Overrated movies

Aye I can remember Blair Witch getting the "people fainting in the cinema!!" treatment but it was pretty meh. Wasn't it the first shaky cam film? I suppose it deserves credit for that genre then. It was ok but extremely over-rated IMO.

I think the Blair Witch thing was that the advertising managed to trick a lot of folk into thinking that it might be real, especially in America.

It hasn't aged well, but it was a pioneer. Cannibal Holocaust and The Last Broadcast were both better films. The original Blair Witch is still better than Blair Witch 2 or the recent sequel, however.

Every two weeks someone on Twitter posts something like “say what you will about Marvel movies but Endgame had some *brilliant* cinematography” accompanied with what looks like a desktop background from 2006

I really like Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and don’t necessarily think it doesn’t deserve its title as the hipster Star Wars movie of choice but having rewatched it recently and played Halo Reach it’s a worse version of that game.

Chris Nolan is fine at what he does but the veneration of him is the biggest indictment of modern society. More so maybe than Trump and Brexit.

4 hours ago, Detournement said:

Walking out the cinema after TFA I swore never to watch any subsequent Star Wars movies. I have seen the first 25 minutes of Rogue One and was impressed by the bit where the guy murders his mate because he can't climb. I refused to get drawn in though.

The Force Awakens was bland and an appalling remix, but I've seen much worse with the wife/wean.

It was The Last Jedi that put me off seeing any more Star Wars films, as it felt like the result of a bet to see how dull and poorly-scripted they could make a Star Wars film without affecting the box office figures. Still amazes me that it has defenders, whose argument seems to boil down to, "it's brilliant because you expected an exciting space opera action movie, and they subverted those expectations".

Also, Space Witch. Fucking Space Witch.

Just now, Detournement said:

I've never seen a Marvel movie, an X Men movie, any Fast and Furious. So I was quite shocked by how shite it was.

Is the idea that your quality control hasn't been affected by watching these films that you've decided are terrible, sight-unseen?

Do you have any other films you'd recommend are best not watched, just on the off-chance you end up liking Star Wars movies?  :lol:

7 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Is the idea that your quality control hasn't been affected by watching these films that you've decided are terrible, sight-unseen?

Do you have any other films you'd recommend are best not watched, just on the off-chance you end up liking Star Wars movies?  :lol:

That's exactly it. I've seen clips of them and they look horrendous. 

I'd say anything with the Rock or any of the three Chris actors will smooth your brain but there are obviously loads more.

Just now, Detournement said:

That's exactly it. I've seen clips of them and they look horrendous. 

I'd say anything with the Rock or any of the three Chris actors will smooth your brain but there are obviously loads more.

Just think how much your IQ has been lowered by exposure to the trailers!  :o

Are there only three dodgy Chrises? I'm struggling to think of a top-quality Chris. Perhaps it's just not a thespianic name.