Overrated movies

21 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

this to be added to the "proud Scotsman but...."., "I get on with everyone regardless of where they come from but......" etc

As for me, I hate musicals but secretly quite liked Moulin Rouge when it was put on. 

I watched Moulin Rouge with a crippling hangover/comedown.  

It's not advisable.  I ended up bawling like a baby. 

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

I watched Moulin Rouge with a crippling hangover/comedown.  

It's not advisable.  I ended up bawling like a baby. 

Give Tetsuo: The Iron Man a try next time, or pretty much anything by Gaspar Noe.

Nice smooth comedown, like having your brain massaged by kittens.

I had to video a school production of Grease when I was a teenager. Twice. I think I can safely put anything bad that's ever happened to me down to that experience.

Grease is very much one of those things beloved by ladies and the men who want to get into their pants.

I thought I’d enjoy Les Miserables because it looked amazing but the overwhelming feeling was “this would be much better if they were talking instead of singing about nicking bread”.

I did enjoy The Book of Mormon though. I think that worked for me because the whole thing was ridiculous so the fact that they were singing made it funny rather than jarring. I do appreciate that my inability to like any serious or semi-serious musical for what it is is my own disability so I try to avoid rating them at all.

15 hours ago, The OP said:

I did enjoy The Book of Mormon though. I think that worked for me because the whole thing was ridiculous so the fact that they were singing made it funny rather than jarring. I do appreciate that my inability to like any serious or semi-serious musical for what it is is my own disability so I try to avoid rating them at all.

That's the South Park boys again. They seem quite good at taking the piss out of the whole concept of musicals.

18 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I had to video a school production of Grease when I was a teenager. Twice. I think I can safely put anything bad that's ever happened to me down to that experience.

Grease is very much one of those things beloved by ladies and the men who want to get into their pants.

I have never, repeat never, been that desperate for a shag. Not that the type of woman to enjoy that garbage would be my ideal, anyway.*

For the record, my favourite musicals:

1. JCS

2. Oliver

3. Fiddler on The Roof

4. Cabaret.

5. er, that's about it. Certainly none in the last forty years.

*Or I hers, in all honesty.

8 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I'd imagine 2005 racism is almost nostalgic compared to 2020 racism.

I wouldn’t say racism has gotten worse since 2005, the opposite if anything. People just have cameraphones now.

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I have never, repeat never, been that desperate for a shag. Not that the type of woman to enjoy that garbage would be my ideal, anyway.*

Are you sure? I understand Liz Hurley loves a bit of Grease.

19 hours ago, The OP said:

I thought I’d enjoy Les Miserables because it looked amazing but the overwhelming feeling was “this would be much better if they were talking instead of singing about nicking bread”.

On 21/02/2020 at 00:39, Stevieda said:

I've officially stopped watching now. May come back and watch once its finished but cant take anymore.

I can vaguely remember a non musical version being shown on telly about 50 years ago

Grease is probably my least favourite film of all time.

On my first holiday abroad when I was 5 my mum and dad signed me into one of those kids clubs. There was a night when all the adults were getting pished and the kids club organised a "movie night". Basically, I ended up stuck in a room for 2 hours with a bunch of arseholes and was made to watch Grease.

I still hold that against my parents to this day.

On 17/06/2020 at 20:41, Ron Aldo said:

Grease is probably my least favourite film of all time.

On my first holiday abroad when I was 5 my mum and dad signed me into one of those kids clubs. There was a night when all the adults were getting pished and the kids club organised a "movie night". Basically, I ended up stuck in a room for 2 hours with a bunch of arseholes and was made to watch Grease.

I still hold that against my parents to this day.

Could have been worse.

They could have left you alone in a hotel room while they had some tapas

• 3 months later...
On 07/06/2020 at 20:34, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I saw a terrible quality Video CD version before it was released here. It had been leaked by the directors, who knew even by that point that pirate versions would find their way out no matter what they did, so prepared an edit that missed out a scene towards the beginning, the absence of which makes the end incomprehensible. The dreadful picture quality, combined with not knowing that small piece of information, made it pretty creepy viewing; better than the actual release IMO. It's a bit anaemic compared to the glut of found-footage films that came out in its wake (although, oddly, people didn't really jump on the bandwagon until years later), but it felt uncomfortably convincing at the time. I spent a few days paranoid that I'd walk into a room and find someone facing the wall in the corner.

Cannibal Holocaust gets the credit now for inventing the genre, although no doubt there'll be some other films that did it before then, but there's also a decent wee film called The Last Broadcast that came out years before Blair Witch and did the faux-documentary found-footage thing. It also included a neat shocking narrative twist that I can't remember seeing elsewhere...don't want to give away more than that, but it's very worthwhile, despite fumbling the ball badly at the end.

The Last Broadcast is amazing. Brilliant twist.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember everyone banging on about The Blair Witch Project and a girl at work said she was terrified at the cinema watching it.

I just thought it was 90 minutes of bugger all happening.

Also watched La La Land with my Missus. The worst film of all time. Two people that are really annoying and like jazz. I wanted them both to die. After about what felt like days, I went to the loo and played pool on my phone for about 25 minutes and when I went back into the screening, the end credits were rolling [emoji120]