Colt team proposal

On 11/05/2021 at 14:10, roman_bairn said:

I haven’t really read through the proposal yet so can someone advise what happens re promotion next season if one of the old firm colts finish top of the Lowland league next season?
Is there anything in writing to say that they cannot be promoted via play offs into League 2?
Once one of them are in, of course, it’s only natural that the other club joins them....

Chairman Fraser said on Radio Scotland last night that the highest-placed non-colts side would be put forward by the LL for the play offs.

11 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Chairman Fraser said on Radio Scotland last night that the highest-placed non-colts side would be put forward by the LL for the play offs.

The hypocrisy in this is that if the tier 6 leagues have eligible teams finishing as runners up while the champions aren't eligible, those 2nd placed teams don't get the chance of promotion and instead the bottom placed LL team gets a reprieve...

12 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

So basically having two teams in the league where matches against them are basically meaningless, but will still count towards suspensions, possibly contribute to injuries, etc etc.

Gee, what a great idea.

11 minutes ago, forameus said:

So basically having two teams in the league where matches against them are basically meaningless, but will still count towards suspensions, possibly contribute to injuries, etc etc.

Gee, what a great idea.

It doesn't look like they're meaningless. It's looking like the 12 points up for grabs against them will count to the final standings. Which means it has the potential to play a part in deciding the participant in the SPFL2 Play-off.

Not only could you have a paper champion finishing behind the OF Colts. They could only be there because of an extra point or better goal difference won against the OF Colts.

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I actually expect Rangers and Celtic to make their colt sides quite strong here. They'll be looking to absolutely piss the Lowland league, have both of them finishing first and second, then they can start the argument that the LL doesn't offer a high enough standard and the colts should move into League 2. 

I could not despise these Lowland League teams more for letting that foot in the door. It's utterly shameful some of the back patting they're doing right now. 

That's basically my take on it. It further justifies the position on the field as being deserving a place in the SPFL and they'll be hoping the crowds turn up in decent enough numbers to sway some of the lower league SPFL sides to show their fans will not be a deterrent. That way when they throw their money at them again it should be enough to tempt them across.

Let's face it. If Kelty go up they'll fancy taking 6 points from the bottom half of the LL and being competitive enough with the top half it would result in a title challenge for much of the season. Which gives them months to shill themselves to the SPFL.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It doesn't look like they're meaningless. It's looking like the 12 points up for grabs against them will count to the final standings. Which means it has the potential to play a part in deciding the participant in the SPFL2 Play-off.

Not only could you have a paper champion finishing behind the OF Colts. They could only be there because of an extra point or better goal difference won against the OF Colts.

Yeah, got to be honest, I've dived in two-footed there, whilst the guy in the Colt jersey is 50 yards down the touchline.  Riddy.

The paper champion bit is probably more apt.  Say, like Moonster suggests and you agree with, that the Old Firm really focus on it and absolutely body the league, going unbeaten or something outside of matches against each other.  They then going to put forward a "champion" for the pyramid playoffs that finished something like 20 points behind the "actual champion"?  Could even get the case, like you say, that the rest of the Lowland League really bunches together and it's a tight battle between a few teams.  3rd and 4th separated effectively because the combined Colts only put 8 past them and not 9.  Some competition.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I actually expect Rangers and Celtic to make their colt sides quite strong here. They'll be looking to absolutely piss the Lowland league, have both of them finishing first and second, then they can start the argument that the LL doesn't offer a high enough standard and the colts should move into League 2. 

I could not despise these Lowland League teams more for letting that foot in the door. It's utterly shameful some of the back patting they're doing right now. 

Quite (strong) being the operative word here. Looking at the current Rangers B Team  Rangers Academy Wiki assuming they don't go on a mad spending (hoarding) spree on the back of this development that team would lift and shift right into the LL as per the rules set out.

Name a minimum 22 man squad in advance - 25 listed in the B Team

Born 2000 or after except a GK - all current team match (Keiran Wright is 1999) 

Mostly Scottish - 19 Scots, 2 NI, 2 English, 1 Aussie, I Yank.

As far as I can see most of that team are currently out on loan at a mix of Championship, L1 and L2 teams.

Some will barely have played or just not made the cut, but assuming they are loaned at the right level currently you woudl be safe to assume, playing together each week with a decent coach they would be competing top half of the LL easily,

Time will tell.  I dont want to see Scottish potential talent fail, but I do hope the "experiment" fails.

Edited by Dylangt7

On 13/05/2021 at 10:11, FairWeatherFan said:

We are of course assuming that the Colt teams field a full strength team for each match.  It is known that the OF like to have their youth teams take part in various glamorous overseas youth tournaments, if this happens during the main part of the season, do they forfeit the Lowland League match, play a second string youth team or what?  If that could influence final league standings I would say that it is another unfair influence that their presence would have. 

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Absolutely fed up with this. How many attempts has there been to force this through? Hope it gets blocked again. 

Nobody wants them. 

Fairly convinced this is the strategy. Keep going on about colts and eventually wear every single one of us down where we stop emailing our club chairmen for worry of filling their inbox with the same "vote this down" email every month. 

Make them play a minimum of four U21s in their first XI (not just have them in the squad).

After all, it's for the benefit of the national team.

Then after 5 years we can discuss letting them into League Two then tell them to f**k off.

33 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

To win over enough of the lower league teams they're also suggesting no relegation from the SPFL for a couple of seasons by the looks of it.

The lowland league didn’t do the pyramid any justice letting them in but this would completely undermine the whole point of it. 

55 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

To win over enough of the lower league teams they're also suggesting no relegation from the SPFL for a couple of seasons by the looks of it.

Potentially mean no relegation from several divisions for several years...?!

E.g.

2021-22     no relegation from Championship + SPFL1
2022-23     no relegation from SPFL1 + SPFL2 + Highland + Lowland
2023-24     no relegation from SPFL2 + Highland + Lowland

tenor.gif