Colt team proposal

1 minute ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I've absolutely no idea how Alloa would vote; Mike Mulraney seems to try and keep schtum about the board's opinion on these things, possibily because of his own position on the SFA board. I've got a horrible feeling that, given enough incentive, he'd vote in favour of colts, however, but I might be maligning the man unfairly.

Up to the alloa fans then to make their feelings known if they are as against this as the rest of us.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Up to the alloa fans then to make their feelings known if they are as against this as the rest of us.

I always do. I've never had a reply. On this, or most other issues.

11 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Guys, FYI the Sonstrust has just posted the following statement which will be conveyed to the Dumbarton FC Board ahead of any discussion and vote on the proposals to restructure the leagues including the introduction of Colt teams.

THE SONSTRUST would like to reaffirm its opposition to the idea of ‘colt teams’ being introduced into the SPFL League system. In a consultation conducted in 2018, 89% of Trust members voted against the idea of having Colt teams play in our lower leagues, and it is also the unanimous position of the Sonstrust Board. We would therefore firmly oppose any league reconstruction proposals which introduced colt teams into the bottom tier.

We believe the democratic principle of ‘one club, one team’ should be upheld, and to see the lower tier devalued into little more than a development league for the top two sides in Scotland to test their youth against is something we could not support under any circumstances. This opportunistic attempt to use the crisis in Scottish football to shoehorn their development sides into the lower leagues, with the promises of guaranteed ticket sales and joining fees should be recognised as no more than a bribe – one that compromises the integrity of the competition. We believe that whatever financial benefit can be obtained by admitting colt teams into the league will be outweighed by the loss of revenue and goodwill from our supporters who overwhelmingly oppose the idea. The low attendances and boycotts at Challenge Cup fixtures involving colt teams both at The Rock and at many other grounds across Scotland show that there is little appetite to see the introduction of colt teams into the league.

The Sonstrust will therefore be making firm representations to the Club in opposition to any reconstruction proposal involving colt teams being introduced into the league setup. No matter the financial gain, the Club should not sells its soul by voting for such a proposal and risk antagonising its supporters who have been incredibly generous to the club over the past few months, rallying around and contributing financially to help ensure the future of our club.

Excellent statement.👍👍

Under previous boards or if Brabco were actually bothered about running the club I'd have been worried about us voting for it but I have absolutely no worries with our current board. I just hope a majority feel the same, I really don't think I'd bother going back if colts were permitted regardless of how my club voted.

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Under previous boards or if Brabco were actually bothered about running the club I'd have been worried about us voting for it but I have absolutely no worries with our current board. I just hope a majority feel the same, I really don't think I'd bother going back if colts were permitted regardless of how my club voted.

The worry is the top flight.

Some chairmen (Roy MacGregor, Steve Brown) seem to have deluded themselves about their clubs standing in the game and are supporting this.

Hopefully the lower leagues can band together enough to stop this.

So what happens with cup games and with the format we have just now the proposal was no colt team would be allowed to progress past league 1 now we have the championship and what happens with cup games Celtic v rangers colts or celtic v celtic colts 

45 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

So what happens with cup games and with the format we have just now the proposal was no colt team would be allowed to progress past league 1 now we have the championship and what happens with cup games Celtic v rangers colts or celtic v celtic colts 

The Spanish cup final in 79/80 was between Real Madrid and their B team.

Reserves have since been banned from the Copa Del Rey. 

I can only imagine that the SFA and the SPFL would find a way of making it a complete farce.

Some chairmen (Roy MacGregor, Steve Brown) seem to have deluded themselves about their clubs standing in the game and are supporting this.
Hopefully the lower leagues can band together enough to stop this.
There is a worry right through the league if the reported comments of the Stenny Chairman are accurate. What every one of these club officials must remember is that they are only transient representatives but the decisions they are about to make will potentially end 128 years of democratically run Scottish League club football. If they make the knee-jerk media-populist call there can be no going back, and they should seriously consider whether, given the above, it really is a worthwhile plan when balanced against a derisory financial sweetener.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Good of us to ruin two cup competitions in one swoop. You can't really top Scotland for shit ideas.

I don’t know one bonus of having the Colts in the Challenge Cup is disproves the argument that their supporters will turn out to watch their Colt teams in the league and every board in the bottom three tiers can see that. The results also show none of this lot are likely to suddenly turn into the next Andy Robertson by playing for the Colts instead of Queens Park etc

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hopefully the lower leagues can band together enough to stop 

Allocating both ends of their ground to old firm fans as St Johnstone do is pathetic. They'll argue that it makes financial sense. I wish I could explain to them exactly why it makes no sense. 

Edited by Lesser Is More

1 minute ago, Lesser Is More said:

Allocating both ends of their ground to old firm fans as St Johnstone do is pathetic. They'll argue that it makes financial sense. I wish I could explainto them exactly why it makes no sense. 

How many tickets did Queens Park give them when they played Rangers?

1 minute ago, Lesser Is More said:

Allocating both ends of their ground to old firm fans as St Johnstone do is pathetic. They'll argue that it makes financial sense. I wish I could explain to them exactly why it makes no sense. 

Its 3 stands now.

They were getting less home fans than season ticket holders for games against Rangers, and losing money on the games, so decided to experiment with putting all home fans in one stand instead of separated by OF fans.

The result was the highest home crowd against the OF in years, and also the best home performances against the OF in years.

The game against Celtic earned enough that they could spend the money to sign Jamie McCart in January for a fee.

Please tell me how it will force fans away though, considering the previous decade has seen St Johnstones crowd remain pretty static no matter what the club situation, either in total or in terms of OF allocation. 

Naw, filled with ex Juniors.

Is anyone in the SPFL even against this? Most fans will welcome the inclusion of Ex Junior teams and if like Edinburgh City and Cove Rangers they’re better than the current established teams then they’ll be a welcome addition to improve the standard of the SPFL. The door has been open for these teams for quite a few years it’s the SJFA that wouldn’t let the teams enter it until Kelty gave them the finger. The Lowland league will soon be a good league for any teams that drop out of the SPFL. The North Juniors, remaining East Juniors and North Caledonian teams are welcome too.

Colts can GTF!

There is a worry right through the league if the reported comments of the Stenny Chairman are accurate. What every one of these club officials must remember is that they are only transient representatives but the decisions they are about to make will potentially end 128 years of democratically run Scottish League club football. If they make the knee-jerk media-populist call there can be no going back, and they should seriously consider whether, given the above, it really is a worthwhile plan when balanced against a derisory financial sweetener.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

I know what you’re getting at OKI 3 but it’s a long time since Scottish football was democratically run.

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Guys, FYI the Sonstrust has just posted the following statement which will be conveyed to the Dumbarton FC Board ahead of any discussion and vote on the proposals to restructure the leagues including the introduction of Colt teams.

THE SONSTRUST would like to reaffirm its opposition to the idea of ‘colt teams’ being introduced into the SPFL League system. In a consultation conducted in 2018, 89% of Trust members voted against the idea of having Colt teams play in our lower leagues, and it is also the unanimous position of the Sonstrust Board. We would therefore firmly oppose any league reconstruction proposals which introduced colt teams into the bottom tier.

We believe the democratic principle of ‘one club, one team’ should be upheld, and to see the lower tier devalued into little more than a development league for the top two sides in Scotland to test their youth against is something we could not support under any circumstances. This opportunistic attempt to use the crisis in Scottish football to shoehorn their development sides into the lower leagues, with the promises of guaranteed ticket sales and joining fees should be recognised as no more than a bribe – one that compromises the integrity of the competition. We believe that whatever financial benefit can be obtained by admitting colt teams into the league will be outweighed by the loss of revenue and goodwill from our supporters who overwhelmingly oppose the idea. The low attendances and boycotts at Challenge Cup fixtures involving colt teams both at The Rock and at many other grounds across Scotland show that there is little appetite to see the introduction of colt teams into the league.

The Sonstrust will therefore be making firm representations to the Club in opposition to any reconstruction proposal involving colt teams being introduced into the league setup. No matter the financial gain, the Club should not sells its soul by voting for such a proposal and risk antagonising its supporters who have been incredibly generous to the club over the past few months, rallying around and contributing financially to help ensure the future of our club.

👏👏👏

On the face of it, £125k upfront sounds like a lot.
If it is split between the 16 other third tier clubs that would be around £7800. 
200 tickets at £15 a pop four times per season would be a further £12,000.
So clubs in the third tier stand to make around £20,000 extra in the first season. Less in subsequent seasons.
Will clubs be able to say no to that?
On a personal level, if my club supports it and it goes through they won’t see a penny of my money again.

I'm sorry but if that is anything short of bribery what is?

What's the problem with Colts teams? They won't be a threat. We beat Motherwell Colts 4-0 this season & Celtic Colts 3-1, with a team including our 50-year old manager.
Take the money on offer from allowing them to share a pitch with us, & willingly accept the extra gate money from the delightful fans who will follow anything wearing their colours. 
The only problem I have with this proposal is it puts us back in the bottom tier again.
12-18-18 I say [emoji38].
You lot don't own your pitch [emoji1787]

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its 3 stands now.

They were getting less home fans than season ticket holders for games against Rangers, and losing money on the games, so decided to experiment with putting all home fans in one stand instead of separated by OF fans.

The result was the highest home crowd against the OF in years, and also the best home performances against the OF in years.

The game against Celtic earned enough that they could spend the money to sign Jamie McCart in January for a fee.

Please tell me how it will force fans away though, considering the previous decade has seen St Johnstones crowd remain pretty static no matter what the club situation, either in total or in terms of OF allocation. 

I fully understand the points you've made there. It must be a concern for those running the club how much the support has dropped away. 

I attended a Saints v Dundee match a few seasons back, a big crowd was in, well over 7000. One end of the ground was left unoccupied and it completely ruined the atmosphere.