The Office Uk

TheScarf

I prefer the stuff you do about his little hand. 

Its actually a testament to how well written The Office is that I can quite clearly imagine Brent at the Coventry conference and Eric Hitchmough the minute they are mentioned. I have to remind myself that the Coventry conference is a work of fiction and never actually took place. In a previous employment I attended a big company wide conference/presentation in a hotel in Aberdeen, that had people from all over the UK at it, and my brain automatically thinks of that event and my surroundings that day but puts David Brent in my place. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

• 2 weeks later...

My boss mentioned to me he had started watching The Office on Netflix yesterday. I was telling him how much he would enjoy it, how it’s one of my favourite programmes etc. and he turns and says ‘aye is the boss not that guy from Anchorman?’. I had to quickly swallow all the saliva that was in my mouth at that moment, or else I would have involuntary spat in his face.

Told him to watch the UK Office first and he said he tried to but he didn’t find it funny. I will be keeping all future conversations with him to an absolute minimum, and will possibly assault him after my contract ends in September. 

My boss mentioned to me he had started watching The Office on Netflix yesterday. I was telling him how much he would enjoy it, how it’s one of my favourite programmes etc. and he turns and says ‘aye is the boss not that guy from Anchorman?’. I had to quickly swallow all the saliva that was in my mouth at that moment, or else I would have involuntary spat in his face.

Told him to watch the UK Office first and he said he tried to but he didn’t find it funny. I will be keeping all future conversations with him to an absolute minimum, and will possibly assault him after my contract ends in September. 
Presumably because he started watching the US version at season 7 like some kind of weirdo?

On 28/01/2021 at 14:43, Mr X said:
On 23/01/2021 at 09:40, IrishBhoy said:

Presumably because he started watching the US version at season 7 like some kind of weirdo?

He had just started watching the US version last week, he thought it was hysterical. He’s not the brightest guy I’ve ever met so I’m not that surprised that some of the humour in the UK Office went over his head, it is a different type of comedy tbf. 

Ive watched the odd episode of the US Office when it’s been on and I’ve been flicking through the channels, but nothing I’ve seen has ever made me want to go and watch it through from the start. Not saying there’s not a place for it as it’s obviously a hugely successful show, but it’s not for me.

The UK Office on the other hand I have probably seen every episode upwards of 50 times, and I still enjoy it as much now as I did on the first viewing. If I was told I could only watch one episode of any TV programme for the rest of my life I would choose ‘Training’ from series 1, and would still be laughing out loud in 40 years time. 

The UK Office on the other hand I have probably seen every episode upwards of 50 times, and I still enjoy it as much now as I did on the first viewing. If I was told I could only watch one episode of any TV programme for the rest of my life I would choose ‘Training’ from series 1, and would still be laughing out loud in 40 years time. 

I think it'll be a long time before anything comes close to The Office. Most TV these days isn't interested in making good comedy. Aside from Gervais and Merchant, theyll have been some very forward thinking people in the background.

14 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

I think it'll be a long time before anything comes close to The Office. Most TV these days isn't interested in making good comedy. Aside from Gervais and Merchant, theyll have been some very forward thinking people in the background.

It’s superbly written and performed. Coming up on 20 years old now and it’s still one of the best shows of that genre by a fair distance. 

Martin Freeman portraying Tim is probably as close to perfection as you can get from a comedy/mockumentary stand point. 

His monologue in the last episode talking about Dawn and the future is phenomenal. The pain and anguish shown in his face and voice is superb.

11 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Martin Freeman portraying Tim is probably as close to perfection as you can get from a comedy/mockumentary stand point. 

His monologue in the last episode talking about Dawn and the future is phenomenal. The pain and anguish shown in his face and voice is superb.

There are numerous scenes throughout the show where Tim or Dawn are talking about their future ambitions; Tim regularly talks down the job, saying he doesn't want to be involved in the paper industry all his life, Dawn speaks about her dream of becoming an illustrator (keep up the doodling). Those themes are something I would bet a large number of people could relate to, I can even empathise with them myself to a degree. It’s not many people’s ambition to become a receptionist, or work in an office in some out of town industrial estate all their life, but there’s plenty of people out there doing just that who have, or had, dreams and aspirations to move on to bigger and better things.

It’s actually quite a sad moment in the show when Tim accepts the promotion from David, as you can see what path he’s starting to go down, and how he’s starting to accept a life of mediocrity. He talks about getting a £500 pay rise and the chance of being in David’s chair in 3 years time, which was the exact thing he had a go at Gareth for in a previous episode. 

Martin Freeman aside, which cast member from The Office do people think has went on to have the best career?

Gareth and Chris Finch (bloody good rep) both went on to play parts in Game of Thrones. Obviously a massive show, but off the top of my head I think both of their characters only appeared in 4 or 5 episodes, and I don’t remember them having any substantial screen time. Ralph Ineson (Chris Finch), seems to have made himself a decent career as a voice over artist too, think he does the Kia car adverts and I’ve heard his voice on numerous other adverts over the last couple of years. 

After a quick check on Wikipedia it seems Dawn Tinsley has been busy since leaving the reception at Wernham Hogg behind. She’s had parts in Black Books, Ugly Betty, Family Guy and Bobs Burgers. That surprised me as I can’t remember her from anything apart from The Office, I thought she was still living in Florida tbh. 

‘Write down ‘IrishBhoy mused...’’ that Olivia Colman has went on to have a very successful career after appearing in an episode of The Office. Don’t know if she should count since she only appeared in one episode, but she has certainly became one of the most well known actresses to come from the show since her role in The Crown, although she was already familiar to any Peep Show fans. 

The guy who plays Rowan, the trainer in the ‘Training’ episode, also played ‘Stewart Pearson’ in The Thick Of It, the zainy Conservative spin doctor and Malcolm Tuckers opposite number, the bald old git. 

Taking all that in to account, I would say Martin Freeman has went on to have the best career. 

Edited by IrishBhoy