can be filled. Lord of the RIngs is unwatchable unless you have read the book. They just announce they are heading to random places and you have no idea what they are on about. 

Interesting article about film lengths here, which pretty much sums up anything I was going to say on the matter!

1 hour ago, ScottishZizou said:

Lord of the RIngs is unwatchable unless you have read the book. They just announce they are heading to random places and you have no idea what they are on about. 

I never read the books but I loved the films when they came out, certainly had no problem following it. I got the DVDs, maybe watched them once, but over a couple of years I lost interest. Now when I see clips I think it's all a bit overblown and daft. Brilliantly made though.

3 hours ago, Gerald Elbowdent said:

12 Monkeys and Brazil. Havering, non-sensical pish for attention seeking, moustache wearing eccentric(in their words) hipsters.

The Usual Suspects and Se7ven. Movies whose reputations are based on having a big twist/reveal. Just a shame that the other 99% of the movie surrounding that tiny bit, is actually a bit average.

Surely any self-respecting hipster would prefer La Jetée to Twelve Monkeys?

9 hours ago, sfha said:

I am a BIG fan of Aliens and have both versions of the film. However since the release of the rest of the series it now feels, to me, out of place with the rest. The gungho attitude in the movie is very 1980s and doesn't click with the other films which are somewhat darker in perspective and more in keeping with the nihilistic aspect of Alien.

In Aliens they're repeatedly warned by Ripley but won't listen.

Their gung-ho attitude, and refusal to listen to Ripley, is shown up very quickly for the massive mistake it is. Likewise the corporate interests.

There's plenty of bleak moments in it too. 

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

In Aliens they're repeatedly warned by Ripley but won't listen.

Their gung-ho attitude, and refusal to listen to Ripley, is shown up very quickly for the massive mistake it is. Likewise the corporate interests.

There's plenty of bleak moments in it too. 

It's amazing how many people miss that; it's the whole point of the entire film. They made a whole (shit) video game that's supposedly an official canon sequel to Aliens, the entire focus of which is "Colonial Marines are badass!"

It's like the folk who love Scarface and wish they could be Tony Montana. It's a cautionary tale and he's the villain, you dipshits!

11 hours ago, ScottishZizou said:

Controversial choice but Django was over rated. Was going great until inexplicably a serious movie just turned into everyone shooting everyone. It really shifted tone and just turned into a farce when it had potential to be great

No I completely agree with this, when one famous actor shoots another instead of shaking his hand (trying not to spoiler despite the fact it came out in 2012) it really falls off a cliff. Had been gripping up until that point.

I also think that Inglorious Basterds was mainly superb but Brad Pitt and the Basterds are chronic (aside from the Basterds in the basement without Pitt). I also think Landa’s character was made very stupid to justify a blood bath at the end. It’s like there’s one sensible and taut film called Shoshanna’s revenge going on and another ridiculous and hammy one called the Inglourious Basterds (again, except for the basement scene which was first class).

Hateful Eight seemed like an intriguing whodunnit then everyone starts vomiting blood and it goes downhill.

I need to watch Once Upon a Time in Hollywood again to reassess the ending of that, but it was another descent into fantastical violence to resolve the plot. It’s a definite theme with Tarantino’s 21st century works. Although I would say that even accounting for all the parts which don’t work his films are far more interesting than most of the shit hollywood generally churns out, mainly about superheroes. 

As a final point, a film like Kill Bill will never be my cup of tea so I wouldn’t call it overrated because I’ll never like anything in the non-stop kung fu fighting and wafer thin characters milieu. 

I really, really liked OUATIH - more than any of his films since Pulp Fiction. Django could've been a great revenge western if it wrapped up 30/45 mins before it did. It didn't though and ultimately left a really bad taste in my mouth.

The first time I watched The Hateful Eight I got bored by everything after the time jump (maybe the poison part), but I watched it again last year and liked it more. It does lose its way but I just enjoyed spending a couple of hours in that cabin.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I can't be arsed with kung fu type films but still enjoyed the Kill Bills, so he must have done a good job, I reckon.

I liked the Kill Bills well enough, but bailed when our heroine tracks down the antagonist and he starts pontificating about how much he loves Superman.

If Tarantino did a remake of Driving Miss Daisy, the auld lady would probably have a scene where she rambles on about how much she'll love John Woo when he's born, all while ogling Uma Thurman's toes.

Edit: almost forgot when The Bride

Spoiler

meets her young daughter and watches Shogun Assassin with her  :lol:

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

2 minutes ago, Gerald Elbowdent said:

The definite ranking of Tarantino films is as follows

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. The Hateful Eight
4. Jackie Brown
5. Inglorious Basterds
6. Kill Bill
7. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
8. Kill Bill 2
9. Death Proof
10. Django Unchained

Don't @ me.

Only seen most of them one time (Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown are the exceptions) so...

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Jackie Brown
3. Resevoir Dogs
4. Django Unchained
5. Inglorious Basterds
6. The Hateful Eight
7. Kill Bill (taking them as one film)
8. Death Proof

Naw seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood yet

Weirdly enough with the exception of Death Proof (shite) and Pulp Fiction (amazing) I don't find there to be too much difference in enjoyment between most of them. They're all fairly solid.

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I liked the Kill Bills well enough, but bailed when our heroine tracks down the antagonist and he starts pontificating about how much he loves Superman.

If Tarantino did a remake of Driving Miss Daisy, the auld lady would probably have a scene where she rambles on about how much she'll love John Woo when he's born, all while ogling Uma Thurman's toes.

Edit: almost forgot when The Bride

Hide contents

meets her young daughter and watches Shogun Assassin with her  :lol:

That's pretty much the end! You only missed about 10 minutes or so, including the five point palm exploding heart technique.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

That's pretty much the end! You only missed about 10 minutes or so, including the five point palm exploding heart technique.

I bailed mentally; I was still physically present.

It was like QT had suddenly sat down in the seat next to me and said, "hey, f**k this film for a minute; did I ever tell you about my comic book collection?"

I think Fury Road is amazing for one watched then loses it's appeal second time round. It's got some incredible stunt work but nah. I still far prefer Road Warrior.