Colt team proposal

17 hours ago, GallowayBlue said:

Any thoughts on this shameless attempt to exploit clubs in crisis?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52941423

Yeh, I’m not a fan of the colts idea but they keep pushing it. If Rovers had drawn Sevco U21s in the semis or final of the diddy cup then in all likelihood I would have gone to the game. I gave a wide berth to earlier games we played against Ross County and Aberdeen Colts. I suspect I would be the same with league games. Run of the mill games against a Colts side, not much chance I’d attend. Then there’d be a game to get into the play-offs or the likes and I’d end up attending. Then it would be normalised in my head and I’d probably go to more games. 

Whether I like it or not, Sevco and Celtic are clubs which already dwarf the rest of Scottish football. So this is just the next logical step for them.

Edited by Scary Bear

30 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Yeh, I’m not a fan of the colts idea but they keep pushing it. If Rovers had drawn Sevco U21s in the semis or final of the diddy cup then in all likelihood I would have gone to the game. I gave a wide berth to earlier games we played against Ross County and Aberdeen Colts. I suspect I would be the same with league games. Run of the mill games against a Colts side, not much chance I’d attend. Then there’d be a game to get into the play-offs or the likes and I’d end up attending. Then it would be normalised in my head and I’d probably go to more games. 

Whether I like it or not, Sevco and Celtic are clubs which already dwarf the rest of Scottish football. So this is just the next logical step for them.

You deserve them then.

40 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:
5 hours ago, Snafu said:
I think it would be worse than that, those two clubs will demand success at the highest level they can achieve which is to win the Championship title,  both clubs will once in will get into an arms race with each other and bring in young players from outside Scotland pacifically to play in those teams, they can't help themselves, non of this will be of any benefit to bringing through young Scottish players, plus both clubs will bring their baggage with them to grounds at that level. Anyone thinking that colts entering the SPFL will benefit Scottish football is deluding themselves, don't think that the current standard of these two colt teams will stay the same as it is now, it won't.

And once ensconced in the Championship, watch the big arsecheeks start agitating for a move to England again, leaving the "B" team to become the "A" team and get promoted to the top league. Rinse, repeat.

Unlikely they'd get close to the Championship. These teams are routinely pumped by lower league sides in the Challenge Cup. 

More likely they'd push for a certain number of over age players to be allowed, and that would just be the start.

It is, as many have noted, only a first step. The OF Colts will be yet another layer of competition between those two, so players that would better be served playing in loan at the current League One or Championship level would be sent to the “B” team, and some players who would otherwise see limited “A” team duties would likely be seeded in as well. The attendance for these teams has proven to be abysmal outside the Glasgow area.

After a season or two, as noted above, the next step is to add a little experience to the Colt teams by allowing 3 older players on the roster, to provide leadership. Then there’s the need to get opportunity for the youngsters to play up, so a way to transfer players during the season would be next. 

Then there’s the chance for hanky-panky when you have a team (or teams) competing in a League that they cannot “win”. Since their position would be irrelevant, they could elect to effectively throw games to influence the seasons results.

One thing I've not seen mentioned about Colt teams is, if the experiment doesn't work (and don't think it will), how do you get rid of them?  Once Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen etc have squads in the national leagues, they'll certainly not make it easy to get rid of them again.

6 hours ago, SLClyde said:

But I thought this idea would improve the national team, I’ve heard that many a time. 

The only people that think this is a good idea are, funnily enough, Rangers and Celtic fans.

Don’t they realise that if a player is not good enough to be pushing first team by 20-21 then not a chance they will ever be of International standard, not even Scotland international if Rangers And Celtic have many Scottish nationals in their extended squads.

Solution for Sevco and Celtic and their desperate need to field Colt teams: Sevco should buy Linfield and Celtic should buy Cliftonville and use them as feeder clubs. They can play all the young players that they want, they would get much bigger crowds over in Northern Ireland and it would keep their scum supporters away from the lower leagues over here. Too easy or am I missing something?

1 minute ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Solution for Sevco and Celtic and their desperate need to field Colt teams: Sevco should buy Linfield and Celtic should buy Cliftonville and use them as feeder clubs. They can play all the young players that they want, they would get much bigger crowds over in Northern Ireland and it would keep their scum supporters away from the lower leagues over here. Too easy or am I missing something?

Works for me.

Sportsound was all time low this afternoon. I thought the Ann Budge sycophants were bad enough but the God bless Rangers for this plan was absolutely unbelievable. 
Neil McCann is completely clueless about lower leagues and the identity supporters have with their teams. He is clueless in general but that was just shocking.

Sportsound was all time low this afternoon. I thought the Ann Budge sycophants were bad enough but the God bless Rangers for this plan was absolutely unbelievable. 
Neil McCann is completely clueless about lower leagues and the identity supporters have with their teams. He is clueless in general but that was just shocking.

Uses to enjoy listening to program. Open all mics etc but rapidly gone downhill with presenters trying to know whats best for scottish football as a whole since Lockdown

Sectarianism will never catch on in Northern Ireland.

It’s bad enough seeing the wanky glory hunting fans from the seaside leagues disappearing from small towns & abandoning their local teams, can you imagine these same c***s getting one over on the fans who stick local, on the off chance the Colts actually beat anyone. It’s a no from me.

This needs to be a fight the vast majority of Scotland's senior clubs dare not lose and they must take their position on the high moral ground. Never mind that this is a disgraceful attempt at ramming thro change using a tawdry bribe at a time when most clubs are facing financial hardship, allied to saving the hide of a Hearts team which has languished at the bottom of their division for almost the entire season, there is a more pressing issue. And it is simply this; if Scottish football accepts the inclusion of Colt teams in the league structure then the democratic principle of 'one club, one team' will be smashed to a pulp. And for me, if my club votes to accept this, then my 60-year association with them and the game I love will be terminated forthwith.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

2 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Barking

3 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

This needs to be a fight the vast majority of Scotland's senior clubs dare not lose and they must take their position on the high moral ground. Never mind that this is disgraceful attempt at ramming thro change using a tawdry bribe at a time when most clubs are facing financial hardship, allied to saving the hide of a Hearts team which has languished at the bottom of their division for almost the entire season, there is a more pressing issue. And it is simply this; if Scottish football accepts the inclusion of Colt teams then the democratic principle of 'one club, one team' will be smashed to a pulp. And for me, if my club votes to accept this, then my 60-year association with them and the game I love will be terminated forthwith.

Sevco and co colts are already playing alongside the diddies in the diddy cup.

Get over it.

5 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Sevco and co colts are already playing alongside the diddies in the diddy cup.

Get over it.

Hmm, having seen your contributions to  other forums one here I've already marked you down as a bit of a tosser, so your closing remark here is unsurprising.  However, in the interests of strict accuracy I've now edited my post, so well done you.