Colt team proposal

BBC radio reporting that clubs have now met for discussions on this and will probably vote next week... I have a really bad feeling about this folks!
I can't see what's in it for the L2 teams, they will end up losing 3 home games for a start.

Interesting debate and 2 of the guys went up a notch in my book. Jim McInally and surprisingly Richard Foster, making a case for lower league NOT being corrupted by Old Firm Colts...and laughing loudly at Levein and John Gala Ferridean Collins.

Why on earth give a platform to 2 failed managers to pontificate on our game? How long has Project Brave or whatever its guise is today been around?  The SFA continue to appoint embarrassments like Malky McKay with no outcomes ever offered. 

All of Scottish Football would move up a bracket if each club was funded to improve skills rather than a handful of clubs hoovering up any decent player they play against and casting disillusioned kids on the scrap heap at 16 years of age. 

Edited by Bully Wee Clyde FC

21 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:
1 hour ago, FREDDYFRY said:
BBC radio reporting that clubs have now met for discussions on this and will probably vote next week... I have a really bad feeling about this folks!

I can't see what's in it for the L2 teams, they will end up losing 3 home games for a start.

They are less likely to be relegated when there are more teams in their division yet the same pyramid playoffs remain in place. And you would have to think that at least one of the six new sides in the division would be worse than what's already there. Dangerous proposal.

On 05/06/2020 at 21:11, haufdaft said:

Just give Budge's Hearts a place in the top 6 of the Premier League and be done with this shit.

Utterly sick of this.

WTF has it to do with us ? I fancy us to f**k this into the long grass much like everyone one else bar Brechin🧐

ps we’re heading right for that top 6 next season on merit😘

My main argument against this is always the same. Who was the last player at either rangers or celtic who went in to the first team after a loan at a league one or two club?
The main argument should be the simple democratic one of 'one club, one team' full fucking stop. Everything outwith that fundamental becomes bargaining. For myself we could be entering red line territory.

Colts have been proposed time and again over the last few years. And time and again fans of pretty much every other club has told it to f**k off.

It serves absolutely no positive purpose for the rest of Scottish football outwith the two arse cheeks. All that will happen is that them two will stockpile more players than they do already and take away a pathway for lower league teams getting (in theory) good, young players on loan or following their release. 

We have a pyramid for a reason. If they are so desperate to get them in, at the very most we should f**k them into the West of Scotland Conference divisions. But even that is a slap to the face of each and every team in the pyramid system. 

Get colt teams so, so, so, so, so far to f**k.

7 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Would urge anyone who feels strongly about this to write to their club and tell them it's a red line. 

Just done so there. Took a lot of self restraint not to just write "get colt teams to f**k" and leave it at that.

Edited by Jacky1990

6 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Is there not a danger it could just be hijacked by hundreds of old firm fans to make it look it would be a popular choice?

I don't think it's really that popular with them either.  

Why does this idea keep rearing its ugly head? Guys like Collins and Levein are out of touch and don’t want to upset the bigot brothers as that might hamper any future job prospects. They live in a fantasy land, where they think that if we have 17/18 year olds up against part time players then all of a sudden we will become world beaters. Here’s a notion, instead of Rangers and Celtic buying average foreign players why not play your own youth players? It isn’t the system that’s preventing Scottish talent breaking through its your own bloody club.

Get this notion gone once and for all, and whilst we are at it get both of the ugly twins in some sort of Atlantic League or whatever they want to play in against the Faroe Islands or something.

I would hope that this would not pass any vote and if it does my interest in Scottish football would be pretty much gone.

10 minutes ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

Why does this idea keep rearing its ugly head? Guys like Collins and Levein are out of touch and don’t want to upset the bigot brothers as that might hamper any future job prospects. They live in a fantasy land, where they think that if we have 17/18 year olds up against part time players then all of a sudden we will become world beaters. Here’s a notion, instead of Rangers and Celtic buying average foreign players why not play your own youth players? It isn’t the system that’s preventing Scottish talent breaking through its your own bloody club.

Get this notion gone once and for all, and whilst we are at it get both of the ugly twins in some sort of Atlantic League or whatever they want to play in against the Faroe Islands or something.

I would hope that this would not pass any vote and if it does my interest in Scottish football would be pretty much gone.

People are looking for shortcuts.

The argument you regularly hear in favour of colts is that they work in Spain, Holland and Germany. I think thats a lazy assumption. It's assuming that the colt teams are responsible for turning prospects into good players. By the time a youngster has reached 17/18 and is playing for Jong Ajax then he's got a high basic level of ability. Colt team football against lower league pro sides may well help him learn about being  a professional footballer but it isnt going to improve basic technique without higher level coaching. Those youngsters are being trained to a better standard from a younger age, aren't falling away in their mid to late teens as they see their pals getting involved in typical young guy daftness and aren't playing against adults of the standard of League One and Two.

Why the obsession with colts? You could just as easily look at how they develop hockey players in the 3 CHL leagues. Kids leave home at 16. They live with billet families, get high quality training and sports science support. They're playing proper hockey games against the best of their peers. Aged 18 or 19 they're making the jump from major junior to NHL hockey. AHL at worst, but that's still putting them into one of the top 10 leagues in the world.

Colt teams are the end point in as much as 7 or 8 years of high quality coaching and rely on the kids not being typical Scottish teenagers. They're not the magic bullet that folk seem to think and it's lazy thinking to look at how Jong Ajax operates (for example) and think that it's the colt team element that's the difference maker.

Honestly, I wonder if there is a more annoying duo on sports radio than John Collins and Craig Levein.

Even if what Collins was saying wasn't utter shite ("You could see 2 or 3,000 Rangers/Celtic fans clicking through the turnstiles at Colts away games") his nasal whine actually makes me want to launch the radio out the nearest window. Levein, an unmitigated disaster in his last three football jobs, sounds like one of those pontificating teachers that you hated at school. All that's missing sometimes is "If you know what's good for you laddie!"

Good on the dissenting voices of Jim MacInally and Richie Foster who at least provided some light and shade to counter the nonsense spouted by the gruesome twosome.

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

They're a wooden horse to let the bigots get their B sides set up in the league, then they f**k off to another league and still get to milk this one. 

For example, I guaran-fucking-tee when Southampton are playing Celtic, Celtic B will be playing Aberdeen at Parkhead.  It's a way for them to ensure tens of thousands of mugs EVERY week instead of every second week. 

Just now, Howlin' Wilf said:

Honestly, I wonder if there is a more annoying duo on sports radio than John Collins and Craig Levein.

Even if what Collins was saying wasn't utter shite ("You could see 2 or 3,000 Rangers/Celtic fans clicking through the turnstiles at Colts away games") his nasal whine actually wants me to launch the radio out the nearest window. Levein, an unmitigated disaster in his last three football jobs, sounds like one of those pontificating teachers that you hated at school. All that's missing sometimes is "If you know what's good for you laddie!"

Good on the dissenting voices of Jim MacInally and Richie Foster who at least provided some light and shade to counter the nonsense spouted by the gruesome twosome.

At best you'd get 100 folk in the away end at a colts game. Typically local families who don't often get to the big team home games and the odd obsessive. That would be offset by the home fans who'd stay away. I'd refuse to go to games featuring colt teams. I'd use that Saturday to go to another game completely. Pollok or the vale juniors.