Colt team proposal

I had a feeling they'd try and sneak this shit in again when clubs were at their most vulnerable for a while, and more likely to be tempted with the blood money.

As with every other attempt, it can jog right off into the fucking sea.

Edited by Scorge

As horrid as the proposal is, I just can't see much threat here.

Most lower league clubs have come out against colt teams before, due to the reaction of their fans. The money is lightyears away from what it would need to be for clubs to ignore that.

More reassuringly, I can't even see it getting enough support from the top division. Premiership clubs fall into two categories: those that want/can afford their own colt team, and those that can't/won't have a colt side.

The clubs who can't afford/don't want their own colt side would surely be against it, as it would (if successful) give their rivals an advantage over them. For the clubs (outside the old firm) who want their own colt side, why would they vote for a system where their sides start in a lower tier to Rangers & Celtics teams?

In short, it's got no chance.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Who in L2 would vote for that, knowing theyll get a pittance and piss off a load of their supporters. No one wants to watch colts, they are not going to get huge OF supports buying pies and programs, and when the under 21 rule gets scrapped (which would happen) they will potentially block promotion for other teams.
Championship teams wont want it if they still only have 1 guaranteed promotion place and the same biased playoff system.
The teams from L1 who'll end up in the new bottom tier wont vote for it.

Supporters have to mobilise and contact their clubs about this. We can’t let this happen it’s do disrespectful to lower leagues. 

I don’t pay me season ticket to watch a Fecken 18year old old firm player who will 3 years later be sent out on loan to us or someone else like us then never seen again. 

I won’t be going and if passed I urge every supporter to boycott any game involving a Colt team!

Edited by FREDDYFRY

Just realised that if there were 18 teams then each club would only get two of the 200x15 payments.
That would mean around £14000 per club in the first season, then less in subsequent seasons.
The clubs could easily collect more than that through fundraising initiatives etc. I’m sure, if they wanted to.
And if it's 18 teams, they lose a home game, plus 2 home games with an almost certain fan boycott.

What's the problem with Colts teams? They won't be a threat. We beat Motherwell Colts 4-0 this season & Celtic Colts 3-1, with a team including our 50-year old manager.

Take the money on offer from allowing them to share a pitch with us, & willingly accept the extra gate money from the delightful fans who will follow anything wearing their colours. 

The only problem I have with this proposal is it puts us back in the bottom tier again.

12-18-18 I say 😆.

Totally against colt teams, and don't want them in the challenge cup either. 

If OF think their talented youngsters would benefit from playing against  older, experienced pros why not loan them out to clubs in leagues 1 & 2? May make them appreciate what they've got. Andy Robertson gained from ending up at QP, look where he is now. I'm sure most lower tier clubs would take 3 or 4 loanees for free. 

I'm all for young players development. Maybe we could increase the amount of loans any 1 club could have? 

3 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Supporters have to mobilise and contact their clubs about this. We can’t let this happen it’s do disrespectful to lower leagues. 

I don’t pay me season ticket to watch a Fecken 18year old old firm player who will 3 years later be sent out on loan to us or someone else like us then never seen again. 

I won’t be going and if passed I urge every supporter to boycott any game involving a Colt team!

I totally agree fans of all lower league clubs would have to agree to boycott games against colt teams.  

However if season tickets have been payed and colt teams pay for 200 tickets there is no financial penalty really apart from the fans who pay at the gate.  It really would take for fans of all clubs to unite and boycott.  

I do believe though some chairman give not a f**k even for their own fans.  If over a season the difference is fans only not turning up for 2/4 games is offset by payments and loan players meaning possible promotion or avoiding relegation each season can be achieved.  

I dont see it being voted in though  top tier clubs still have self preservation and if hearts stay up they will have a budget to improve more than a Hamilton or st mirren.  So if 3 teams are relegated from the top league in 2/3/4 seasons the long term will out weigh the short.  Dundee utd and Inverness added give more competition and increase the likelihood for some to be in relegation spots in the future.  

My only worry is money talks.  Usually more than fans.  I have voiced my opinion before that colt teams are not wanted but I admit i still went when airdrie played hamilton colts in the diddy cup. But that's my choice as a fan not wanting to miss a 1st team game.  I for one though would join any boycott from any fellow lower league fans of colt teams games.  

8 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Is there any actual evidence that introducing youth sides in senior leagues actually helps development?  Surely this is already covered by the loan system?

Back in the days of C Division South-West and North-East International calibre players were coming through so fast Scotland had a "B" team...

53 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Back in the days of C Division South-West and North-East International calibre players were coming through so fast Scotland had a "B" team...

So what? Scotland has a "B" team now. . . . . . . . . .  we just don't have an "A" team.

Mua The A-Team - Season 1 trên Amazon Anh chính hãng 2020 | Fado

Edited by Bairn in Exile

Like the challenge cup it will start off as under 21s and then wait and see as overage players are introduced under the help these youngsters through premise.  To me it would be the start of the end . Imagine you get a really decent colts team that reaches the championship.  All they are then doing is getting in the way of the clubs fighting it out for promotion to the top flight.  Their just taking away league places and prize money other clubs should be getting. 

7 hours ago, clyde4ever said:

What's the problem with Colts teams? They won't be a threat. We beat Motherwell Colts 4-0 this season & Celtic Colts 3-1, with a team including our 50-year old manager.

Take the money on offer from allowing them to share a pitch with us, & willingly accept the extra gate money from the delightful fans who will follow anything wearing their colours. 

The only problem I have with this proposal is it puts us back in the bottom tier again.

12-18-18 I say 😆.

Because we don't want them! And we have a pyramid system. If they really must come in, put them at the bottom, in the West of Scotland League.

4 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Why didn’t Rangers play these youths when they were in leagues 1 and 2. 

Always wondered this. Why not play youths and top up with some top "rangers men" 

They would probably work up the league's, save themselves alot of money and could have some top talents with 150 rangers games under belt before they are 21. 

2 hours ago, sirscottyoung said:

Always wondered this. Why not play youths and top up with some top "rangers men" 

They would probably work up the league's, save themselves alot of money and could have some top talents with 150 rangers games under belt before they are 21. 

Certainly would've been far more likely to get out the championship at the first attempt.

Edited by Shadwell Dog