Colts Teams

6 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

There is absolutely f**k all evidence for this happening in Scotland.

Why are the trying to bribe clubs by "guaranteeing to buy away tickets"? Why not just rely on these "decent" (i misnomer if ever there was one) crowds they will bring?

As Mr Kats is stating, there are far bigger problems with grass roots football structure and the funding associated with it.  The OF u18s will do f**k all to solve that. 

If there was any great appetite for people to see colts teams it would be reflected in the crowds for development league and challenge cup games - it's not. The former - and I'll grant you they normally take place on weekday afternoons which obviously brings crowds down - attract double figure crowds of players' relatives, coaches, scouts and club obsessives.

At Premiership level clubs have prices calibrated to squeeze every penny they reasonably can out of their fans...on top of those costs your average fan won't also spring to start following a bunch of kids wearing their strip that may - or in most cases may not - eventually make it into their first team.

The challenge cup is a little bit better supported, but for fans of smaller SPFL clubs playing a colts team is anything but a big draw...if anything they'll see it as demeaning and actively stay away. Even when all the stars align crowds aren't what you would call fantastic...I was given a comp for last season's Rangers colts v Wrexham tie, and even with it being at Ibrox on a Saturday afternoon with fairly low pricing the crowd was maybe only about 5000 with about 2000 of them up form Wales.

They wouldn't bring any crowds in my opinion. Remember that the games would be played on Saturday afternoons, generally at the same time as their big team.

More than half of celtic and rangers games do not kick of at 3pm on a Saturday that’s a fact not one of there 19 away games are 3pm on a Saturday and at least 25% home games are not at at that time either. I think it would surprise you how many fans would go

26 minutes ago, classof2010 said:

More than half of celtic and rangers games do not kick of at 3pm on a Saturday that’s a fact not one of there 19 away games are 3pm on a Saturday and at least 25% home games are not at at that time either. I think it would surprise you how many fans would go

Exactly the same thing was said about Ajax & PSV colts in the Dutch 2nd tier. In the first season the attendences were half-decent but then the novelty wore off and since then the colt teams have consistently, and by quite a distance, been the worst supported teams in the division. In away games they often don't even reach double figures and there are plenty of examples when they took 0 away fans!

I'm far from convinced. I was a season ticket holder at Ibrox for 25 years before I joined the committee at Glencairn and I went to a few reserve games back then. The crowds, even against Celtic, were nothing to write home about. When you add on the extra policing and stewarding that would more than likely be demanded, there goes the profit as well.

They might bring bigger crowds depending on timings, but they'd also bring increased policing costs. Even the big OF teams tend also to result in hme fans turning up in fewer numbers - who wants to see your team get badly turned over in the company of thousands of the folk-song enthusiasts?  I suspect OF youth teams would bring enough of a support to discourage some home supporters from turning up.

Again we get this fixation with the OF when the one that is most likely to actually happen is ICT in the Highland League's portion of the pyramid that will be emerging over the next season or two as tier 6 feeders get added.

Worth noting also that Hibs had a colt team in the EoS in the not too distant past without the sky caving in on football as we have known it. That was probably not a high enough level pre-junior influx to be viewed as worthwhile from their standpoint, so it didn't last long.

The LL portion of the pyramid currently allows second teams for PGB board level clubs in both the EoS and SoS but not at tier 5 in the LL. WoS didn't allow reserve or colt team type applications for year one by all accounts, but it remains to be seen what happens in future seasons once they have their own officeholders.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

3 minutes ago, NCAC said:

The case for the colts has been made on main stream radio and football shows its a strong case with support away from the tiny minority of non league anoraks on here. 

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Again we get this fixation with the OF when the one that is most likely to actually happen is ICT in the Highland League's pyramid that will be emerging over the next season or two. 

If you are supporting the same viewpoint as Traffordab then you are on the wrong side of the debate.

Also wilfully ignoring that the Bigots want to parachute their teams into the SPFL which is totally different form placing a team in the non-leagues. 

#ftof

17 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Again we get this fixation with the OF when the one that is most likely to actually happen is ICT in the Highland League's portion of the pyramid that will be emerging over the next season or two as tier 6 feeders get added.

Worth noting also that Hibs had a colt team in the EoS in the not too distant past without the sky caving in on football as we have known it. That was probably not a high enough level pre-junior influx to be viewed as worthwhile from their standpoint, so it didn't last long.

The LL portion of the pyramid currently allows second teams for PGB board level clubs in both the EoS and SoS but not at tier 5 in the LL. WoS didn't allow reserve or colt team type applications for year one by all accounts, but it remains to be seen what happens in future seasons once they have their own officeholders.

May 2019

Cardno (HFL President) confirmed Inverness held talks with the league about a colts team becoming Cove’s replacement, but added: “It was a unanimous decision after a thorough debate.”

Highland League secretary Rod Houston said: “Caley Thistle had approached us to consider the possibility of a colts team joining but, at the minute, there are too many impondrables for the clubs to be comfortable with.

From then until June 2020

Paper talk that's seen every form of reconstruction put forward rejected. The Highland League have also put in stricter loan rules to prevent the Fort William/ICT relationship. And I believe that crop of players have been cut loose by ICT. I wouldn't get your hopes up on ICT colts unless there's wider change beyond the Highland League.

EDIT:

If ICT really fancy this idea they should think about sticking a team in the NCL again. They're expected to accept Nairn County's youth team and signing up for the pyramid. So they can access the Highland League that way without worrying about getting rejected on a membership vote.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

13 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

^^^This is what Scotland has sunk to nowadays. Not exactly "Athens of the North" level discourse.

Seeing as you are someone who regularly flounces out of threads announcing he's no coming back and who is then back posting within 5 minutes  your response is a bit cringe mate.

You dont seem able to understand that two clubs in Scotland promote hatred, bigotry and  sectarianism and that all good football fans despise them. for the social ills they cause. Support for them is support for hatred, bigotry and  sectarianism and Scottish football bowing down to this hatred, bigotry and  sectarianism by allowing them to enter "Colt" teams into the SPFL will do nothing for the Scottish national team but will instead increase hatred, bigotry and  sectarianism.

Kneepadders like yourself are just making themselves look silly.

...and feel free to tell me how my previous post was wrong.

Edited by Junior Pub League

Incoherent bile rather than reasoned debate about the colt teams concept is clearly the order of the day now from people that don't seem to be able to grasp that it isn't just the OF that wants these teams. There's even a childish red dot from the Excelsior fan for doing no more than posting factual information. Truly pathetic school playground level stuff. Over and out for now.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

The reason why most discussion around colts ends up around Celtic & Rangers, is that they are the ones that generally propose wholesale changes to league structures in order to enter it. SPFL3, the 12 team SPFL trial, 14-14-18. I'm probably missing some.

It almost as if it pops up every year after Craig Mulholland and Chris McCart have their end of year reviews and colts in the pyramid is their magic bullet to do better.

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Incoherent bile rather than reasoned debate about the colt teams concept is clearly the order of the day now from people that don't seem to be able to grasp that it isn't just the OF that wants these teams. There's even a childish red dot from the Excelsior fan for doing no more than posting factual information. Truly pathetic school playground level stuff. Over and out for now.

Childish? You keep posting myths that colt teams would benefit lower leagues, get higher attendances and are needed for youth developments. When people like myself and plenty of others come with actual counter arguments against that, you just ignore them rather then getting into a reasoned debate. It seems you're the one not wanting debate.

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

So you cant find any argument with what I said and are leaving with your tail between your legs (again). 

Says a lot about you (again).

And (again) please point out what was incoherent or bile. 

Seeing as you are someone who regularly flounces out of threads announcing he's no coming back and who is then back posting within 5 minutes  your response is a bit cringe mate.
You dont seem able to understand that two clubs in Scotland promote hatred, bigotry and  sectarianism and that all good football fans despise them. for the social ills they cause. Support for them is support for hatred, bigotry and  sectarianism and Scottish football bowing down to this hatred, bigotry and  sectarianism by allowing them to enter "Colt" teams into the SPFL will do nothing for the Scottish national team but will instead increase hatred, bigotry and  sectarianism.
Kneepadders like yourself are just making themselves look silly.
...and feel free to tell me how my previous post was wrong.

So there is only bigotry at OF games [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] you need to get out more, I seen it at quite a lot of other premier ground and a few junior grounds, again it’s my opinion I’m not saying I’m right or wrong just my opinion, I think the Scottish game needs a right good shake and the addition of colt team to spfl and the addition of the west juniors to the wosfl would go about adding new life to a boring structure, it’s good we have a pyramid but it’s not the best but at least there is no ceiling for ambitious clubs coming in from lowland highland leagues and the ex junior teams anymore

It has been pointed out to me that I could be wrong about ICT being the most likely first colt team in the pyramid. It might be Nairn County U20 as soon as next weekend as they may have applied to join the North Caledonian League and that league is on the verge of becoming a tier 6 feeder to the Highland League next season:

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/nairn-youngsters-could-enter-ncl-195457/

Now back to the usual bile.

Edited by LongTimeLurker