Colt team proposal

41 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They did play some young players during "the journey". Most of them were absolutely shite and are still kicking about at this level or below.

But I thought this idea would improve the national team, I’ve heard that many a time. 

The only people that think this is a good idea are, funnily enough, Rangers and Celtic fans.

33 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I think it would be worse than that, those two clubs will demand success at the highest level they can achieve which is to win the Championship title,  both clubs will once in will get into an arms race with each other and bring in young players from outside Scotland pacifically to play in those teams, they can't help themselves, non of this will be of any benefit to bringing through young Scottish players, plus both clubs will bring their baggage with them to grounds at that level. Anyone thinking that colts entering the SPFL will benefit Scottish football is deluding themselves, don't think that the current standard of these two colt teams will stay the same as it is now, it won't.

I generally agree with your point but I'm not convinced that they will bring "baggage" to the grounds as it's far more likely that they would bring virtually no fans at all barring a few die hards or locals without the bus fare to Glasgow. The crowds for Challenge cup games involving B teams have been notoriously small.

I reckon most OF fans outside Glasgow are gloryhunters who want to see big name players. How many of them are interested in youth development? Montrose played a Rangers reserve team in a friendly back in the 90s. There was Montrose based "bears" asking for their money back when they didn't recognise any players.

No point in blaming the Gruesome Twosome for this garbage rearing its head yet again. The minute Doncaster started hawking himself around Premier League clubs last week  more or less asking them to name their price for agreement to a 14-team top division, this was utterly inevitable. What was he expecting them to request? He gave them an open goal and they have not missed. If there is one thing he should have learned from his wanton destruction of the Challenge Cup it's that there is no appetite whatsoever for this amongst the clubs who will be most affected, hence the advance payment caveats. No chance in hell this will pass, but more weeks will now be wasted on "robust conversations" trying to get it through.  £297k basic plus a £91k performance bonus for this. Outstanding.

Dutch fans have the equivalent of Colt teams in their league set up and they fucking despise it and say it ruined lower league football there.

If they get in that's it. Scottish football is finished and should rename every league.

Ranger and celtic premiership
Rangers and celtic championship
Rangers and celtic League 1
Rangers and Celtic league 2

9 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Back in the days of C Division South-West and North-East International calibre players were coming through so fast Scotland had a "B" team...

The only Colts proposal I heard which I thought sounded interesting was doing what they do in Singapore (I think).  They have a league with an odd number of teams and in the week where one team as no game, the best U21 players who haven't been selected for their club's matchday squads play for Team Singapore in a friendly against the left-over team.

Don't know if there'd be much of an appetite for that here, but it's the only Colts proposal I would consider in Scotland.

Edited by Highland Capital

50 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

The only Cots proposal I heard which I thought sounded interesting was doing what they do in Singapore (I think).  They have a league with an odd number of teams and in the week where one team as no game, the best U21 players who haven't been selected for their club's matchday squads play for Team Singapore in a friendly against the left-over team.

Don't know if there'd be much of an appetite for that here, but it's the only Colts proposal I would consider in Scotland.

Must be feckin young if they're in cots.🤔

On the face of it, £125k upfront sounds like a lot.
If it is split between the 16 other third tier clubs that would be around £7800. 
200 tickets at £15 a pop four times per season would be a further £12,000.
So clubs in the third tier stand to make around £20,000 extra in the first season. Less in subsequent seasons.
Will clubs be able to say no to that?
On a personal level, if my club supports it and it goes through they won’t see a penny of my money again.

But offset by extra policing costs and no doubt cost of repairing extra vandalism given the record the fans of those clubs have.

It is never going to happen thank fcuk. How many times now has it reared its head and been shot down already? Remember the last time club were inundated with threats from their own fans if their clubs accepted any proposals concerning colt teams. The best way to deal with this was fan power and i am sure will be again.

8 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

But offset by extra policing costs and no doubt cost of repairing extra vandalism given the record the fans of those clubs have.

No one goes, it won't happen. It should be nipped in the bud for a variety of reasons  but supporters behaviour is the least of them.

I think it would be worse than that, those two clubs will demand success at the highest level they can achieve which is to win the Championship title,  both clubs will once in will get into an arms race with each other and bring in young players from outside Scotland pacifically to play in those teams, they can't help themselves, non of this will be of any benefit to bringing through young Scottish players, plus both clubs will bring their baggage with them to grounds at that level. Anyone thinking that colts entering the SPFL will benefit Scottish football is deluding themselves, don't think that the current standard of these two colt teams will stay the same as it is now, it won't.
And once ensconced in the Championship, watch the big arsecheeks start agitating for a move to England again, leaving the "B" team to become the "A" team and get promoted to the top league. Rinse, repeat.