The Office Uk

TheScarf

Accidentally signed up for Amazon Prime yesterday, so thought I would take the opportunity to watch the US version. 

Leaving aside the embarrassing pilot, which is just basically a word-for-word copy of the UK - it is not too bad. (I'm a few episodes into the second series.)

Obviously not a patch on the big daddy Brent, but it has had its moments. 

I’ve watched a couple of episodes but I just don’t rate it. It’s been ‘Americanised’ and is more like a sitcom than a mockumentary.

Some people I know say it’s better than the original. They’re having a laugh saying that! 

I started watching the US one and have enjoyed what I've seen. I question folk that say "X is a better version than Y". They are two totally different shows with the US one just loosely basing itself off the original. The US one has had some outright physical comedy laughs. That's not what the UK one was all about. Two different shows but equally funny IMO.

Accidentally signed up for Amazon Prime yesterday, so thought I would take the opportunity to watch the US version. 

Leaving aside the embarrassing pilot, which is just basically a word-for-word copy of the UK - it is not too bad. (I'm a few episodes into the second series.)

It’s fine but it doesn’t have the depth or subtlety of the British one. Also think the longevity of it ruins a lot of what both shows were trying to do. There’s individual moments of it that are class though.

Favourite episode? Mine is ‘Training’. I think it’s got the most memorable and quotable lines. And the wee nuances from Tim and Rowan the trainer when you see them getting more and more exasperated with Brent and Gareth are superb.

On 02/07/2020 at 13:47, DA Baracus said:

I'd love to have seen a follow up a couple of years after the last episode. Just a regular 30 minute episode where some folk, but mostly David, are interviewed about the series, but it's still filmed.

I'd like to see that David hasn't changed and he lost the bird he took to the Christmas party. Most of all I'd like to see him be absolutely called for all his lies and bullshit, with him being shown the footage and asked to explain his utter nonsense and refusal of reality. Preferably he'd bluster it at first but throughout the episode would be steadily worn until he breaks down and admits it all, like total sobbing and revealing that he's just alone and afraid and knows he's a tosser but can't stop, he's just desperate for folk to like him and is terrified that others won't.

Dark...

On 04/07/2020 at 02:08, IrishBhoy said:

As I said a few pages back, David walking out his office singing along to the complete wrong tune has me close to rolling around my floor laughing every time I see it (not literally). I don’t think we should be crucifying Tim because he smirks at it. 

On 04/07/2020 at 02:31, paranoid android said:

I don't think he's singing the wrong tune - I think he's singing the B section of the piece  when the other two have been singing the A section - Brent gets it right, as we would expect, imo.

On 04/07/2020 at 20:01, Arch Stanton said:

It's not the wrong tune, this is actually how it goes.

This was bugging me

On 06/08/2020 at 15:16, Steve_Wilkos said:

I love the US version. More so than the UK one. I agree it's not really comparable. after season one they go on different paths. I don't think they have to be compared.

Watched a couple of songs from Life on the Road as they pop up on Twitter.

One way in which Life on the Road didn’t really cut it in comparison to the series is the lack of subtlety in the songs.

In the Office, the songs - whilst still really shit - would have taken a bit of thought to write. The lyrics were still subtle and were laced with relatively thought-out metaphors and personification etc, whereas the songs in LOTR could have been written by a 5 year old. They were just Brent’s basic beliefs written in their most simplistic form.

I reckon, for example, if the disability song had been in the series, at least he would have used a metaphor for a disabled person, rather than physically describing people with disabilities. In the training day, he uses “you’re now colour blind” (even though he cant help himself but to partially explain it by just saying “racial”) is much better than the literal wording in the song about equality.

Maybe I’m just being picky, but it seems like that subtlety was really missing from LOTR.