Overrated movies

Has anyone watched the monochrome version of Fury Road? Apparently director George Miller originally wanted to shoot it in black & white for some reason, and eventually the studio released some kind of director's cut version that included it.

Just curious as it strikes me as such an odd idea for a big action car chase film. I'm not sure what would be gained.

Quite a few of mine have already been mentioned on the thread. And I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting but anyway, here we go, In no particular order:

Aye, the special effects / 3D were good but once the novelty of that had worn off (after about 5 minutes) there was little else to it.

The Tree of Life
One of the very few films where I've walked out of the cinema before the end. Seriously contemplated chewing my own head off.

American Hustle
Definitely a disappointment after everything I'd heard about it. And this coming from a guy who's been in love with Amy Adams for a long, long time.

Gravity
Never been a Sandra Bullock fan but after her Oscar nomination for this, I decided to give it a go. May have been better on a cinema screen than my television but Hayseus Crispie, I was desperately hoping for a tragic explosion. And even looking past the horror of La Bullock now having "Oscar Winner" AND "Oscar nominee" next to her name for the rest of time, this was nominated for 6 other Oscars too.

The Hurt Locker
Renegade hotshot takes unnecessary risks and puts his colleagues at risk but nothing really happens in the end. Oooh, groundbreaking stuff.

Gladiator
Got an Oscar nod for the special effects, which I thought were particularly not all that great.

Forrest Gump
I'll accept I was biased about this film before I saw it as so many prominent Republicans were raving about how it represented conservative values. Aye, if you're a good person you'll be rewarded by fantasy and magic.

Braveheart
Just f**k off with that shit.

Anything, and I do mean anything by Woody Allen.
For the longest time I thought that if I just kept watching his films, I'll eventually figure out what the fuss is all about. I finally gave up on him and then felt quite smug when shortly afterwards, the word got out about what a creepy little shit of a man he is.

I hadn't realised how many of Tarantino's films I haven't seen, so I should work on that. I'm a fan but acknowledge some of his films aren't as good as a lot of people think. Even when watching Pulp Fiction, one of my all-time favourites, I tend to fast-forward through the sections with Butch's annoying wife.

Edited by Shotgun

On 06/06/2020 at 15:48, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Long, rambling, opinionated list of films. Very tedious. Probably best skipped.

Hide contents

32. - It's a Wonderful Life. Clearly I have a heart of stone. Never has a film more needed a nihilistic ending.

BigFatTabbyDave, if you ever speak ill of It's a Wonderful Life in my presence again, I will end you. I will f**k you up. I will have no qualms with sticking you. I will equalise you, motherfucker!!!

It's a Wonderful Life is perfect and I will not hear otherwise.

The Wolf of Wall Street, on the other hand, is vastly overrated. The acting generally is very good, but it's just so, so, so fucking long.

4 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Quite a few of mine have already been mentioned on the thread. And I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting but anyway, here we go, In no particular order:

The Hurt Locker

Renegade hotshot takes unnecessary risks and puts his colleagues at risk but nothing really happens in the end. Oooh, groundbreaking stuff.

Was this well rated? It might be one of the most rote, dumb by the numbers films I've seen and its not helped by Jeremy Renner being a horrendous actor

Just now, Doctor said:

Was this well rated? It might be one of the most rote, dumb by the numbers films I've seen and its not helped by Jeremy Renner being a horrendous actor

It won Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and three others. Jeremy Renner was nominated for Best Actor.

I'd love to see your face right now.

I mean Best Picture winners are usually great for pointing out when a movie is over-rated, just skimming through the list the most recent film which I properly adored and would say it deserved it without question was Forrest Gump.

You Were Never Really Here

Though I was going to love this, given the reviews, who stars in it and who directed it. Just found it frustrating and that it could have worked better as a straightforward thriller, rather than all the "is it real or is it a hallucination?" stuff. Save yourself the bother and watch Blue Ruin instead. 

2 hours ago, Doctor said:

I mean Best Picture winners are usually great for pointing out when a movie is over-rated, just skimming through the list the most recent film which I properly adored and would say it deserved it without question was Forrest Gump.

I've just done the same and I have to say that four of the last seven BP winners were cracking films. I haven't, to my shame, seen Moonlight or Parasite as yet, but Birdman was, imho, tedious crap. As someone said of Avatar above, once you get past the USP ("it looks like one continuous shot!") there wasn't a lot left.

I'm just off to see if any of the four I rate beat a better film to the prize.

12 Years a Slave - Could make an argument for Dallas Buyers Club, and Wolf of wall Street was a BIG movie, just unfortunately a very long one as well. Winner stays.

Birdman - Jeebus, this beat Grand Budapest Hotel, Selma AND The Imitation Game. Sorry, but that's fúcked up.

Spotlight - I wouldn't have quibbled if The Revenant, Bridge of Spies, the Martian or especially the Big Short had scooped this. Hell, even Room had a good shout for its unconvential style. Overall, though, Spotlight was brave, well-paced and reminded us, after Birdman, that Michael Keaton is a rather fine actor when he puts his mind to it.

Moonlight - As admitted previously, not seen this one. Hacksaw ridge was a cracking war movie with one big problem*, Manchester by the Sea was a gripping watch if not a barrel of laughs, and Hidden Figures was, imho, criminally overlooked - too female and too black, I'm thinking, but my favourite from the shortlist. La La Land? Fúck off.

The Shape of Water - a very  strong year, where I think the ones which had a chance weren't the ones I enjoyed. Darkest Hour was revisionist crap - Churchill on a tube? He never got that close to commoners. Dunkirk was a cracking film but its focus on small stories inside the big picture meant that someone unfamiliar with the history could find it confusing.** Get Out was a great one-time watch, as long as nobody spoilt it for you. Lady Bird was a strong film from the early getting out of the car shot, and Three Billboards was just sublime. Frances mcDormand fully deserved her Oscar in what, for me, was the only real challenger for the big one.

Green Book - Blackkklansman was fairly pedestrian for me, given the subject matter. Bohemian Rhapsody - just not as good as the hype. The Favourite - Olivia Colman is so, so much better than this - not bad, but oscar-worthy? nah. A Star is Born - enjoyable, but lightweight, and a reboot to boot. Winner retains.

Parasite - again, not seen this. A pretty damn strong shortlist, though, with Jojo Rabbit and The Irishman being particular favourites of mine. Joker ws good as well, Ford Vs Ferrari was edge-of-the-seat entertaining and OUATIH was standard QT stuff - no great shocks, just a well-directed game of "spot the references/hommages/in-jokes". 1917 was extremely well-executed, but I couldn't be the only one struggling to separate George McKay from his character in Pride. I just couldn't believe Bromley had it in him to be a hero! In betting without Parasite, I'd give it to Jojo by a short head, simply because having Adolf as an imaginary friend shows more originality than having DeNiro, Pesci and Pacino in another Gangster movie directed by Marty, no matter how enjoyable.

* How did that rope ladder get up the cliff to start with?

** Although even Mrs WRK, not known for her interest in WWII aviation, thought that Hardy's Spitfire must have come from the same factory as John Wayne's gun. That was some glidepath!

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

3 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I've just done the same and I have to say that four of the last seven BP winners were cracking films. I haven't, to my shame, seen Moonlight or Parasite as yet, but Birdman was, imho, tedious crap. As someone said of Avatar above, once you get past the USP ("it looks like one continuous shot!") there wasn't a lot left.

I'm just off to see if any of the four I rate beat a better film to the prize.

12 Years a Slave - Could make an argument for Dallas Buyers Club, and Wolf of wall Street was a BIG movie, just unfortunately a very long one as well. Winner stays.

Birdman - Jeebus, this beat Grand Budapest Hotel, Selma AND The Imitation Game. Sorry, but that's fúcked up.

Spotlight - I wouldn't have quibbled if The Revenant, Bridge of Spies, the Martian or especially the Big Short had scooped this. Hell, even Room had a good shout for its unconvential style. Overall, though, Spotlight was brave, well-paced and reminded us, after Birdman, that Michael Keaton is a rather fine actor when he puts his mind to it.

Moonlight - As admitted previously, not seen this one. Hacksaw ridge was a cracking war movie with one big problem*, Manchester by the Sea was a gripping watch if not a barrel of laughs, and Hidden Figures was, imho, criminally overlooked - too female and too black, I'm thinking, but my favourite from the shortlist. La La Land? Fúck off.

The Shape of Water - a very  strong year, where I think the ones which had a chance weren't the ones I enjoyed. Darkest Hour was revisionist crap - Churchill on a tube? He never got that close to commoners. Dunkirk was a cracking film but its focus on small stories inside the big picture meant that someone unfamiliar with the history could find it confusing.** Get Out was a great one-time watch, as long as nobody spoilt it for you. Lady Bird was a strong film from the early getting out of the car shot, and Three Billboards was just sublime. Frances mcDormand fully deserved her Oscar in what, for me, was the only real challenger for the big one.

Green Book - Blackkklansman was fairly pedestrian for me, given the subject matter. Bohemian Rhapsody - just not as good as the hype. The Favourite - Olivia Colman is so, so much better than this - not bad, but oscar-worthy? nah. A Star is Born - enjoyable, but lightweight, and a reboot to boot. Winner retains.

Parasite - again, not seen this. A pretty damn strong shortlist, though, with Jojo Rabbit and The Irishman being particular favourites of mine. Joker ws good as well, Ford Vs Ferrari was edge-of-the-seat entertaining and OUATIH was standard QT stuff - no great shocks, just a well-directed game of "spot the references/hommages/in-jokes". 1917 was extremely well-executed, but I couldn't be the only one struggling to separate George McKay from his character in Pride. I just couldn't believe Bromley had it in him to be a hero! In betting without Parasite, I'd give it to Jojo by a short head, simply because having Adolf as an imaginary friend shows more originality than having DeNiro, Pesci and Pacino in another Gangster movie directed by Marty, no matter how enjoyable.

If you think BacKKKlansman was pedestrian then get ready for a snooze at Moonlight. Thought it was truly special but could also see how it would be too slow for some. I saw BlacKK,,,,, in the cinema and it was probably the most powerful emotions I've seen at the cinema. Everyone was just sitting sobbing at the end. Maybe the big screen makes it more powerful. Quite liked Green Book but thought it was fluff compared to Spike Lee's effort. 

10 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

If you think BacKKKlansman was pedestrian then get ready for a snooze at Moonlight. Thought it was truly special but could also see how it would be too slow for some. I saw BlacKK,,,,, in the cinema and it was probably the most powerful emotions I've seen at the cinema. Everyone was just sitting sobbing at the end. Maybe the big screen makes it more powerful. Quite liked Green Book but thought it was fluff compared to Spike Lee's effort. 

I like Spike's joints, but this one just didn't get the most out of the central premise for me. That's not to say i didn't enjoy it. Have you seen his new effort - Da 5 Bloods? On Netfix atm.

I watched BlackKklansman again a couple of days ago. This might sound daft but watching it while there are huge race protests around the world made me appreciate it a lot more. I also think I just liked its basics more this time around too.

15 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I like Spike's joints, but this one just didn't get the most out of the central premise for me. That's not to say i didn't enjoy it. Have you seen his new effort - Da 5 Bloods? On Netfix atm.

Hopefully catch that this week some time. Running time puts me off though. Struggle to stay awake for that long watching stuff on the sofa. 

5 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I watched BlackKklansman again a couple of days ago. This might sound daft but watching it while there are huge race protests around the world made me appreciate it a lot more. I also think I just liked its basics more this time around too.

I watched Do The Right Thing a few months back. Must have watched it dozens of times as a kid. Without plot spoiling, it's another that's still sadly relevant today. 

I watched Do The Right Thing a few months back. Must have watched it dozens of times as a kid. Without plot spoiling, it's another that's still sadly relevant today. 
I've wanted to see it but couldn't find it on the main streaming platforms. Chi-Raq (a stylish mess) and She's Gotta Have It (really good takedown of masculinity and championing of femininity) were the only other Spike Lee films I could see. I'll probably watch Da 5 Bloods soon.

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I've wanted to see it but couldn't find it on the main streaming platforms. Chi-Raq (a stylish mess) and She's Gotta Have It (really good takedown of masculinity and championing of femininity) were the only other Spike Lee films I could see. I'll probably watch Da 5 Bloods soon.

Might be on Amazon? It's a good companion to She's Gotta Have It. 

5 hours ago, Doctor said:

I think this is one of the better reviews of The Hurt Locker I've seen but yes, as the esteemed Mr Tabby pointed out; it was highly rated by many. In addition to the awards he lists; it received a 97% Tomatometer and 84% Audience Score on Rottentomatoes.com.

22 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

It's on Amazon for £3.49 HD, £2.49 SD. Think I saw it and She's Gotta Have it back to back when they first came out, time for another go. Bit like Bill Forsyth, liked his films more when he was working on a shoe string.

5 hours ago, Doctor said:

Aye, you're at it now  :lol:

5 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I think pretty much every BP winner since Argo (which was still good) has been really great. Green Book was the only one I didn't like.

Argo tends to get a lot of flack but I enjoyed it. Best Picture though? Nah, maybe not.

Its lack of historically accuracy seems to be the biggest complaint although I don't recall any of the filmmakers claiming that it was an exact record.  Personally, I'm not sure why people have that expectation of 'based on a true story' films, particularly when it seems to be selectively applied. I'm pretty certain none of the 'classic' World War II extravaganzas John Wayne was cranking out in the 40's, 50's and 60's worried overly much about getting their historic details correct. 

Having said that; the real story of Argo is strong enough that it could've been a great film without much revisionism at all.

Edited by Shotgun
b*****d apostrophe snuck in where it wasn't wanted.