Colt team proposal

6 hours ago, Enigma said:

Surely a better idea for youth development would be two SFA run teams with graduates of the performance school system. Players locked into 2 or 3 year contracts after which players can be picked in a US style draft system with lower placed team getting the first pick etc. Except we know that won’t happen because we know none of this isn’t actually about developing youths for the national team but for the sole benefit of the bigot brothers...

That's an insanely shit idea as the best players would be the worst paid, and so players wouldn't want to be anywhere near the first 30 draft picks and so a lot of incentive is lost for putting in the best performance.

The top players in such a system are not going to be thrilled to be playing in League 2 and not getting paid enough to make a full time living. They wouldn't be training full time and would have to get a part time job so couldn't commit as many hours to practice and their own fitness.

Isn't this part of the problem, almost as tho youngsters demand the money, recognition,flash cars etc without proving anything. Why is it beyond them to start in the lower leagues/divisions and work your way up to the Premier League's ? Always say that the better kids will make it through - to sit on the bench and play 10  games a season ? Seems as if they're happy with that.

3 hours ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

SD i agree. All those fancy dan coaches take the youngsters and orginise the way they want them to play, why not just let their own natural talent shine through instead of stifling it and maybe we start getting players coming through.

Curious as to what a fancy dan coach is.
Baxter, Law etc,etc, were all great in their day but around that time the rest of the world was moving on through coaching. Dutch and German coaches would probably encourage individual skills but as part of a coaching package.

Generally speaking league positions are determined by crowd base and finance. Maybe in terms of population and investment Scotland is punching under its weight but not by much.

That's an insanely shit idea as the best players would be the worst paid, and so players wouldn't want to be anywhere near the first 30 draft picks and so a lot of incentive is lost for putting in the best performance. The top players in such a system are not going to be thrilled to be playing in League 2 and not getting paid enough to make a full time living. They wouldn't be training full time and would have to get a part time job so couldn't commit as many hours to practice and their own fitness.

I would only envisage a draft for Premiership teams or fully professional sides perhap. It’s almost a moot point because it never going to happen, still a better idea than letting those two have teams kicking about the lower leagues though.

17 hours ago, Enigma said:

I would only envisage a draft for Premiership teams or fully professional sides perhap. It’s almost a moot point because it never going to happen, still a better idea than letting those two have teams kicking about the lower leagues though.

Sounds like a decent idea to me but we'd be as well letting clubs buy players once the reach a certain age and reinvest the cash into development.

• 8 months later...

This thread has been in cold storage since last June but it probably now, needs reactivated and I'm happy to oblige. 

Some of you may have seen last night's 'View From The Terrace' when the Colt Club issue was pleasingly given something of a doing - I believe Craig Fowler has an article in today's Scotsman newspaper.  The thing is, this shit isn't going to go away and the time has maybe arrived when any supporters of Scottish club football who feel strongly about it really need to communicate their views to their respective clubs in a polite but robust fashion.

The Sons Supporters Trust previously issued a statement of opposition to the Colt Clubs concept and it is my understanding that they soon may be planning a poll to canvass the views of their circa 400-strong membership, the results of which would be conveyed to the Dumbarton FC Board of Directors.  It would be accompanied by a reminder that whilst club Directors are club guardians at a point in time the decision they may soon be asked to make on their watch re Colt Clubs could potentially be both wrong on several counts and irrevocable for senior club football in this country.  Above all, they cannot allow themselves to become primarily focused on any financial inducements. 

I'd encourage everyone to engage with their clubs; if you don't wish to see Colt Clubs in the league then we need to make our Chairmen and Directors fully aware of our views.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

This thread has been in cold storage since last June but it probably now, needs reactivated and I'm happy to oblige. 

Some of you may have seen last night's 'View From The Terrace' when the Colt Club issue was pleasingly given something of a doing - I believe Craig Fowler has an article in today's Scotsman newspaper.  The thing is, this shit isn't going to go away and the time has maybe arrived when any supporters of Scottish club football who feel strongly about it really need to communicate their views to their respective clubs in a polite but robust fashion.

The Sons Supporters Trust previously issued a statement of opposition to the Colt Clubs concept and it is my understanding that they soon may be planning a poll to canvass the views of their circa 400-strong membership, the results of which would be conveyed to the Dumbarton FC Board of Directors.  It would be accompanied by a reminder that whilst club Directors are club guardians at a point in time the decision they may soon be asked to make on their watch re Colt Clubs could potentially be both wrong on several counts and irrevocable for senior club football in this country.  Above all, they cannot allow themselves to become primarily focused on any financial inducements. 

I'd encourage everyone to engage with their clubs; if you don't wish to see Colt Clubs in the league then we need to make our Chairmen and Directors fully aware of our views.

Let them in. The massive away support will bring a financial bonanza.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/03/2021 at 16:31, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I agree the clubs need to be made aware that noone from a fans outlook wants this. 

I think it's important that Clyde fans in particular contact the club regarding this, given our Director of Football's previous comments on the matter. Need to make sure he doesn't get in the ear of the people involved with voting.

55 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

So this garbage is going to vote again..(on BBC) along with various other bribes!

I really hope my club continues to vote against this, as I’ve said many times, it goes through I am finished!

Nah, it's not going to a vote again. It's a deliberately misleading article. The proposals need to be accepted by the SFA and SPFL boards before any resolution is put forward for a vote. Just like every other time this rears it's head, the SPFL board will pat the Old Firm on the head, laugh and walk away. If anyone fancies firing a warning shot off to their chairman though, now is probably a good time to do it. 

32 minutes ago, Blue-Toon said:

Fast forward to 30:30 to hear all about it -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p099s969

Thousands of Celtic/Rangers fans would watch their colts at away games apparently. 😂😂😂😂😂

They might get to 3 figures at a stretch, but once the novelty wears off they won't even get to that. At home games their crowds will undoubtedly be very low too.

Get this idea so far to f**k that it can't go any further because it has nowhere left to go, having gone as far to f**k as it's possible to go. It could be abducted by aliens, be shot forward to the 25th century with f**k Rogers and that wee tweeky w****r or jump from dimension to dimension in some kind of Quantum f**k and it still wouldn't have gone as far to f**k as I'd want it to go.

Lower league clubs don't want it.

Lower league fans don't want it.

The kind of kids who would be playing in a colts team in league 2 or 1 aren't going to go on to be regulars at Rangers or Celtic. The best old firm youngsters will be developing elsewhere. And there has been absolutely no indication from the old firm that they'd be willing to risk their youngsters in meaningful games unless they absolutely had no alternative. Patterson at Rangers may have got a chance in Europe recently, but it wasn't through choice. It was necessity and he wasn't getting much time on the park earlier in the season.

Its a non-starter. We need better youth coaching. If we want to give the best kids a proper chance then we need them playing at as high a level as possible. The kind of OF kids who would make up colt sides would be better playing for lower league clubs. 

Edited by BallochSonsFan