Overrated movies

10 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Remember that film Sin City based on a comic where it was all very harsh black and white lighting? Everyone went mad for that but I always thought it was supremely silly and not very well written.

It's a film that's all style over substance. 

Both Blade Runner films. Looks great, sound great but so chronically boring. I'd say the newer one is marginally better but only because I've managed to not fall asleep an hour before the end of that one.

Harry Potter films are good but massively over rated.

Avatar is guff. Should have been named "Dances with Smurfs" ala South Park.

All the Avengers / Marvel films are absolutely overrated. Decent action but generally its rinse and repeat with plots.

I'm going to get flack for this but the Back to The Future films are OK but I don't get why they're almost scared to some folk. 

I liked Mad Max Fury Road. Solid action film but no danger is it in the top 50 never mind top 25 best movies ever made.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

Get Out is one of the greatest films of all time, in the sense that it’s an original take on a controversial subject. It’s tense, funny, looks great, superbly acted and there’s a great soundtrack to it too.  And there’s basically been about 2 reviews ever saying it wasn’t brilliant.

I think Kaluuya should’ve got a statue along with Peele.

Its a fantastic film.

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Get Out is incredibly watchable IMO. There are tonnes of clever visual things and the script almost plays as a whodunnit/mystery with its foreshadowing. I love its portrayal of racism too - it really captures a certain generation's progressive discrimination.

Yes I watched that. It was strange but quite good. 

I stand by the aliens comment the entire film is daft.
Ridley is telling them it's too dangerous, why not send the ship along with the sentry guns and the cyborg first?
Nah let's just chance it and not bother with all the technology we have.
A bunch of ex cons in alien 3 with hardly any weapons deal with it better than highly trained marines with someone who already knows all about the aliens.
It's a good film but it's not in the same league as alien, which is one of the best films ever made.

Mrs. RN#2 used to rave about The Fisher King.
I watched it and thought it was awful, boring and pretentious.

Btw that’s not why she’s no longer here (just incase anyone wondered) [emoji38][emoji6]

On 07/06/2020 at 20:12, D.A.F.C said:

In reverse I thought that the Blair witch project was superb and I didn’t get the criticism. Found it genuinely terrifying and I think it was the first ‘found footage’ film as well. It can’t be bad if it inspired a whole genre.

I think you will find that was actually Cannibal Holocaust, about 20 years before BWP from whom it totally ripped off the concept and didn't even do it well.

2 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:
3 hours ago, Twinkle said:
Having rewatched Reservoir Dogs again at the weekend, ive decided it deserves a place in here. Not even in QTs top 5 films despite having a banging soundtrack

Wrong, Reservoir Dogs is his best film.

You spelled Jackie Brown* incorrectly.

*Underrated movies thread for this pish

5 minutes ago, The OP said:

You spelled Jackie Brown* incorrectly.

*Underrated movies thread for this pish

First time I watched Jackie Brown I absolutely hated it.  I'd now be inclined to agree that it's one of, if not the best of his films.

On 06/06/2020 at 14:06, Mark Connolly said:

I don't get the hype over Tarantino's films tbh.

They're decent enough, but vast parts of quite a few of them are boring as f**k

I find the best bits of Tarantino's films are often the bits which would work just as well on stage - plenty of scenes involving Christoph Waltz in Django and Basterds, most of the Hateful Eight and even a few in Pulp Fiction (Big Kahuna, anyone?).

Still fucking love his movies for the most part, mind.

Over-rated? Star Wars*, Star Trek**, and Comic Book "franchises"***

* The original was a rip-off of "the Searchers" with spaceships, and I've seen nothing to suggest things have improved.

** If Steptoe and Porridge taught us nothing else, they showed that TV is TV, and film is film. And that's before I get to the endless pointless extensions to what was an entertining way to spend an hour (when I was seven or eight).

*** They just take themselves so fucking seriously. They're based on comics,ffs. Done well, a la Deadpool or Guardians of the Galaxy, they're a decent way to spend a couple of hours. Asking you to invest in some "universe" which is full of superheroes, but only the ones from a specific publisher? Na, ye're alright.

On 06/06/2020 at 17:34, Bert Raccoon said:

I know it seems to be something of a sacred cow if you were born in the 80s but I'm not a big fan of The Goonies.

Hadn't watched it until recently - grown-up me wasn't over-impressed, and I'm fairly sure teenage me wouldn't have been either.

37 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

First time I watched Jackie Brown I absolutely hated it.  I'd now be inclined to agree that it's one of, if not the best of his films.

Yeah I’d say it’s the most grown up of them all and most of his recent outings have been full of good stuff but marred by daft bloodbath endings (Django, Inglourious, Hateful Eight and Once Upon A Time). I would acknowledge Pulp Fiction is possibly better than Jackie Brown overall for me but I’ve over-watched it.

The only two/three I’ve not particularly liked at all were the Kill Bills and Death Proof. 

On 08/06/2020 at 11:27, DA Baracus said:

I am in agreement here. Scarface isn't bad, but definitely supremely overhyped. Goodfellas is absolutely immense.

Some more concurrence! They're both decent, even good films, but I don't see them as the total masterpieces they are held as.

A prime hipster opinion is to prefer Alien 3. Alien 3 is a deeply average film.

Return of the Jedi is not a remake of A New Hope. A bizarre opinion. Have you actually seen it?

Fight Club is ace.

I share this. Don't like it at all but it's held up to be some cultural treasure of the 80s.

Blade Runner is another film that is good but nowhere near the level of hype it gets. The sequel is far superior in all ways.

Nonsense. There's plenty of story there.

Blair Witch Project is fucking gash. An atrocious film.

Get Out was predictable? You predicted that they were targeting black people, luring them in using fake relationships, then hyptonised them so that they would have a trigger that renders them helpless as their bodies are stolen by rich white folk?

That's some prediction.

Get Out was an absolutely superb watch as long as you got in quick. Once a few mates had seen it, they would firstly tell you what a great film they thought it was, and then - they'd tell you why. Not always on purpose, but any review had to at least nod towards the direction it was taking. I've had it sitting on my BT box for a few months since it was on council telly, and I haven't re-watched it simply because I know what's coming, and I think that would detract massively from my enjoyment. Unlike Dusk Til Dawn - I know exactly what's coming, and it never gets old. Best cinema experiences number forty-three - watching DTD with someone who's never heard of it.

19 minutes ago, The OP said:

Yeah I’d say it’s the most grown up of them all and most of his recent outings have been full of good stuff but marred by daft bloodbath endings (Django, Inglourious, Hateful Eight and Once Upon A Time). I would acknowledge Pulp Fiction is possibly better than Jackie Brown overall for me but I’ve over-watched it.

The only two/three I’ve not particularly liked at all were the Kill Bills and Death Proof. 

I love the KB films, but Death Proof is shite.

I read something that made a good point about Jackie Brown in that it's the only one of his films that's not based on his own original material, which is maybe why it's a bit tighter than some of his own stuff.