Colt team proposal

9 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Sevco and co colts are already playing alongside the diddies in the diddy cup.

Get over it.

And what a rip-roaring success that has proved to be right enough

14 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Sevco and co colts are already playing alongside the diddies in the diddy cup.

Get over it.

And one of them couldn’t even beat a Clyde team who were pish at the time with Danny Lennon in the side. We got over it fine!

12 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Hmm, having seen your contributions to  other forums one here I've already marked you down as a bit of a tosser, so your closing remark here is unsurprising.  However, in the interests of strict accuracy I've now edited my post, so well done you.

I am always cynical about someone who does not list the team they support

Could be a pincer movement.  There are ambitious teams coming up from below, and the next thing will be Aberdeen et al wanting their colt teams in the league as well. 

Under this proposal, would there still be a Club 46 facing a relegation play-off?  And what if it is Celtic/Rangers Colts?  I can't see the big boys fancying a Lowland League season.  But if it is not Celtic/Rangers Colts, bit by bit, some of the traditional League clubs will be pushed down and out - and if there is a proposal to cut the League back to 42 or 44, you can bet it will not be the colt teams that would face the chop.

There must be a few of you out there who remember Rangers cunning plan in the sixties to put most of the old second division out of business 'for the good of the game'. At the end of the day, who was it ended up out of business? Not us! What I am saying is, give them the same response as we gave them then. Laugh and ignore them. We definitely do not need that kind of interference in our world. What would be the point in having a really good side (for a change) but cannot have any chance of winning the championship because of them lording it at the top? I'm sure I speak for everyone here, not just my own lot. Forfar did not win the championship in their 125th anniversary season, despite having an excellent side. Why not? Bloody Sevco, that's why not. No, I implore everybody in our world to make it very clear that the so called 'colts' are neither welcome nor wanted.

Backs to the wall, boys and girls!

The best thing about the colts debate is that it brings us  fans of the lower league clubs together in a way that few other topics do.  We need to be making sure that this never sees the light of day. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

11 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The best thing about the colts debate is that it brings us  fans of the lower league clubs together in a way that few other topics do.  We need to be making sure that this never sees the light of day. 

Don't mention the diddy cup you all play in along with the colts.

Just now, Tutankhamen said:

I cant see it lasting much longer. Was a decent competition when kept to it's original format and idea. Last few years it's been a complete farce.

A cup that used to be great for the Lower leagues and is now a total farce ruined by these colts sides that bring nothing. I miss this cup but haven't been since the colts were allowed in and wont be back till the gtf. Will be the same if they get in the league.

Colts in the league and that's it finished for me.

46 minutes ago, dipsy said:

There must be a few of you out there who remember Rangers cunning plan in the sixties to put most of the old second division out of business 'for the good of the game'. At the end of the day, who was it ended up out of business? Not us! What I am saying is, give them the same response as we gave them then. Laugh and ignore them. We definitely do not need that kind of interference in our world. What would be the point in having a really good side (for a change) but cannot have any chance of winning the championship because of them lording it at the top? I'm sure I speak for everyone here, not just my own lot. Forfar did not win the championship in their 125th anniversary season, despite having an excellent side. Why not? Bloody Sevco, that's why not. No, I implore everybody in our world to make it very clear that the so called 'colts' are neither welcome nor wanted.

Backs to the wall, boys and girls!

I seem to remember one of the Rangers fans on here saying that the club/company had been very reluctant to present that motion, but feeling among the other big clubs had been so strong that they had no choice other than to press for a selection of smaller member clubs to be fired into the sun.

No doubt, in a few decades' time, somebody will straightfacedly say that The Rangers really hadn't wanted to force reserve teams into the senior team structure, but those bad boys at Aberdeen and Motherwell, just insisted that it should happen.

On Sportsound this afternoon, Tom English was listing European leagues that have B teams with the percentage of players in their national teams that played in these B teams. I was intrigued, so I looked up the last Scotland squad and of the 23 players who were stripped, 16 have played lower league football in either Scotland or England. A whopping 74% which I think matched the figures he was spouting.

That's not even the reason I'm opposed to this. I'm with OKI on the one team, one club principal. We (Dumbarton) have canvassed fans twice on this subject with 95% against both times. I feel confident that most lower league clubs will be against the proposal again.

34 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

I'd be a lot more worried about ex Junior teams taking the diddy clubs out than Sevco and friends colts teams.

At least those teams will have earned the right to be in the league through promotions rather than being shoehorned in by the ugly sisters. 

2 minutes ago, microdave said:

On Sportsound this afternoon, Tom English was listing European leagues that have B teams with the percentage of players in their national teams that played in these B teams. I was intrigued, so I looked up the last Scotland squad and of the 23 players who were stripped, 16 have played lower league football in either Scotland or England. A whopping 74% which I think matched the figures he was spouting.

That's not even the reason I'm opposed to this. I'm with OKI on the one team, one club principal. We (Dumbarton) have canvassed fans twice on this subject with 95% against both times. I feel confident that most lower league clubs will be against the proposal again.

Wait till you are in the Lowland League and them come back to us.

Wait till you are in the Lowland League and them come back to us.

I've no idea what you mean by that. My views on colt teams would be the same no matter which division we're playing in. Being in the Lowland league wouldn't stop me supporting Dumbarton.

21 hours ago, clyde4ever said:

What's the problem with Colts teams? They won't be a threat. We beat Motherwell Colts 4-0 this season & Celtic Colts 3-1, with a team including our 50-year old manager.

Take the money on offer from allowing them to share a pitch with us, & willingly accept the extra gate money from the delightful fans who will follow anything wearing their colours. 

The only problem I have with this proposal is it puts us back in the bottom tier again.

12-18-18 I say 😆.

Nobody is opposed to Colts teams because they’re scared of getting beat by them.  The fact they are having to bribe clubs into supporting (which incidentally seems particularly crass timing when so many are on their knees) would suggest it’s a terrible idea with absolutely no benefit to anybody other than Celtic and Rangers. Was speaking to a mate of mine who is generally in favour of this as a youth football coach and says there is a lack of meaningful, challenging games for youngsters aged 16-22. On the face of it, having Colt teams would sort that, but why not loan youngsters out to lower league clubs? Because then Celtic and Rangers won’t be able to influence how these players are utilised, whereas having Colt teams in the leagues would allow them to play in a style similar to that of their first team - the “it’ll help the national team” argument is utter bollocks. I really don’t think the failure of the national team in the last 20 years is because we don’t have enough Celtic or Rangers players in the squad. Their persistence on this despite the overwhelming majority of fans opposing it absolutely fucking stinks.

8 minutes ago, ScottR96 said:

Nobody is opposed to Colts teams because they’re scared of getting beat by them.  The fact they are having to bribe clubs into supporting (which incidentally seems particularly crass timing when so many are on their knees) would suggest it’s a terrible idea with absolutely no benefit to anybody other than Celtic and Rangers. Was speaking to a mate of mine who is generally in favour of this as a youth football coach and says there is a lack of meaningful, challenging games for youngsters aged 16-22. On the face of it, having Colt teams would sort that, but why not loan youngsters out to lower league clubs? Because then Celtic and Rangers won’t be able to influence how these players are utilised, whereas having Colt teams in the leagues would allow them to play in a style similar to that of their first team - the “it’ll help the national team” argument is utter bollocks. I really don’t think the failure of the national team in the last 20 years is because we don’t have enough Celtic or Rangers players in the squad. Their persistence on this despite the overwhelming majority of fans opposing it absolutely fucking stinks.

In the modern game if your not good enough to play for the first team at 17/18  its doubtful you ever will be.  Celtic seem to have few issues bringing through young players it's just sevco that seem to have a particularly awful success rate. They should be looking closer to home instead of blaming it on not having a stupid colt team.